GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 04:58:01 PDT
MusA,

You know the problem is that the Gambian people are deny  access /possibility
to speak their minds as free people,the problem is not G-L but the effort and
desire of the this brutal regime to control the minds of the people.It is only
in the Gambia-L that one is free to speak his or her own mind and be defended
to do so even if the issue is not relevant to the person defending,you are
very right,we have perhaps never come so close to democracy,even though
sometimes we see tendencies that are meant to discredit this forum,but the
rules are here and they are always put to action.That this forum is taken as
an anti-Jammeh forum should not worry you that much,the reason being that
those who are speaking their minds against the Jammeh regime are perhaps at
this moment the majority and have nothing to lose.In any any real democracy
the majority decision prevail and at the same time take note of the minority
decision,the minority are speaking their mind and they are defended to do so.
As Saul rightly said,this is the only place where Gambians can speak their
minds without fear of losing this forum or their jobs.The day after the
massacre of the students,people were speaking their minds in the radio
programmes, more powerfully than we have ever done here in the forum.Saul is
very right to say that we are not saying much,I wish your cousin in Banjul  is
able to provide you with a recorded version of some of these programme,then
you will get to understand that we are  just not saying much,or perhaps some
one should help you to get access to Padacostas speech.
Concerning some of the proposals coming from the G-l.I think MUSA,every
sincere Gambia should not sit and be a passive onlooker to all the events that
are unfolding in that country.We have a conscience,if we cannot remove Jammeh
then the little we can do is to speak   our minds.There is nothing wrong for
some members of  the G-L to write a letter to Jammeh or any body else to say
that we are expecting a free and fair elections or that they should stop
murdering our brothers and sisters,Musa I dont think you are telling us that
such is wrong and could be undermining the credibility of the G-l.?,leaving in
this peaceful Europe we should be able to say to our people we are with you in
these difficult times.Such moves does not mean that we share any political
ideology,my political believes with that of Ebrima Ceesay or Saul Khan could
be very different,but we might have one thing in common and that is concern
for our country.The traditional Bantaba is able to survive back home because
it is from there that many events in the life of the village unfold.The G-l is
popular in the Gambia because it is in line with popular opinion at home,this
will only increase the value and credibility of the G-L and there is nothing
to fear,no need to ring a bell.JAMMEH MUST GO BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY !!!

For Freedom
Saiks

You hit the nail on the head concerning the state of Gambia-L. Gambia-l is
here for all to spill out their obstinate opinion without fear or favor, but
until we learn to disagree and work toward the 'big picture', Africa's
problems will forever remain ominous.

Malafy "Mafy" Jarju