GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:49:24 +0000
Forum Members,
Here is a copy of the mail i sent to State House. Mrs. Joiner, kindly
forward all incoming mails to The President in memory of our fallen young
ones!

Mr. President,
Two years today, 12 young lives were extinguished when they reacted to
Justice denied in the case of their  brother and mate(Ebrima Barry), and an
alleged rape incident of another school girl! Elections have been campaigned
for and won and the temperature of the conflict appears to be cool. Yet, to
the parents and families who lost their loved ones, it is a life of grief,
pain, and the knowledge that Justice was never done in the first place to
ease their loss! No acknowledgement of ill-deed, no spoken words of
consolation! Mr. President that was one negative response to a crisis
situation!

Mr. President, the sanctity of life cannot be compromised for the building
of roads and schools! You build us hospitals then turn around and fill the
mortuary with the bodies of our young and delicate; our torch bearers. One
step forward, and ten backward. Where are we going???

Where is the spirit of the young high school student who will be waiting at
Yellitenda ferry crossing(Trans-Gambia)to receive a bundle of 'The Organ of
The Revolutionary Students' to be distributed clandestinely in schools
because he believed in a cause; the cause of surpressed students, but in a
bigger picture: the cause of our poor people? The guy who would walk with
his friends from Gambia High School along the beach side down town Albert
Market agitating for the right of students? Where is the young man who once
mobilized a couple of friends with the motive to storm the High Court in
Banjul and release Koro Sallah, Fakeba Juwara and co when they were charged
with treason??? Where Are You???

And until that day you are brave enough to face us, the people, and make a
true confession in giving those lethal orders, ask for forgiveness, and show
genuine remorse; until that day Justice in its true sense is carried out,
your conscience will be saddled with the corpses of these young lives
damaged by your gunfire and you are denuded of all self-respect!

Please remember!: "the longer you put something off, the worse it will
become, the harder it will be to do what you need to do, say what you need
to say."

Now you are a father; a parent, I trust you will do the right thing! And
very soon too!

Lamin Sanyang.

"God grant me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I can, and the
wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr