GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Modou Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:39:51 +0000
First to Yusupha Jow, you see a bootlicker is only a bootlicker, can only be
a bootlicker, will only be a bootlicker who will try to justify any lie his
master lives. Gassama is a bootlicker pure and simple.

And to Gassama, you've gone to great pains to justify how Jammeh got his 200
cattle, ostrichs, camels, eggs, rats, pigs, dogs, bushfowls, chikens,
vultures etc. And you've gone to great pains to calculate how much,
ultimately, he would earn over seven years and how this could run to
millions of dalasi, thereby implying that yes, the president is wealthy
enough to own a mansion, camels, ostriches, rats, pigs, eggs, and could also
donate trucks, ambulances, pigs etc. All this is bogus and the argument of a
classic sycophant who loves the boss more than the boss loves himself.
Indeed, your arguments are nothing but the overzealous rantings of a man who
has lost all sense of proportions, and who will go all out to please the
boss so that he would be regarded in a favourable light, named a patriot,
and ultimately raised to high office in the land. You therefore fail to
convince me because you fail to admit that Jammeh is one of the most corrupt
despots on the African continent, nay, in the whole wide world.

On the question of limiting the terms of the presidency. You say the copy
submitted to the people for referendum did not have the limits. Why, that is
because Jammeh and his military cohorts removed it from the intial draft
submitted by the constitutional review committee. That is because Jammeh
wanted to renege on his promise to the Gambian people to limit the number of
times he could run for President. And what does Islam say about people who
fail to keep their proimises? They are hypocrites, period.

You ask me whether Jammeh has not done better than Jawara. I admit that he
has, only in temrs of infrastructure. But the loans he gets from donors are
gotten in the name of the people. It is the people's tax money that he uses
to do everything he does in the Gambia. We owe him no debt of gratitude for
anything he has done. Moreover, because he has built shools, hospitals,
roads, etc, does not mean that only he is capable of doing so. It is no
reason for him to hold the Gambian nation to ransom, as hostages, and ram
the notion down our throats that he is the only one capable of running the
afffairs of state in our country. You say no government can be forced to
enforce recommendations? That is bogus. It depends on what form of
recommendations. The government belongs to the people and should take all
those actions that are in the best interest of the nation. You know what the
consequences for overstaying in power are, Mr Gassama, don't you? So why are
you being an apologist for Jammeh in everything and anything he does? So my
questions remain unanswered:

1. How did Jammeh get so wealthy that he could declare, in July 2000, at
State House, addressing programmed July 22 movement fanatics and the press,
that he would never be poor, his children would never be poor, and his
grandchildren would never be pooor, after being in power for only seven
years? Surely, the millions you mentioned cannot last so long?

2. Why is Jammeh reneging on his promise to limit the terms of presidency?
Why is he holding our country to ransom?

I await a more acceptable response.

Pamodou