GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:48:18 EST
Matarr,
           A good place to begin would be to fully and thoroughly acknowledge
the entire array of crimes that have been committed from murder to economic
crimes. The way you do that is to scrupulously adhere to a judicial process
that would openly and fairly investigate each crime in a bid to assign
responsibility . In that same process you build in a capacity that would
enable the perpetrators to present an adequate defense even if that means the
state would offer attorneys for them. Once a credible framework that is
grounded in law and due process is established, the nation would fully
understand what happened, why and most importantly who is responsible. Any
dispensation that evolves out of such an encounter would reinforce people's
faith in government by assuring victims that murderers and criminals would be
punished to the full extent of the law. You would have also put in place a
strong deterrence for any group of people who might want to visit on the
Gambian people the kind of evil that Yahya Jammeh represents. The whole
concept of equal protection under the Law hinges on the understanding that
those who willfully break the law especially at tremendous cost to others are
made to answer for their crimes.Everything about us as a people be it our
religion or our simple sense decency compels us to stand for those who have
been wronged.I know it is easy to feel detached from the pain and hurt that
victims and their families feel if you  are not a close relative or friend
but knowing that you are your brothers' keeper I am sure everyone of us is
outraged at the utter tyranny. Economic crimes on the otherhand  affects us
all.
The politicians that are trying to remove him through democratic means
realise they must address these issues and my sense is they would want to do
it along the lines I suggest. It is my hope that things get resolved properly.

Karamba