GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:20:58 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:36:31 -0400
From: Mara Vanderslice <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [jubilee-usa-net] Debt legislation passes the Senate- ACT NOW!

Jubilee USA Action Alert--Update on Debt Legislation

Watch your mailboxes for the next Jubilee newsletter with updates on all
aspects of our work for complete debt cancellation, including the
illegitimate debt project, report-back from the G8 and plans for a massive
mobilization for the World Bank and IMF Fall meetings.

DEBT LEGISLATION HAS PASSED THE SENATE - NOW, HELP US WIN IN THE HOUSE!

	**WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW MORE THAN EVER**

In April, companion bills were introduced in the House and Senate that, if
passed, would provide deeper debt relief by cutting an additional $1 billion
in debt service.  These bills, the Debt Relief Enhancement Act of 2002 (HR
4524 and S 2210), have solid bipartisan support.

For the Jubilee USA Network position on the legislation, please visit:
http://www.jubileeusa.org/jubilee.cgi?path=/take_action&page=New_Debt_Legisl
ation.html

In the last few weeks, significant progress has been made in both the Senate
and the House.  The Senate version was incorporated into S. 2525 “The United
States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Act of 2002.”
This bill, sponsored by Sens. Kerry and Frist, unanimously passed the Senate
on July 12.  However, the language is not as strong and binding as we want.
This means that we need to work even harder to get support in the House of
Representatives.

Rep. Smith has requested a mark-up of his bill before the House
International Relations Committee. While no date has been set, this is a
strong step forward.  In addition, the
bill is continuing to attract co-sponsors from both parties.

**Because of this request, Jubilee USA has expanded its list of target
congressional districts.  A list of these names follows.  If you live in
these districts or know someone who does, please take action now!

We need you to write letters and make phone calls to these Representatives
to urge them to co-sponsor HR 4524.  District visits are needed now more
than ever!  Congress is in recess the entire month of August - this is a
perfect time to set up a meeting with your Representative in the district
office.

Arizona
----------
Flake (1-AZ)
Kolbe (5-AZ)

California
------------
Bono (44-CA)
Gallegly (23-CA)
Horn (38-CA)
Rohrabacher (45-CA)
Royce (39-CA)

Colorado
---------
Schaffer (4-CO)
Tancredo (6-CO)

Delaware
----------
Castle (At large-DE)

Florida
---------
Ros-Lehitnen (18-FL)

Illinois
----------
Biggert (13-IL)
Hastert (14-IL)
Hyde (6-IL)
Shimkus (20-IL)

Indiana
--------
Burton (6-IN)
Kerns (7-IN)

Iowa
-------
Ganske (4-IA)
Latham (5-IA)
Nussle (2-IA)

Kansas
--------
Ryun (2-KS)

Louisiana
----------
Cooksey (5-LA)
McCrery (4-LA)

Maryland
----------
Gilchrest (1-MD)

Minnesota
----------
Ramstad (3-MN)

Nebraska
----------
Bereuter (1-NE)

New Hampshire
---------------
Sununu (1-NH)

New Jersey
--------------
Ferguson (7-NJ)
Roukema (5-NJ)

New York
----------
Gilman (20-NY)
Houghton (31-NY)
King (3-NY)

North Carolina
----------------
Ballenger (10-NC)

Ohio
------
Chabot (1-OH)
Oxley (4-OH)

Pennsylvania
--------------
Pitts (19-PA)

Texas
------
Armey (26-TX)
Paul (12-TX)

Virginia
---------
Davis, Tom (11-VA)
Wolf (10-VA)

Wisconson
----------
Sensenbrenner (9-WI)

Wyoming
--------
Cubin (WY)

Write a letter, make a phone call, and consider organizing a district
visit.  The following representatives are extremely important.  We need your
action to make sure the legislation passes!  Contact Sarah for more
information and help in organizing: [log in to unmask] or
202-546-4470.

Sample Letter to Members of Congress

Dear Representative --:

I am writing to express my support for deeper debt cancellation for
impoverished countries.  Debt relief has proven to be effective in putting
kids in school and saving lives through increased access to health.
However, debt relief has not gone far enough. Complete debt cancellation is
needed for the fight against HIV/AIDS and to ensure global security through
poverty reduction.

Please co-sponsor the “Debt Relief Enhancement Act of 2002,” HR 4524, which
will provide an additional $1 billion in debt relief for poor countries.

Also, the World Bank will ask Congress this year for more of our taxpayer
money (IDA-13).  I would like you to condition your support on deeper debt
cancellation and an end to harmful World Bank and IMF policies that prevent
poor people from having access to clean water, health care, adequate
education, and good jobs.

Please respond with your position on these important moral concerns.

Sincerely,

Your Name
Your Church
Your Address

To unsubscribe from this list, just send an empty e-mail to [log in to unmask]

People can subscribe by sending an empty email message to

For full campaign news visit http://www.jubileeusa.org/