GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 06:51:57 -0500
Comrades:

The revelation is from The Independent Newspaper:

"New IEC boss stole 1996 election results
Lawyer Darboe tells local press corps

The leader of the United Democratic Party (UDP), Lawyer Ousainou Darboe has
alleged that the new Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) chairman
Gabriel Roberts ''stole'' the 1996 election results to the advantage of the
ruling APRC party. Mr. Darboe said as a result his party has no confidence
in the new IEC boss who presided over the 1996 elections as chairman of the
Provisional Independent Electoral Commission (PIEC).

Addressing a press conference at the UDP bureau, Lawyer Darboe, maintained
that "we do not have any confidence in him because he stole our election
results and give it to the APRC." He said that the removal of Bishop Tilewa
Johnson and another member of the Commission was received with "shock and
dismay by the UDP." He added that their removal happened on the eve of the
"proposed launching of an IEC inter-party consultative committee which
spells bad omen for an enabling environment in which political parties can
get together and exchange ideas for the sustenance of multi party democracy
in The Gambia and ensuring that the playing field is level for all players
be they independent candidates or political party representatives."

Mr. Darboe also argued that no circumstances have arisen under section
42(5) of the constitution, which disqualifies any of them from being
members of the Commission. He added that no allegation of misconduct has
been made against any of them by the president or any other person. He
believed that if such allegation is made the president is constitutionally
bound to appoint a tribunal of three judges of a superior court to
investigate the alleged misconduct. Lawyer Darboe, emphasised that what
President Jammeh has done was a calculated move to give him undue advantage
by putting him in a position to hire and fire Commission members at will,
disregarding the safeguards and guarantees of the tenure of the office
prescribed for Commissioners.

He added that if this is allowed to happen the country's ''Electoral
Commission will never be independent'' ''In fact it will be filled by
cronies of the ruling party'' he warned. He said that the Commission will
"loose its freedom to act impartially in all electoral matters and will be
subjected to the usual APRC harassment, intimidation and coercion." The
sacking of the two IEC members Mr. Darboe noted is not only an extension of
his policy of intimidation but a deliberate attempt to impose his will on
the constitution so that members of the IEC will come under the same
category as other civil servants, whom he enjoys "sacking with impunity."

He said in the event "commission members will be forced to accept the
manipulations of the APRC or face dismissal. Lawyer Darboe indicated that
the event shows clearly that President Jammeh and his ruling APRC party are
not prepared to tolerate any form of opposition or challenge from any
quarter and are compelled to adopt the politics of "exclusion" in order to
survive. He also stressed that a close look at the "carefully selected
proposed amendments" shows that the whole purpose is to concentrate power
in the hands of one man - President Jammeh - to enable him and the ruling
APRC to perpetuate themselves in office.

He urged President Jammeh to respect the constitution and follow proper
procedures by instituting a panel of judges to determine whether there is
any legal basis for the removal of the two men in accordance with section
42(6) (a), (b) and (c) of the state document. Lawyer Darboe, who said he
has consulted other opposition parties regarding the matter also called on
civil society to close ranks with the parties in the "face of this very
serious threat to our country's democratisation process and looming
constitutional crises."

Lamin Waa Juwara the UDP propaganda secretary also indicated that the
reasons why he called for the former IEC chairman to resign was spurred by
the link between the IEC and the PIEC, adding that the IEC did not need
direction from anywhere and should rather resign if it fails to honour its
obligation. Mr. Juwara strongly emphasised that the 1996 elections were not
free or fair and cannot be tolerated again."

My position is clear that Mr. Darboe is too lawyerly.  If he believes that
the election was rigged, why would he come on national TV to declare
dictator dirimo yahya jemus the winner?  Why would he hide at the American
Embassy?  Was Mr. Darboe intimidated?  Did Mr. Darboe betray the
opposition?  Was Mr. Darboe afraid to speak the truth?

My fellow Gambians, Ladies and gentlemen, politics should not be based on
misconceived ideas and lack of fire in one's belly.  A leader should stand
his or her guard and base his or her principles on convictions in the
interest of the electorate.  Mr. Darboe has finally spoken, but will he be
able to carry on the pregnancy?

On one side of the spectrum, I commend Mr. Darboe for coming out of the
closet in addressing this clear message to The Gambian people.  I hope he
can learn from his prior message and stand firm against the dictatorship.

Mr. Darboe has only one chance to convince the opposition that he can lead.
If he fails, we will be waiting at cross-roads to take the mantle from him.
We cannot sit on the sidelines and let the dictator fool us for the second
time.  Time is on our side, and we are patiently waiting.

Long live democracy and down with dictator yahya dirimo jemus.

Naphiyo,

Comrade Muhammad Lamine Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Eastern Kombo Constituency

--- Lamine Conteh
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.