GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Jabang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:07:07 GMT
Asalaamu alaikum Dr. Saine,

Alhamdulillah wa sallalaahu wa sallim ala Khaatim al-Anbiyya, Nabiyyina
Muhammad sallalahu alayhi  wa sallam.

You wrote:

With all due respect to Mr. Jabang and not withstanding his
>other informative postings on prayer(s), Islam etc. this one is a little
>troubling. These Islamic scholars like some other scholars, often have a
>vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Unfortunately, for some
>of these scholars, religion is often used as an ideological tool to
>mystify, justify and ultimately legitimize unequal gender relations.>

Dr. Saine, I beg to differ with you. No, I don't think there is anything
remotely troubling with the fiqh rulings by the rich array of irrudite
Islaamic scholars and Imaams in the posting concerning Muslim wives serving
their husbands.

Why? Each of these scholars have based their rulings and deductions on the
Qur'aan and Sunnah as clearly explained by our great Shaickh, al-Munajjid.
Indeed, the best approach to fiqh (jurisprudence), aqeedah (belief)or any
branch of Islaam for that matter is to base one's evidence and deductions
from the Qur'aan and Sunnah according to the understanding of the pious
predecessors ( the Prophet (SAW) and his companions, the generation
following them and the one after that as well as those who followed in their
footsteps).

Dr. Saine, as a respectable political scientist and scholar I am
disappointed that you can blanketly refer to Imaam Bukhaari, Imaam
at-Tabari, Shaick al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyya etc. as 'scholars (for whom)
religion is often used as an ideological tool to mystify, justify and
ultimately legitimize unequal gender relations'. You have not given us any
evidence from the said article or elsewhere that substantiates your above
claim. Rather, you just preferred to make a blanket statement. That is
unconvincing and unscholarly.

Remember, we are talking about FIQH; and so if you want to show this forum
that the above imaams and others that you generalized about that I did not
mention are propagating the so-called 'isms' that you mentioned, you should
point out their 'errors' and substantiate your arguments with CONCRETE
evidence from the Qur'aan and Sunnah by other scholars. That is the correct
(Minhaj) methodology in Islaamic scholarship ( speaking with knowledge and
evidence from the Qur'aan and Sunnah).

I know you will be hard pressed to do that. Why? Because, Imaam Bukhaari
compiled the best book of Hadith (Sahih Bukhaari) that all Muslims depend on
for their religious practice; Imaam at-Tabari compiled one of the best
tafseer (interpretations) of the Qur'aan (tafsir at-Tabari) and Shaick al
Islaam Ibn Taymiyya is ranked as one of the most knowledgible in all
branches of Islaamic knowledge in the history of the Ummah. His
contemporaries said he was an Ayah (sign from Allah). He was a Hanbali
jurisprudent by training but later on went into all other Madhhabs and his
contemporaries say his knowledge of these Madhhabs surpassed that of highly
regarded schlars belonging to them. He is the teacher of other great Imaams
such as Ibn Qayyim, adDhahabi, Ibn Katheer etc.

I can write a volume about the piety and scholarship of these scholars but
this is not the place for that. Whenever, I seek a fiqh ruling as in the
case under contention, I look for theirs, knowing that Allah made them heirs
to the Prophets (alayhi salaam). And when I find their rulings as in this
case and many others I stick to it in obedience of Allah, Who said: 'wa
aati'ullah wa rasuulahu wa uulil amr minkum', Obey Allah and the Messenger
(SAW) and those in authority (scholars and leaders) among you.

To answer your question, yes, I totally agree with these Imaams (Raheemahu
Allah) in any ruling and piece of knowledge they provide that is based on
the Qur'aan and Sunnah and the practice of the pious predecessors. May Allah
never put any rancour or displeasure in our hearts for these noble scholars
and make us drink satisfactorily from their ocean of knowledge. May Allah
make us hearers of the message and  followers of the best of it. May Allah
give honour to Islaam and Muslims.
May Allah increase us in knowledge. Allahumma salli wasallim ala Nabiyyina
Muhammad. Wasalaam.

Modou Mbye