GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ablie Njie- lekbi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:44:06 -0500
Malik,

Your points are well taken and you make a good argument defending your
position , but I think you might also be equally guilty in your style of
writing.   Using words like superlatives, verbosity,quagmire   is in my
opinion "OBFUSCATING" meaning you are using big words.

Your arguments are  very constructive, but yet not easy to understand by
the average reader.

Just an observation!

Best Regards,

Lekbi

                    malik kah
                    <[log in to unmask]>           To:     [log in to unmask]
                    Sent by: The Gambia           cc:
                    and related-issues            Subject:     Re: The Conspiracy Behind Jammeh's "Unconditional Amnesty"
                    mailing list                  To              Jawara - Part 1
                    JOHNS.EDU>

                    01/15/02 03:40 PM
                    Please respond to The
                    Gambia and
                    related-issues mailing
                    list

Ngorr, I did not realised that you could rival Stanley Unwin, the comedian
that made talking nonsense an art.  As I read your piece with the
hyperboles, the velvety adjectives and superlatives, I concluded that
something most be missing with you up there!, instead of engaging on issues
of substance  you  hide behind high sounding superlatives  and adjectives
convinced that you are talking sense, how sad.

I presume that  you do not read the stuff you write, because if you do, you
would have realised that it is all waffle, impregnated with  high sounding
words and no substance.  After reading through your last posting I became
convinced that am dealing with a desperate self styled so called
intellectual nonentity, who assumes that to impress one must employ
linguistic  sophistication, with velvety adjectives and superlatives, I beg
to differ. I belong to a  school of thought that advocates for simplicity
in
communication and not verbosity.

We must cease mystifying the people and express ourselves in the simplest
term. That way we can reach out a variety of readers, but people like your
type are never happy unless you employ high sounding words interwoven in
phrases that are so intricate that the essence of the content is lost in
the
linguistic quagmire.

My intention is to refute your  misleading assertions, and not to engage
you in your intellectual gimmicks and semantics.

In your last piece of garbage you have demostrated a high level of
intellectual dishonesty. All your efforts in that piece were geared to
discrediting PDOIS and HALIFA, you desperately tried to show that Halifa is
inconsistent and you submitted Halifa's interview on Jawara to compliment
your assertions.

Halifa's intergrity as an individual needs no defending, he has
demonstrated
to the Gambian people his humility, sincerety and above all
consistency,hence for you to cover up behind Jawara's pardon and make
personal attacks on him would be fruitless, you cannot dent his genuiness.

The Gambia has in him an individual that is selfless and comitted.
Testimony
to this is the fact that  he is constantly invited by students,
professional
bodies, the Radio, TV and the general public, to give lectures and share
his
wisdom, he is never found wanting. Needless to tell you that he has written
more than any Gambian, on all social, economic, political and cultural
issues. His and his compatriots style of politics is a novelty and that is
what dunder heads like you have problem with. Halifa consistently defends
the intrest of the Gambian people. From day one of the coup, it was him and
his compatriots that stood in defiance of the coup makers. This was at a
time when Jammeh and his colleagues were much more crude and could have
easily killed them, but for them, defending the rights of the Gambian
people
was of a highier consideration than any parochial issue. It was Halifa and
PDOIS almost single handedly fought the no election agenda, they fought for
a consultative committee to which the APRC eventually yielded and eminent
Gambians such Baba Galleh with many others were enlisted to carry out the
consultation exercise.

Preceeding that process PDOIS distributed a lot of civic literature and
conducted radio programmes  to enlighten the people about what was
transpiring. Day and night these people committed themselves to ensuring
that ultimately the Gambian would decide.  Eventually the Gambian people
won
and elections has become the way of determinig who runs the affairs of the
country. It is clear that Halifa and compatriots,  more than anything else
has been consistent. They have always stood and defended the Gambian people
in the most desperate of times, yet people like you still castigate their
efforts. You and your breed cannot deter them or distract them  from this
voacation they are as focused as ever before, teaching the Gambian people
so
that they will become the comanders of their own destiny. To be making
refrences about statements that Halifa made regarding  Jawara's pardon is
completely mischievious deliberately designed to camouflage  and muddle up
the issues. Jawara's presence or absence is of no consequence to what PDOIS
does.

Jawara is not a relivant factor and if he is so imporatnt to you as a
political figure head then you better brace yourself, before you are caught
pants down,  for rumours are rife that he is engaged in behind the scenes
negotiations to work as a good will ambassador for the APRC!. If this
happens to be the case I expect to see you in your consistent inconsitency,
belabouring, in an effort to wriggle   yourself out, in a cacophony of
sounds.

I am absolutely convinced that you do not understand the issue of class
intrest, because if you did then we would not be holding this discussion.
The reason why PDOIS can never assume a role in Jammeh's government  or be
apologetic to Jammeh is embeded in in this contradiction and conversley
this
is the reason precisely why Jawara and Dibba could easily fit under
Jammeh's
fold. To understand this would have save you the naive conclusion you
arrived at regarding Jammeh and PDOIS. PDOIS will never play second fiddle
to Jammeh because they are diametrically opposite one stands to liberate,
educate and empower whiles the other stands to dominate, exploit and
oppress. With such opposing aspirations they can never converge, unlike the
petty burgoise aspirants. This is the reason why to continue to accuse
PDOIS
of being an apologist is either due to political naivety or deliberate
propaganda, designed primarily to misled the gullible.

Jammeh more than anybody knows where his biggest opposition lies, despite
all the fuss I positive to assert that Jammeh fears the process of
enlightenment more than anything else for if the people become aware then
they can be able to distinguish the the genuine from the fake until then,
they will be wittnessing politicians changing sides with lots of excuses.
The road to liberation is education eventhough it may be long.

Needless to remind you that at the onset of the military take over it was
only Sidia and Halifa who stood up in defence of the Gambian people and
this
position remains. Their refusal is based not on sentiments but on
principle.