GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:23:16 +0000
Culled from Allafrica.  Jammeh is really sick, ignorant, and an
embarrassment to our country.  Who is telling this starch head that he owns
Gambia and her resources?  Let him keep it up.  His days are really numbered
and justice shall be served to all involved.  Please check out the
buffoonery in Yaya.

Jammeh Calls for Change in Bakau

The Daily Observer (Banjul)

February 6, 2003
Posted to the web February 6, 2003

Omar Bah & Alieu Badara Ceesay
Banjul

As the President's Meet-The-People's Tour ends in Bakau, the people of the
township have as usual received the hard-telling criticism of the head of
state for what he described as their continued support of the opposition.

President Jammeh who spoke at length said the natives of Bakau are
apparently responsible for the abject poverty and hardship they are living
in.

Join allAfrica's Discussion:

How to Wage the War on AIDS >>

He apparently told them in their faces that their town would have been even
better developed than Serrekunda if they had chosen to change the status
quo.

He pointed out that he will never be involved in enmity with them, or resort
to insulting them, but elucidated the fact that they have no reason being in
opposition to him.

According to him, the first set settal in KMC in 1994, was done in Bakau.

He said their continued lingering within the opposition branch drew him
aback by resorting to watching them, adding that the whole country have been
looking at them with suspicious eyes.

President Jammeh however decried the fact that the people of Bakau have not
received him with the cordiality that is expected.

"Where are the people of Bakau when there are meetings? All of you go home
and leave behind women and children. But I don't pay those credits (sic)
because of the women who are always with me. You the people of Bakau are the
ones plunging yourselves into suffering because all those who are misleading
you are not suffering as they live in peace in Pipeline. Have sympathy for
yourselves and your children," he averred.

The President however made it clear that he has not come to insult the
people of Bakau. He said even if his mother has not been living in Bakau for
the past 20 years, he wouldn't do so. He acknowledged the fact that vague
claims of some people being Mandinkas are unfounded, as according to him,
surnames like Bojang, Jammeh and Jarjue-Sey are not found in Mali.

"What is important is that if you say you have come to APRC, you can fool
Jammeh but you cannot fool Allah. Bakau people, leave what you are doing so
that you can develop, if not your course to development won't be easy," he
emphasised.

The President re-echoes his unreserved criticism on those he says are bent
on misleading the people. "Why can't they face me and tell me? The reason
why I am always going to Kanilai is that I thought, if they cannot meet me
at State House, they would meet me in Kanilai and tell me the nonsense that
they are saying."

Economy The Gambian leader condemned claims that there is an "economic
crisis" in the country. He described such talks as utterly unfounded.

"There is no economic crisis in this country. In the whole of Africa, we are
the only country that increases salaries by six per cent each year. You
cannot even see five per cent increment in other countries." He renewed his
castigation of laid back Gambian men, stating that there would be no
meaningful development "if everyone wears a gown and sit at the Bantaba with
a rosary in hand, while women are working. It is high time for us to change
our attitudes." He said several millions have been invested in the Tanji
Fisheries Project which according to him have all gone to foreigners. "This
really hurts me," he added.

He further stated that whenever it is time for "Siarreh," fish shortage will
hit town because the foreigners who work there would have gone. He said even
butchery have been taken over by foreigners while Gambians assume
"bigmanship" postures.