GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:47:47 EDT
As of Sunday April 23 we have received contributions from 57 individuals and
The Gambia Association of Chicago a sum total of $3063 (Three thousand and
sixty-three dollars). For an exact breakdown of the donations, please go to
www.gambian.com and click the Massacre Action Plan icon. We are very grateful
for those that promptly sent in their contributions but clearly the
overwhelming majority of Gambians in the US have not participated. I have
made out of state calls  and visited folks within the metro DC area but we
must do more to get people involved. I think list members would agree we
cannot fall short of our objectives especially the important short term goal
of helping the families of the bereaved and securing the release of students
and parents languishing in jail. We had a meeting with the coordinator
yesterday and it was decided that work on securing the release of detainees
would begin tomorrow (Monday) the 24th Our efforts would be geared towards
complimenting the valiant efforts of a group of lawyers who have already done
preparatory work to secure their release. They are working probono but with
our help in defraying  the costs of further investigations and  possible
defense of those students that may be charged  we would be able  to work
towards the ultimate objective of standing up for the children.By the end of
the week I would post a suggested amount to be given to the families of each
of the fourteen victims for list members to approve upon which they would be
disbursed. A condolence letter on  our behalf was published and announced in
Gambia.  I hope we would soon be able to coordinate with the European effort
to enable us to gauge our overall financial situation. Together we will do
something about these brutal murders

Thanks
Karamba