GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:57:35 -0800
Hi Saul,

Thanks for forwarding the article about Yusupha Mbye's nightmare.  The article goes
to show the priorities of the Jammeh government, namely: the treatment of their
cronies, and military personnel.  The problem with this strategy is that sooner or
later their ineptitude will run the country to the ground; broke, and with no more
spoils to share.  That's when the very soldiers who he's presently lavishing favors
on will turn against him.

One of the postings sent earlier today mentioned the distribution of sugar and such
by president Jammeh to help people during the month of Ramadan.  Again, this is just
one more example of how president Jammeh, having presided over ever increasing
poverty in The Gambia, feigns sympathy, and concern.  And many people, poor as they
are, would be all too glad to express their gratitude to the guy who robbed them
blind in broad daylight.

Still on the issue of corruption and accountability, I have been following (as much
as I can) a lot of the traffic that's been generated by Ebou Jallow's apology to
president Jammeh.  I only wished that you had saved your energies.  The fact of the
matter is that sooner or later, they both will answer for whatever they stole from
the Gambian people.  Perhaps the only two questions I would like Mr. Jallow to answer
immediately are:

    1.  Did president Jammeh bother acknowledge his apology?  If so, can he share it
with us, as he did his apology?
    2.  What exactly is he studying at Georgetown University?  I just find it
interesting that lately he's starting adding Georgetown University to his signature,
and I find it rather pompous.  He's probably the only guy on this list who does that.

That's about it.  Have a great week, and best wishes.

Katim