GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:20:41 -0400
NADD ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL

Once upon a time, there were two rival musicians, each claiming to be
more popular than the other. An elderly wise man was passing by and
asked why they were about to fight to hurt each other? Each musician
drummed his chest in defense of his ability to sway and swell a crowd
better than the other. The elderly man intervened and offers a solution
to their problem. Let's take it to the stage, said the elderly man. On
stage, the crowd will decide who is the best and most popular. From that
day onward, the STAGE became the battleground and the "contest-ground"
for anyone who claims to master the art of music and make fanatics
(fans) of his listeners.

Similarly, in the conditioned political arena, the people and their
"VOTES" make up the contest-ground for the rivalry of unscrupulous and
tyrant-politicians who impose their own puppet "Independent" Electoral
Council (IEC) on the opposition parties in blatant violation of the
"constitution". In this instance, the IEC should have played the role of
the elderly wise man by intervening for the interest of the country but
instead remains a puppet to Jammeh's dictates. A reminder to NADD:
"those who cast the votes determine nothing; those who count the votes
determine everything".

The rate at which Jammeh illegally hires and dismiss the chairpersons of
his puppet IEC, is there any wonder that the IEC will not count the
votes in Jammeh's favor? The IEC is as illegitimate as the regime that
controls and dictates its functions. In our view, the IEC has never been
"independent", it is just another personal property of Jammeh. This
existing political dilemma which we have been conditioned to accept,
defend and participate in as the "democratic process" is our worst
enemy. This political dilemma and our conditioned minds must be changed
if we are to move forward in Africa.

Beginning on July 20th, 2006, the National Alliance for Democracy and
Development (NADD), the legitimate alternative to the AFPRC-APRC,
embarked on a country wide sensitization tour unprecedented in the
political history of the Gambia. Under the leadership of our indomitable
campaign coordinator, Lamin Waa Juwara, every hamlet and village will be
visited by our courageous teams to spread the message that only in NADD
will we Gambians bring back happiness into our lives.

Despite all the repressive decrees imposed upon the illegal
"Independent" Electoral Council (IEC), the restricted access to the
national media (radio Gambia and TV station), the terror unleashed on
the independent media houses including Radio Fm 1 and the constrain on
resources, the NADD tour was a success. The Gambian people have never
seen such an organized political campaign in the past three decades. In
the past, during the P.P.P era, political campaigns use to be "drive-in"
by day and "drive out" before dusk into the government rest houses.
AFPRC-APRC being a replica continuation of P.P.P adopted the same style
of meeting the people, including their annual "meet the farmers' tour".
They have been meeting with our broken-hearted farmers for a sum total
of 40 years without any relief from their miserable existence. Now,
hardly any Gambian wants to be a farmer.

NADD is here to reverse and eradicate this parasitic relationship the
AFPRC-APRC has continued with the Gambian people. We strongly believe
that the horrors of the past twelve years of the APRC regime has sparked
the flames of political maturity among the Gambian masses, who we are
confident will make the right decision by voting NADD.

NADD'S EYE IS ON THE PRIZE

Under the leadership of our experienced campaign coordinator, Waa
Juwara, whose experience as a commissioner in all five divisions in the
country is now bearing fruit; our tour strategy will be undertaken by
three teams. Each team is comprised of 8-10 militants.

Team A has canvassed Niamina East and the two Fuladus, Central River
Division (CRD south) then proceeded to CRD north covering Sami,
Janjangbure, Niani, Nianija, Upper and lower Saloum including Sabach
Sanjal and the Badibus'.

Team B will cover Upper and Lower Nuimi, Jokadu and Foni.

Team C will cover all the constituencies in the Upper River Division
(URD).

This strategy is unprecedented in the campaign history of the Gambia.
Our teams have initiated a new way of dealing with the Gambian people on
the basis of honesty and that we really do care about the welfare of the
country. Another unique aspect of the tour is the dialogue that the
people have engaged in with our teams. They continue to raise critical
issues notably the rift between NADD and UDP/NRP and most important, the
economic and social issues that continue to make their lives a miserable
existence such as the disastrous Groundnuts trade season. They have come
to realize that their interest must be linked with a sincere leadership,
willing to make equal sacrifice as they demand of them.

Because of the open and honest discussions our teams engage in with the
people; living and eating with them, we have won the confidence of many
who showed interest to be part of the process for a solution under a
NADD leadership. Several people volunteered to assume responsibility as
youth leaders, chairmen and chairwomen in their respective towns and
villages.

Even as our courageous teams initiated the discussions on the economic
disaster of the vampire APRC regime, the farmers and their families
articulated their frustrations and understanding of why their groundnuts
are rotting in warehouses while they starve. We will make sure that this
social awareness of the down trodden farmers, workers (including the
unemployed), students and women continue to increase hundred-fold as we
march towards victory over the AFPRC-APRC regime.

This has been the quest for NADD; to create a socially conscious base of
highly informed Gambian voters as oppose to the "blind patriots" who
chase after the bloody crumbs of the Jammeh regime. The vast majority of
the Gambian people know that any further existence of the Jammeh regime
spells our doom. Therefore, rather than playing games with our lives in
pursuit of narrow selfish interests, all those who see and know that the
Jammeh regime represents the biggest threat to Gambia's "national
security" should cast their lot with NADD.

Finally, Jammeh has been riding on our backs for too long and openly
digging the grave of our future, the youth. Jammeh and his APRC are on
the brink about to sink, would you save him or your beloved Gambia? You
have your own minds, use it to secure a proud-future Gambia; you will be
remembered for eternity. We have finally exposed the rotten political
foundation upon which the APRC came into existence.

"Chop their rice but vote your conscience".

             LONG LIVE NADD! VICTORY IS CERTAIN!

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい