GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Pa.Saikou Kujabi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:13:25 -0700
I have read the inept reactions from some Halifa
attack dogs in protest to my article published on
Gambia-L, Allgambian.net, and the Freedom Newspaper.

I would like to take up Mr. Muhammed. L. Touray first.
 Mr. Touray made the waters even muddier by claiming
that "I hate Halifa, that Halifa saw the out come of a
"NO VOTE and defended the Draft Constitution by
propagandizing for a "Yes Vote" because the junta
wanted to stay for as long as it was possible, that
the 1997 constitution was better than the 1970
Republican constitution, that until it was recently
ammended, the 1997 constitution had a term limit
provision for the office of the presidency, and
provisions that promote democracy, rule of law, and
freedom".

First of all Mr. Touray, UDP did not campaign for a NO
VOTE because it simply did not exist then.  You may
want to know for your political orientation that UDP
came to being only fourteen days before the 1996
presidential elections.  You may also want to know
that despite PDOIS been uninterruptedly existing for
fifteen years then, UDP pulled over a hundred and
forty thousand votes, while PDOIS ended up with less
than twenty thousand.

By all indications, Mr.Touray, you don't get it just
as Halifa always got it wrong. As I said in my last
article, only Halifa failed to understand that Yaya
Jammeh was determined to stay way beyond the
Transition period.  Not after on or about November
24Th 1994 when he announced the Junta's Four year
transition programs at the Independence Stadium in
Bakau.  Only Halifa and his cohorts could not read
Yaya Jammeh's lips.  Besides, Muhammed, Yaya Jammeh
and his  gang of criminals have always said in no
technical terms that they will never hand over power
to no one before they completed their development
programs.   Every sensible Gambian knew that it was
humanly impossible that the junta's programs could not
have been implemented within two years.  If Halifa
could not read Yaya Jammeh's lips,  who Else's can he
read?  You will also agree with me that by the time
the Draft constitution was being put together Yaya was
already condemning those who opposed the coup,
emphasizing strongly that he had to put his life on
the line to overthrow the PPP government, and
therefore whoever wanted to rule The Gambia must also
do the same.  I don't know what better way or how many
more times could Yaya have said these statements
before Halifa could understand.  Perhaps Halifa knew
that all the existing parties and politicians were
going to be baned, thus opening the doors of the State
House wide open for a PDOIS leadership.

I totally disagree with you on your assertion that the
1997 constitution is by far better than the 1970
Republican constitution because it has provisions for
rule of law, freedom, accountability, etc, etc.   Mr.
Touray, the 1970 Republican Constitution also had
provisions that guaranteed the rule of law, democracy,
freedom of movement, freedom of speech, freedom of
association,etc.  You may want to know that it is one
of those provisions that guaranteed PDOIS's coming to
being as a political party.  It is embarrassing to
realize that you are not even aware that the
two-five-year term limit for the office of the
president  was never in the 1997 constitution.  It was
the original draft constitution that was presented to
Provisional Ruling Council by the National
Consultative Committee(NCC) that had the two
Five-Year- term limit, forty year age qualification,
citizenship qualification, among other important
clauses. In addition to the deliberate ommission of
the two five year term limit for the presidency, the
junta also omitted the forty year age limit to run for
president and replaced it with a sixty five year age
limit.  I have no doubt that you  also don't know that
the junta has indemnified themselves in this 1997
constitution.   Muhammed, the omission of the two five
year term limit for the presidency alone was a genuine
cause for every true and sane Gambian to reject the
constitution in its totality.  I hope you will agree
with me that a term limit would have taken care of the
troubles we are facing today, because would have long
gone by now.  This most important provision  would
have saved many lives, including those who were so
mysteriously murdered recently for their alleged
involvement in the alleged coup plot.  We as Gambians
would have had the opportunity to hold the junta
accountable for their actions during the two year
transition period.   This would have been the first
execution of the checks and balances that you
ignorantly talked about in the 1997 constitution.
Your argument, which is a direct quotation from Halifa
that "he supported the constitution, but that it is
the same constitution that Ousainou Darboe rely on to
argue cases in court" is utter nonesense.  This
argument has certainly failed the test of common
sense.  As a Lawyer, it is not Ousainou's job to
ammend the constitution.  To the contrary, it is
Halifa's job to introduce a bill on the floor of the
House and seek an amendment of these abnoxious clauses
that so badly affects our lives.  Halifa is the one
who has that privilege  as a member of Parliament.
That is what Halifa gets paid for by you and I.  How
can Ousainou alone effect an amendment to the
constitution or protest by not going to court  because
there are clauses that are not acceptable to the
people.  It took a whole nation to ratify this bad
constitution through the help of your flag bearer-
Sallah's  aggressive campaign across the country,
along side with the July 22nd Movement, commissioners,
Seyfolu, and Alkalolus.

