GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:32:21 +0100
From: gook makanga
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 12:43 AM
Subject: On the record at Pafo

On the record at Pafo

Nov 12, 2003

      Eriya Kategaya,
      Former deputy Prime Minister: -
      "This country has no reference library of our past presidents. If I had a chance, I would grab the opportunity to make Uganda be like our two neighbours Kenya and Tanzania where it was established that their presidents can leave the "chair" and remain respected citizens. I hope President Museveni will see the vision of what we are suggesting in earnest."

      Jacqueline Asiimwe-Mwesige,
      UWONET chairwoman: -
      In both Zimbabwe and Malawi, the Church was very instrumental in organising against political repression. In Uganda only one church has been bold enough to speak out in present times. The rest keep a safe distance. But who said silence is safety? The church has been told to mind God's business - so I ask, whose business is politics? Both the Anglican and the Muslim leaders have refused to be 'drawn into the discussion on the politics of our nation but does the silence not speak louder than words? Indeed, silence is a deadly conspiracy.

      Dr Joe Oloka-Onyango,
      Makerere University Faculty of Law: -
      There are some of you who are still close to President Museveni. Counsel him; he needs counselling on his pathological desire to stay in power, which is a sure path to destruction.

      He should be advised on the need to secure his place in history, but more importantly, not to destroy everything that has been built in Uganda over the last two decades.

      There are abundant examples of leaders who gave it up when the going was still good, starting with President Museveni's mentor, Mwalimu Nyerere.
      A good leader can swiftly put an end to those around him/her clamouring for power by making an unequivocal and clear statement that they will not serve an extra term.

      President Museveni can put an end to all this 'nonsense' by unequivocally stating that he will not stand. Clinging onto power, especially as a revolutionary, can only lead to disaster. The Zimbabwe case has several lessons for Uganda, not least among them, the fact that a revolution can go bad. And that the longer power is held onto, the more disastrous the results for the country. Moreover, people may not be so forgiving with a leader who seeks to cling on, as opposed to one who gracefully retires; contrast the case of Fredrick Chiluba of Zambia [now facing corruption charges] and that of Kenneth Kaunda.

      David Pulkol,
      Director General of External Security Organisation: -
      Someone goes to the store to sign for equipment, taxpayer money to go and beat up taxpayers' children. Where is the law that sanctions that there would be no debate on third term and life president? Where is the Parl! iament that made that law? The president should ditch the excess baggage.

      The excess baggage in order to cover up their sins, come in shock and build a wall around the president. If you say we are going to have lunch on Friday and you change, have the courtesy to tell us.

      Maj. John Kazoora,
      MP for Kashaari: -
      Hope we will not hear an announcement [sacking Pulkol] but those announcements no longer matter.

      Cecilia Ogwal,
      MP Lira Municipality: -
      I thank Pafo for giving me an opportunity to listen to Pulkol. He spoke as if he is not the one who has been bugging my phone.

      Lt. Bahati,
      Makerere University: -
      Our Movement is confusing us who are still hanging there. When we raise the issue of third term, they say don't think about it. When there was a problem of the jet, he came very quickly and wrote an article. When Cardinal speaks out, then it is a problem. Doesn't Nkoyoyo have a problem in Muhabura or in New Hampshire?

      Prof. Fredrick Juuko,
      Law School, Makerere Makerere University Faculty of Law: -
      Parliament presents the only viable peaceful change in this country. MPs need to realise this. Parliament has been used as an instrument of dictatorship as was the case with the Political Organisations Act.

      John Ken Lukyamuzi,
      MP, Lubaga South:
      Now the president has declared to the IGG that he has Shs 5 million. Where did he get the money to take his daughters to Germany as he claimed that he paid for their stay there for a month?

      Maj. Bright Rwamirama,
      MP for Isingiro North: -
      Article 105 (2) was an input of the Movement. What has happened that we need to change it? What are the reasons to propose for the change?

      Irene Ovonji Odida,
      East Africa MP: -
      There is life after the President... life after State House.

© 2003 The Monitor Publications

Gook

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X