GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gibby Cham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:58:59 -0700
 You know something, I have to give kudos to Yahya. As dumb as he may look, I think he is a smart guy. He has learnt alot for the past 7 or 8 years in his role as president. Now that he knows being the head of a nation is not as simple as he thought, he is now making some excellent moves. Bringing back the former president home is a thoughtful thing by Yaya. Sir Dawda's presence and contribution in the Gambia is extremely vital to the economic development of the country, and I'm glad the president realises that now. now that there seems to be some kind of bonding between the two, we might all just say Amen.....
I hope this is a start for an upward movement of the economy and conditions of the country.
Gibby

It now
  Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]> wrote: [ This e-mail is posted to Gambia|Post e-Gathering by "Jungle Sunrise" ]

Culled from The Daily Observer - Bakary Muritala.

Please enjoy and have a good day, Gassa.

Former President Jawara yesterday paid a courtesy call on President Jammeh
at the Statehouse three weeks after his return from exile in the UK.

Speaking to the press after a closed-door tet-a-tete with the president, Sir
Dawda Jawara said his homecoming was in response to the unconditional
amnesty granted him by President Jammeh.

He hailed President Jammeh's amnesty offer as a good will gesture that would
"contribute to national reconciliation and harmony".

"It was wonderful to meet him to discuss matters generally. I have a feeling
that this gesture of the president to invite me to come back home would
contribute to a lasting reconciliation and harmony," he said.

The septuagenarian statesman, who looked calmed and relaxed, further said:
"I am back here as an elder statesman. My role will be that of an elder
statesman. I am not taking part in active party politics... I will put my
advise and experience at the disposal of the President and the nation".

Ex-President Jawara said President Jammeh facilitated his homecoming in many
ways as renovating his house to "a very high standard and in fact he has
made it a major one".

HOMECOMING

Sir Dawda said he was happy to be home "It has been great and wonderful to
be back home and to meet so many of my family and the people of the Gambia.
... My greetings to all Gambians without exception. I am extremely happy to
be back home after so long abroad".

President Jammeh on his part said all that happened had become past event
and that he had nothing against him (Jawara).

"I feel good that he has come back to settle as it is unprecedented in the
history of Africa to come back home and settle as an elder statesman", he
said.

He added that ex-president Jawara had a lot of experience in many areas such
as politics and leadership, "and with his experience also, we can move
together to develop the country".

He said his government was ready to work with him (Jawara) where and when
necessary to develop the country.

When asked on what issue of concern his discussion with Sir Dawda centered,
President Jammeh said: " My only concern was whether he is comfortable at
home and whether he has any major problems. We realised that he does not
have any problems at home".

[ with the following command in the body of your email message : ]
[ unsubscribe gambia-post ]
[ Be sure to e-mail List Management for assistance at [log in to unmask] ]
[ Don't forget to vistit our websites : http://www.gambiatalk.net ]
[ http://www.gambiatalk.com ]