You and your colleagues in NEW PDOIS(NAAD) simlpy
cannot distinguish truth from fictions.  The MOU that
you keep referring to is just a paper that was signed
by the parties concerned. The most important thing
about that paper is to follow and complete all the
process that was clearly outlined in it, otherwise it
cannot be regarded as legitimate.  You just
contradicted yourself by complaining that Yaya Jammeh
constantly flouts the provisions of the very
constitution that he tailor made.  Won't you
understand from now on that words on a piece of paper
cannot mean anything until all the stipulations
therein are followed sincerely to the latter without
fear or favor.  That is what lacked in the execution
of the NAAD flag bearer selection process.  The
conspiracy back fired and the traitors shot themselves
in the foot, which eventually lead them all to fall
deep into the ditch.  Halifa has been falsely crying
wolf for the past twenty five years, and now he faces
a real threat from a wolf, but there is no one to come
to his aid.  Leadership is about telling the truth
even if it will cost you your life, job, friends or
and sympathizers.

Mr. Touray, your explanation about the registration of
NAAD as an Alliance as instead of a political party
was yet another indication of your lack of
information, even though you claim to be current on
the daily political issues in The Gambia.  The then
NAAD Executive was advised by Ousainou Darboe about
the consequences of registering NAAD as a party.  Your
jack of all trade, Halifa and his cohorts, out of
arrogance insisted against Ousainou's advise that they
should not register NAAD because there was a potential
danger.  Lawyer Darboe further advised them not to
have the serving Members of Parliament append their
signatures on the MOU, but the !!!chief clerk,
political scientist, and prominent Lawyer Sallah!!!
defied Ousainou's caution.  What did it cost us when
the Clerk of the House declared their seats vacant
while the delegation was in U.S?  Were we not forced
into a by-election which cost the opposition a hell
lot of money.  Did any of you NAAD drum beaters raise
any questions? Did you find out who led us into that
mess?   In a Town Hall meeting in New York with the
then NAAD delegation from The Gambia, I took up this
matter with Halifa.  I asked him how come they over
sighted the clause in the constitution that
effectively cost them their seats, considering the
fact that they have amongst their midst a prominent
Lawyer and formidable politician in the name of
Ousainou Darboe, and also taking into account their
individual experiences and knowledge about
constitutional matters.  This is what Halifa had to
say "When we wanted to register NAAD we came to
realize that there was loop hole about registering it
as a political party, but as an experiment, we just
took the chance hoping that the government does not
notice it.  In the process, he continued, the IEC
registered it as a political party instead of an
Alliance which in the government's interpretation
meant that we have switched our allegiance from our
original political parties".  He went further to
disclose that their Lawyer (Ousainou)argued in court
that NAAD did not intend to register  a party but
instead an Alliance.  But the presiding judge ruled in
favor of the government".  Now if I may ask you a
question Muhammed, can you tell me what your
conclusion is by Halifa's own explanation?  Ousainou
Darboe is one of the toppest Lawyers in The Gambia.
Besides being the most popular and one of the only two
credible and capable politicians in The Gambia,
Ousainou is also one of the topest Lawyers who is
very, very, very familiar with the Laws of The Gambia,
especially those that govern the electoral system.
Again if it were not Halifa's arrogant we would have
avoided that by-election which ultimately cost Hamat
Bah his Saloum Parliamentary seat.   You will also
recall that before the birth of NAAD, Hamat had been
comfortably elected twice to the National Assembly,
where he proved himself way beyond Halifa and Seedia.
A word is enough.  Go figure out who hate Halifa Mr.
Touray.  Not me.  All that I say here and elsewhere
are solid facts that are too hard for minds like yours
to absorb.

Let me now turn on to Pa. Morro Jallow, a Halifa
attack dog who does not know which way the wind blows
around him.  You also demonstrated clearly your word
deficiency for a healthy and objective debate.  First
and foremost,  I thank you for not loving me.  I am
not a gay, and am not interested in joining your gay
club.  Thank you.

Secondly, I would like to assure you and all the
readers of this article that I will never reduce
myself to your level by calling you names that are not
appropriate in this forum. I know better than that,
and I was not at all taken by surprise for the harsh
words and nasty names you called me.  I expected that,
and I knew there were the Muhammed Tourays, Caw. Demba
Baldehs, and of course the Pa. Morro Jallows out there
willing to defend the indefensible Sallah.  I will
never get mad at you Pa. "Talibeh" for two good
reasons: one, you are my "Machudo", and two, I know
already know your level of maturity both politically
and socially, which gave me a good guideline in
dealing with an individual like you including a proper
choice of language.

Just like all the NEW PDOIS(NAAD) supporters, you have
also surfaced in an ocean of ineptitude and deception
which is the hall mark of being a NEW PDOIS(NAAD) fan.
 You claimed in your article that APRC trashed UDP/NRP
Alliance in Kafuta in the last by-election.  You
should have done your home work properly Mr. Jallow.
UDP/NRP had the largest votes casted in Kafuta than
APRC and NEW PDOIS(NAAD)combined.  You also alleged
that I heard from other sources that Halifa Sallah
campaigned single handed for the adoption of the Draft
constitution.  Pa. Morro, I did not hear this from
anyone, I was in The Gambia when all these happened,
and every informed Gambian can testify to that, even
Halifa did not deny these facts.  Sorry, I connot help
you out of your word deficiency which truly defines
the type of home boy you are.

You also charged in desperation that we UDP are
murderes, that we murdered one Alieu Njie of
Basse(MHSRP), and that you had a word for Haruna
Darboe.  Well, Mr. Jallow, the courts in The Gambia
never convicted anyone for the unfortunate death of
Alieu.  We in UDP/NRP love every Gambian regardless of
their sex, tribe, religion, or political affiliation,
but only those whose five common senses fit together
well can understand that.   We are not interested in
befriending arrogant and selfish traitors.

You described Hamat Bah as an old hotel bedroom
Manager who suddenly became an MP.  I can comfortably
say that you have no respect for those hard working
men and women in our Hotels who work out their swet to
put food on the table, cloth and send their kids to
school.  Hotel job is as decent and skillful as any
other job.  Therefore, provoking Hamat with that kind
of crap does not just make any sense at all.   I
wonder what your job is Morro.  One thing abundantly
clear though, is that Hamat Bah is a rising star in
The Gambian political arena, and he has proven himself
to be the most effective member of Parliament time and
time again. Halifa, and Seedia are rarely heard of in
the Parliament.  As a matter of fact,  your Halifa can
only be remembered for his leadership ambition in the
Parliament.  A Minority Leader, an AU Parliamentarian,
Head of the Au Parliamentary Committee responsible for
the Dafur crises, and now a NEW PDOIS(NAAD)
presidential candidate, so that he can go back to
Southern Africa or elsewhere and invite the the Radio
and Television search cameras once again.   I cannot
imagine how  Halifa can be in charge of puting out the
Dafur fire while ignoring the fire that he set off in
his own country with his own hands.  I wish I had
enough time to orientate you better on political
issues in The Gambia.  Do not fool yourself by
pretending that you know me.  If you do, you would
have known that I am not bringing up these facts just
because I am a name caller or disrespect for Halifa.
I was on the ground when all thses events took place,
and for me there are no short cuts in telling the
truth.  I tell it exactly as it is, regardless of what
anybody things about me.

With regards to your comments about Haruna Darboe,
"Fangna Morri", I can assure you that Haruna is not
your match just as Ousainou Darboe and Hamat are not
Halifa's match.  Haruna's intelligence and decency are
unquestionable.  Certainly not by your narrow mind,
and you better belief that.  Haruna will never go down
with you on this path..

Folks, may I ask your indugience to pull the plug on
Demba Baldeh, another Halifa thin head attack dog.
Demba, you described me as one of the ill informed and
desperate Pseudo old hand UDP/NRP  supporters who
lacks information about the current political events
in The Gambia.

 You seem to be close to Halifa and the events that
surround him, more than anyone else.  I can imagine
why you almost had a heart attack when you read my
article. Life would still go on had you fallen dead.
You ignorantly muddied the waters as you desperately
tried to defend the indefensible Sallah.  Demba, if
you are as informed as you claimed to be, and as newly
educated a man who understands every English word that
Halifa uttered, how come you did not know that Halifa
and Seedia's arrests happened in only a couple of days
after the July 22ND coup-DE-tat in 1994 and not in
1995 as you claimed.  You also claimed that I am ill
informed about the political events in the Gambia.
Well, "Maudo Demba" you should have named me at least
one or more events that are currently going on in The
Gambia that you think I am not aware of.  You clearly
don't know why Yaya Jammeh sent Hamat, Oj, Halifa and
Waa to jail.  It was not at all about the open letter
Halifa wrote on behalf of NAAD.  It was an exercise of
power that Yaya has always been proud of.  Mr. Newly
schooled, didn't Yaya promise on National TV that he
WILL GIVE THE OPPOSITION A KORETEH "KORITEH GIFT"?
Didn't he say that before their arrests?  Did you not
belief him? You must be out of your mind if you would
not have  believed in Yaya's craziness.  Yaya was
determined to send our brothers to jail anyway,
regardless of how good or bad the evidence were. I
wonder what new school you attended Demba?  Meanwhile,
you have made it abundantly clear that your only
influence about Halifa is the GOOD ENGLISH that he
speaks.  No wonder why you just cannot connect the
dots right.  You don't measure one's seriousness by
the good English he or she speaks, rather, the sense
behind the good English.  You must have been busy take
note of every English word that Halifa uttered at the
Seattle meeting.  I can also imagine how you could be
easily carried away by any GOOD ENGLISH speaker, if
you should sit on a decision making table.

Mr. new school, I am particularly disappointed that
with all your faithfulness and ambition for Halifa
presidency, you are not even aware that on the May 20,
2006 Halifa made a usual irresponsible press release
regarding the Kombo East by-election in which he
cowardly pointed an accusing finger at me for NEW
PDOIS(NAAD)'s humiliating performance in that
election.  What kind of English graduate are you
"Machudo Jola"?.   Do you want to tell me that you can
only understand Halifa's spoken English but cannot
read his writings.   You questioned if I cannot
understand the English when I read Halifa's writings.
It is evident to every one now that despite the fact
that you are so close to Halifa,  you still cannot
read his writings.!!What a shame on you "Caw Demba".

You alleged that "UDP has made blunders that will lead
it to committing political suicide, and that we have
been all over the map on the issue of unity, that
first it was lack of trust, second a mistake was made
by agreeing to be equal when we are not equal".
Demba, if ever UDP and NRP leaders have made any good
decisions, the withdrawing from NAAD was the best they
could have ever made under the circumstance, and if
that is what you consider to be a political suicide,
then you dont know what politics is.  NAAD was never
meant for Ousainou and Hamat,and no matter who says
what at what given time and place,  Hamat and Ousainou
have the same view regarding now NEW PDOIS(NAAD)Party.
I know for fact that I personally can mentor you in
politics for the rest of your life  and you will not
get to the tip of my finger.  You should not worry
about UDP/NRP committing political suicide. In fact,
you should be happy about that because that will pave
the way for your god-father to take the reigns of the
country.  Demba, you really sounded ridiculous when
you crowned Halifa as the most principled and
consistent politician The Gambia has ever witnessed.
You can't be serious, and I hope you're not.   Demba,
it is about time you tell your arrogant and selfish
Halifa in the face that now is the best time for him
to do away with his ill conceived principles just for
the sake of The Gambia, and until you NEW PDOIS(NAAD)
can do that, you better sit down and short your lousy
mouths.  There you are not able to contain Halifa as
he play himself into the hands of Yaya Jammeh. If
Halifa's arrogance and selfishness is what you call
principled and consistent, then you need to go back to
school Mr. New School and have someone work hard on
your mind, because you are far from being ready for a
mature dialogue.  When Halifa's selection was
announced, you wrote an article on Gambia-L, titled
"Halifa Sallah once in a life time opportunity" asking
where can the African continent find some one like
him.  While you are entitle to your opinion, your
perception about the NEW PDOIS(NAAD) popularity in The
Gambia clearly defines your total ignorance about how
are being fooled by your traitors on the ground,
telling you pep talks.  "Machudo", every political
party, with the exemption of "NDAMBUSAN" has
originated from a representative of all sectors of
Gambian political spectrum.  UDP is the best party
emulate in that regard.  When are you going to wake up
from your drunkenness and see the truth for yourself?.
 If UDP/NRP Alliance is a camp of losers, what is NAAD
then, "Macchudo" Demba?

