GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:56:49 -0500
Kabir, again you have called it in a way only you know how. Your postings
are always a source of inspiration for me. I still go back to your 'Good v.
Evil' posting now and again. You touched on a very vital issue that we tend
to overlook; i.e. people's belief in God and how that relates to the way we
should live our lives. You are right that come Day of Judgment, many will be
surprised. I however, will not be surprised by a lot of people. Kabir, let
us thank God for letting us see things the way we do.

As far as some of our countrymen and women are concerned, some of the
despicable actions they engaged in, need not even be ascribed to Devil
worshippers. In other words, even people that have never had the word 'God'
should not be engaging in some of the things our fellow 'Muslims and
'Christians' engage in.

I always shy away from talking about religion and people's beliefs. But I
think it would suffice for me to say that as religion and commonsense taught
us, the least someone can do in the face of INJUSTICE, is to SPEAK OUT
against it. To go behind people's back and pit them against their families
in order to stop them from speaking against injustice, is irreligious.

But Kabir, the main reason I decided to comment on your piece is to
highlight the importance of the role our families play in this struggle.
Fortunately or unfortunately, some of us have very good families back home.
People that we listen to and try to accommodate when possible. For instance,
it touched my heart when Saul Khan told us that his uncle spoke to him and
he listened. That is the way we are. Imagine how it would be like if Yaya
was  from a family where he had honest and strong elders guiding him through
the right Path. At least he would not go on national TV and insult all our
parents. At least he would show some genuine compassion to the families of
Ebrima Barry and the children that were massacred on April 10 and 11, 2000.

But the operative phrase here is 'honest and strong elders'. We have some,
but we need more of these. We have to rid ourselves of this low expectation
syndrome. It is Not true that God put Yaya in power so that he can murder
our children. It is Not true that God put Yaya in power so that he can loot
the government coffers and render Gambian farmers destitute. What is more
likely, is that God put Yaya in power in order to test the rest of the
Gambian population. God might want to know who among us will easily mortgage
his or her soul to the Devil? Who among us will see injustice and not speak
out against it? Who among us will help Yaya draft draconian laws to
imprison, torture and murder innocent Gambians? Who among us will volunteer
to accompany Yaya to Hell? This can be dismissed as moralizing, but I have
no doubt in my mind that one day when it is all said and done, we will come
back to these people that mortgage their souls to the Devil and ask them to
swallow their garbage and they will.

They get signs everyday, but they are too blind to see the light. Blinded by
greed and callousness. Take someone like Pap Cheyassin Secka for instance.
Secka thinks he is a religious person. Many in our society think that he is
religious too. Judging from this man's action, you tell me whether you think
that this person is a good man. But the sad thing is that this man is so
blind that if Yaya were to recall him today, he will come back and be more
despicable at his job than he was earlier on. These people are incapable of
seeing the signs. They are a lost cause. Tell me, what do you do with a man
that spend the whole night committing adultery with a woman and then wake up
at the crack of dawn and rushes for his fajr prayers at the mosque? If this
isn't mocking God, what is? All these people know that what they are doing
is wrong. They can tell Good from Evil. They decided to be evil because that
is the easier thing to do in their myopic lifestyles.

Going back to our families, let us not underestimate the influence we also
have with our families. When these vermin try to undermine us with our
families, let us in a respectful way, convince our folks about what is the
right and godly thing to do. This is War between Good and Evil. Good will
always prevail, but we must not sit on our laurels. Let us help some of our
people get rid of this acute low expectation syndrome. Let us canvass them
and let them know that Gambia deserves better than Yaya and can do lot
better without Yaya. The murderer of our children should not be allowed to
lead us. The man that cut the hand that feeds our farmers should not be
allowed to lead us.

The forces of evil are at work. We should get to work too and not
underestimate the challenge. People should call their parents, brothers,
sisters, cousins, friends etc. and ask them to stand up against the evil and
injustice that goes on in our society. I call my own mother to try and
convince her to exercise her right to vote. I had meant to write this piece
about us contacting our families when I spoke to my mother and discovered to
my horror that left to her alone, she might not even vote for the
Opposition. She would stay at home come election day. I was horrified
because I took it for granted that people back home that know the suffering
do not need us to tell them what to do with Yaya. I counsel people in the
Diaspora to help the Opposition by canvassing their friends and families.
Contrary to the lies Yaya and his cohorts spread, we in the Diaspora are the
people that are sustaining the Gambian economy. Without the money we send to
our families, all our people will be in the streets begging for food. Take
for instance the number of Gambian pilgrims this year. The overwhelming
majority were sent by their families from the Diaspora. Those that were sent
from Yaya's ill-gotten gains, only the Lord can have mercy on them. Let us
engage our families and spread the Good word. Let us not leave it to the
shenanigans of Yaya and his cohorts to misinform our families. Gambians are
basically good and God-fearing people. We must not allow a few Devil
worshippers in our midst to lead all of us to Hell. Again, the least we can
do when faced with injustice, is to speak out against it.

Kabir, thanks again for your insights and do please keep in touch.
KB

PS: I had drafted this before I saw that brother George is back. We thank
God for your recovery. Welcome back. I hope you continue the great work you
are doing in the struggle. You have a stronger ally than these Devil
worshippers. So, fear nothing.