GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:33:12 -0400
Mr.Jobe:

Surprising as it may sound, I believe there are many on this so-called anti-Jammeh forum who seem to be
nodding their heads in agreement to some of your points. Like Saul Khan, I honestly believe that you are one
of the few AFPRC supporters who have really put across a credible case. In fact, the more I read some of the
rebuttal, specifically to the AFPRC’ s projects the more it gives credence to your argument. The lamest
arguments put forward is to call these projects stolen Jawara projects, or even to disingenuously down play
the significance of these projects. I am convince that the motivation that led to these projects was more
political than love of country, but nonetheless the AFPRC deserve credit for pursuing these projects. It is
also very fascinating that the best argument the AFPRC has is the reason for the removal of the Jawara
Administration, and anytime a direct comparison is made, I found myself agreeing with you. To the opposition,
myself included, we become very vulnerable and even troubling to be defending an indefensible Jawara
Administration, or even to suggest that whatever transpired is tolerable and should be forgotten, in order to
help us focus against Jammeh.

 Mr. Jobe, touting the AFPRC projects has become your best argument, and comparing Jammeh’s economic program
in comparison to Jawara still gives you a strong case to make. Corruption was one of the strongest
single-issue used as the justification to bring an end to the Jawara Administration. How would you react to
allegations that Jammeh has become one of the richest leaders in the African sphere? He is involved in lots
of investment opportunities in the Gambia. And Eventhough, Gambia has serious economic challenges, Mr. Jammeh
acquired a plane, and he seems to be directly linked with the business tycoons in the country.  There are
allegations that Jawara might have tolerated corruption in his Administration, but Jammeh is directly involve
with some of these activities that pose serious long term problems to the country. In addition, what would
you tell some of the seriously disappointed coup supporters, who were interested in developmental projects,
political stability, preservation of individual rights, independent judiciary, an end to corruption, and a
new beginning to a new Gambia full of hope and stability. And Mr.Jobe, no matter how convincing the project
argument is there is more to a promising Gambia than the same old justification.

The other single issue that even people who disagree with the Jawara Administration, in a way missed is that
semblance of democracy, fair play, non-government intervention, not getting school children shot at and
killed, and the absence of musical chairs in the civil and public service. The Jawara era argument is, yes we
did not build schools, but we did not murder kids either, and we definitely believed in the rule of law.
I look forward to your comments to the issues raised.

Thanks

Musa Jeng