GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:08:37 -0500
Sheikh Omar, welcome back. It is great to learn that even though Dumo is
going through the worst form of torture, the brother is still strong and
keeping faith alive. He and his alleged co-conspirators will eventually be
vindicated. The only criminals we are dealing with here are Yaya, Pap
Cheyassin Secka, prosecutor Wowo and Haddy Roche. Forgot to mention Foday
Barry and the thugs at the NIA. Joseph Joof has also joined the mix.
Together, these vermin cooked up bogus charges against these innocent
citizens, abducted them before everyone's eyes, and continue to incarcerate
them illegally. Some people want to pretend that this is not going on in The
Gambia. But we know better. The despicable actions of these government
sanctioned co-conspirators (Yaya, Secka, Joof et al), will catch up with
them.

I am sure it must be sickening to sit in court and watch clowns from the AG
chambers appear before impotent judges that are scared to touch this case. I
am sure Dumo must be wondering why Joseph Joof does not have the guts to
bring his evidence before a court of law and convict people if they are
guilty. The reason is, Joof and anyone that has a functioning brain, knows
that there is no credible evidence linking these citizens to the crime they
are accused of. I would not be surprised at the end of the day to learn that
some of the people that are accused of this bogus crime did not even know
each other prior to their arrest. Right there, you can throw the conspiracy
charges out of the window. The accused persons have to enter into a joint
enterprise to commit a crime of conspiracy. As we demonstrated months ago,
the 'attempt' charges are even weaker than the 'conspiracy' charges.

Everyone knows that these charges cannot stand up in court. That is why no
government functionary (including the judges) want the case to come to
court. They are all waiting for green-lights from Yaya before they proceed.
No judge wants to be the one that freed Dumo et al. They will search for
every technicality in the book in order to postpone the trial until they are
sure Yaya does not oppose the release of these citizens. That is what is
going on here. We have political prisoners in The Gambia. A politician like
Yaya, and not judges, is deciding the fate of these innocent citizens. The
judiciary needs to step up and do what is right. We are not asking for
favors. We just want the laws of the land to be applied by allowing the
accused persons to be tried before a jury of their peers. That is all.

Sheikh, thanks again for your contributions. Stay strong. Like all terrible
things, this will also come to an end. Dumo survived the Jawara regime. He
will survive this one too.
KB