GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 15:09:37 -0700
    MANLAFY JARJU ( MAFY)

Up to this moment I had decided to care less about
those Yaya loyalists bent on distracting me no matter
what until now, when I think some of them are going
too far especially the gentleman called Manlafy Jarju.
This man is somehow posing a serious but unwarranted
threat to my personal credibility that I must address
now. Certainly I don’t know him and most likely he
does not know much about me either, apart from perhaps
the things people have been telling us about each
other. Call it even “kankang” ones. Yes, I have heard
that he is a successful person working in certain
airline business and is credited with admirable
academic credentials. I have also learnt from his
writings that he is a loyalist to Yaya Jammeh but with
a rather fanatical zeal, which I can relate to as
perfectly normal.

What I cannot however understand is his intellectual
dishonesty when it comes to defending Yaya against his
critics. He has amazingly challenged me over and over
about my hidden identity issue, which I simply ignored
because it had always been irrelevance to my mission.
The name Ebou Colly has been a pen name I started
using since 1994 and there are several GNA officers
who very well know who I am, both inside and outside
the Gambia. In addition to that, the GNA was and is
still a small army where everybody literally knows
everybody; hence given the information I often share
with my readers in the language I tell it, they
wouldn’t need to crack their brains to decipher the
author behind my stories. I am telling serious things,
and I mean to keep it that way. Almost everybody knows
who I am.

That brings me to why I said Manlafy has not been at
all honest with what he is trying to portray when he
stated in one of his postings that Ebou Colly is more
or less every author in the G-L showing radical
anti-Yaya views in their various articles. To those
who are easily gullible to printed messages, some
might soon start thinking that his statements about me
are true and that I am not serious after all.

 I could further recall one of his postings in the
past when I tried to shed some light on that dubious
coup conspiracy in which Almamo and Dumbuya were
killed. Mafy at one point was so much inclined to
destroy my image that he baselessly fabricated some
story to the effect that Landing Sanneh was soon
expected to confess on Gambia TV the names of those
behind the coup and that I might be one of them. I
knew that such a TV confession was never going to take
place, so I only ignored that subject and concentrated
on more important things. Mafy has used every kind of
threat or uttered all kinds of generalize allegations
he could imagine to discredit what I stand for. At all
times none meant much to me until now, when I have
noticed with regret how some readers have swallowed
and never digested his latest raw information that
everyone out there was me. I must reiterate that Mafy
does not know me that much, a fundamental reason why I
think he has been desperately trying his cheap ways to
silence me.

Anyhow to tell the truth, I couldn’t harbor an iota of
anger against him for his unfair tactics or present
unfortunate behavior. Instead, I think I pity him more
than anything else. For years he had thought and lived
his so-called happy life with Yaya Jammeh being an
absolute adorable and lovable personality in his
world. Perhaps he had in some cases danced, jubilated
and celebrated in public and private to the name of
Yaya and the great things he had always thought went
with it. And I am positive that he was not alone in
that sincere mental frame; only that, may be, he was a
little more on the extrovert’s line that the common
gang of fanatics blindly loyal to the loser. Then
suddenly within this short period, god, or to sound
more secular, nature began to reveal to all sane
humans that the person supposedly termed a saint since
he headed The Gambia almost six years ago was actually
a demon in his last failing moments. The climax of all
of it was demonstrated when he ordered the shooting to
death of innocent, unarmed school children that is now
being condemned by all decent humans in the world
around. I can honestly say that in his private moments
Mafy as intelligent as I am made to know who he is
might be shedding tears of regret, like all of us,
over why Yaya committed such a stupid and fatal
blunder. However, in public, it should not surprise us
when Mafy acts in the way he believes best suits the
character associated with Yaya’s blind loyalists. For
him to say that he was a very happy man enjoying life
in the wake of 12 school children in The Gambia
ordered killed by Yaya for no justifiable reason,
signified an unfortunate state of mind. If he is not
just trying to provoke controversy, which is still not
quite right, I must say that there is something
seriously wrong with him.

However, the bottom line, up front, is that I am
genuine in what I am doing with a seriousness that I
am not toying around with. If I had not informed the
world with provable facts that Yaya’s government was
lying about rubber bullet guns being used by the
forces in the children’s demonstration, instead of
live rounds the story might have still been used by
the butchers. The ridiculous cheap shot about the
criminals taking the weapons from the police stations
to shoot at the children is now a dead and forgotten
lie because I think I clearly explained the
impossibility of it happening. And I will continue to
tell the truth as I found it necessary. And believe in
me Mafy I have never used any name other than my
1994-pen name Ebou Colly and I planned to keep it that
way. I don’t know whether it was you or Mr. Bajo who
once threaten to find me where I was “hiding” in the
Bronx, but if you are the one with that scheme, I’ll
be happy to welcome you tete-a-tete. So for god’s sake
Mafy, get off my back and understand that you are not
my enemy, Yaya is. If you really think Yaya killing
those little angels was a source of happiness and joy
in your life, go ahead and enjoy yourself. But please
know that we are all mourning our children among whom
a very close relative of mine lost his only son.

Ebou Colly