GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:28:36 -0400
Mr. Jassey-Conteh,
I have responded to this question privately on several occasions to members
and non-members alike. I guess I must go public now that you have expressed
your concern about my "silence" on issues specific to political developments
in the Gambia. The Articles Establishing the ADB and other Bank regulations
do not allow me to publicly comment on matters deemed to be of internal
political nature by Members States.  However, avenues and channels have been
provided in the regulations for staff to express views/concerns on issues of
governance. Infact, I am expected to register both my personal views and the
Bank's position to Member States, The Gambia included. I believe, I have
been doing w
hat is expected of me in my current function.  Refraining from
making public comments on Gambian politics does not mean that I am
apolitical.  I have views on politics, as I have on economic/financial and
social issues. For the time I have left at the ADB, I can only publicly
express those views that are not considered to be of an internal political
nature by shareholders. Participating, as I do, on this and similar fora,
has associated risks but it is a risk worth taking because of the value I
derive out it; of getting to exchange ideas/views. I hope that you
appreciate my position.
sidi sanneh