GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:06:57 -0500
Due to some personal / religious affairs, I was unable to contribute to the
discourse on G_L the past three weeks. I am back and I will be reviewing my
mail during the course of the next few days. I wish to take this opportunity
to apologize to the people that sent me private mails. I will reply you in
private.

First and foremost, I wish to thank MRDG(UK) for the tremendous job they did
on the Briefing. Although I was not there in person, my thoughts and prayers
were with you. You made history and every decent Gambian should be proud of
you. Your contributions to the struggle are unparalleled. God will reward
you for your good deeds. I shall look into your report more thoroughly and
respond accordingly.

I shall also be writing on the despicable way our entire judicial system (AG
chambers and the Judiciary) treated Ebrima Barry, his family and the entire
Gambian population, by letting the murderers of Ebrima Barry go scot-free.
Under the watch of Pap Cheyassin Secka (who appointed that inept
prosecutor), government officials have tortured a defenseless Gambian,
paraded his parents before court and called them liars, government
prosecutors called witnesses to sabotage the people's case and at the end of
the day, we have a spineless judge unleash these animals to an unsuspecting
public. We now have a new set of murderers walking in our midst. It is
ironical that the very week these 'firemen' were shoved down our throats,
prominent Gambians are having their homes burnt to the ground because the
fire brigade does not have enough water to put fires down. In other words,
the world in Gambia is upside down. Fire officials get rewarded for
torturing and murdering innocent citizens, and when they fail to do their
job by putting down fires, not a word is mentioned about their abdication of
their duties. This only happens in Yaya's Gambia.

I shall also be talking about Joseph Joof's treacherous decision to revisit
the persecution of our children that partook in the April 10 and 11, 2000
demonstration. I never thought that I will encounter a Gambian that was more
despicable than Pap Cheyassin Secka. Unfortunately, in Joseph Joof, we have
just that. This man is worst that Pap Cheyassin Secka. Is this not the same
government that was telling us that as a quid pro quo for not prosecuting
the murderers of our children, they will not go against the students as
well? See why I said that Joof is worst than Secka? Even though I denounced
Secka's diabolical deal at the time, I recognize that according to reports,
Secka was at least willing to let the children go free without fear of
persecution. When Secka announced this deal, I pointed out to him that it
was unacceptable because whereas none of the murderers have been brought to
book yet, our children have already been taken to court and Mam Yassin Sey
ruled against the government. So it was a blatant lie on the part of the
government to pretend that they were doing the students a favor in return
for the despicable decision not to prosecute the perpetrators of the
massacre. Well, Joof has just reaffirmed my arguments. This government is
not even willing to reconcile with people. They are not pretending any more.
They were just using those words the other day to deflect the heat they were
under. Joof has just revealed the true colors of the government. We should
take them on their despicable decision to let the murderers of our children
go scot-free, while they persecute the children that were exercising their
legitimate right to demonstrate against the murder of Ebrima Barry and the
rape of Binta Manneh. Let me reassure Joof that we will be following all his
illegal and irrational moves and will be challenging him all the way. We
hereby notify him that he is at the point of no-return. The war has started
in earnest. The 'Jalangs' he worships cannot save him from this one. This
time when we are done with him, he will be a permanent inmate at 'Campama'.
Some of you that were asking us to give Joof benefit of the doubt, do not
know this man as much as I know him.

I also want to acknowledge Bola Carrol's election as the new president of
the Gambian Bar Association. I wish Carrol well albeit I was somewhat
disappointed by some of the reports I read about his election. For now, I
will give Carrol benefit of the doubt until I am able to digest all the
reports and talk to some friends of mine. Suffice for me to say at this
stage that Carrol and the Bar Association have more pressing things to think
about than occupying themselves with building an office at Kerr Serign. This
'Yaya obsession' with buildings should be below someone of Carrol's caliber.
Yes, they need an office. But do Carrol and the Association not think that
it is more pressing to address the lawlessness that goes on in that country?
People that head the Bar Association should stop this self promotion
nonsense and get to work. In what society would you have children murdered
in broad daylight and have no one stand trial for that heinous crime? In my
book, Carrol will be a more worthy president if he stands up and speak for
the defenseless and voiceless Gambian children than if he erects a 'Bola
Carrol Gambia Bar Association HQ Building'. This Association is the laughing
stock of decent folks. Carrol has an opportunity to build a better image for
the Association. We appeal to him not to blow that opportunity.

These are some of the issues that stood out to me together with the
devastating report from the US State Department. I will endeavor to amplify
my comments on these issues, in due course. Special thanks to Hamjatta for
forwarding the report to G_L.

Finally, I commend the good folks that had doggedly continued to unmask the
dictatorship back home. Your efforts will not go in vain.
KB