 I want to make it clear to you that UDP/NRP Alliance
is the the only credible and formidable opposition in
The Gambia.  You better know that from today. I don't
care what you think about Ousainou and Hamat, but they
are the only true sons of The Gambia who have earned
the trust of the Gambian people based on their
individual merits.  These two brave sons of our dear
mother land have been the only respectable politicians
whose voices are clearly heard by the poor, and the
defenseless.  Your PDOIS candidate and co. did not
know that they were playing with fire when they
conspired against Ousainou and Hamat.  I am not the
spokesman for the NRP/UDP Alliance, but one thing I
can assure your for now and the future is that, DON'T
YOU EVER THINK THAT WE WILL BETRAY OUR INDIVIDUAL AND
COLLECTIVE PARTY MILITANS BY BATTERING THEM FOR ANY
REASON.  Ousainou and Hamat will never betray us and
we have confidence in their their judgments, period.

When did Halifa become Waa Juwara's friend?  Waa had
repeatedly been using UDP platform to attack Halifa
and PDOIS when he was the Propagander Secretary. We
had to summoned a Central Committee meeting where we
categorically put it clearly to Waa that Halifa and
PDOIS were never our problem as a party, instead, Yaya
Jammeh's tyranny.  That is why most of us who know Waa
are not worried about whatever charges he makes
against Ousainou or Hamat.  It is just a matter of
time.  He picked up his anger with Ousainou when he
lost his second position on the UDP platform in the
last presidential election.  The then propaganda
Secretary used to come right before Ousainou Darboe.
But with OJ coming in as the coordinator of the PPP
and apparently the last speaker before Ousainou, Waa
felt he was pushed a step back, making his personal
political ambitions for UDP leadership very slim.

On the other hand, I almost feel like going into
hiding when Halifa says he believes in equality and
empowering the people to decide their own destiny.
What Halifa failed to understand is that his concept
of equality does not fit in modern politics.  You
cannot set you eyes on the votes of the major parties
with a view to use their platforms and electoral
strength to advance your leadership ambition.

Empowering the people, cannot just be a lip service.
Power belongs to the people.  It is irrevolvable.  If
Halifa believes in empowering the people to decide
their own destination, why would'nt he respect the
people's desire for change.  Has POWER been given a
new definition to suit Halifa's thirst for "BURR"?.
Power simply means the people(majority), and has
always belong to the people(majority).  Leaders come
and go, but the people are always there.  No short
cuts.

In all honesty, Halifa's calling for a term limit and
a debate on any future constitution twelve unfortunate
years down the road is certainly an appropriate
thought raised at a wrong time years after he spear
headed the adoption of the 1997 constitution which was
never debated on.  Ousainou Darboe knows very Well
that any amendment to an entrenched clause must be
brought to the people for ratification.   Ousainou has
a better leason to teach any politician about
empowering the people to decide their own destiny.  It
is fundamental democratic principles that the people
of UDP and NRP demanded their parties and party
Leaders back for a better an comprehensive Alliance
based on trust and genuine commitment for a change.
I was one of those Gambians who constantly  demanded
from the AFPRC to allow the constituents to have an
honest and complete review of the diluted draft
constitution through debate before it was adopted, but
unfortunately, Halifa stood in our way in defense of
the draft that gave Yaya a clear signal that should he
decide to run for president, victory was guaranteed
considering the overwhelming endorsement of that
obnoxious draft. Thanks to Halifa Sallah, the now
presidential contender to remove Yaya twelve years
later.  In this crucial moment of our political
history, only someone with  clean hands can do the job
and that is no other person than Lawyer. Ousainou.
NUmukunda. Darboe.

May I also make it abundantly clear to all and sundry
that I am not a tribalist and I have never been
considered one in my entire life.  I understand that
those who call me a tribalist do so out of total
frustration and anger.  I am not related to neither
Osainou Darboe nor Yaya Jammeh.  I am entitled to my
conscience just like anyone else who contribute to the
ongoing political debate in our country.  I have been
through a lot as an opposition under both PPP
administration and in this present Jammeh
administration.  I am on record for the stance I took
against the Jammeh tyranny.  Will it be fair then to
call those who are fullas like Demba Baldeh for being
tribalism because of their allegiance to PDOIS(NAAD)
if in fact Halifa considers himself a Fulla.

  So Demba, in summation, I urge you to look before
you leap. I agree with you that NAAD is looking beyond
the presidential elections.  Well why not?  That is
exactly what PDOIS wants in order to survive.

We in UDP and NRP are not interested in baby sitting
Halifa, Waa or OJ.  Equally, we are not interested in
baby sitting Ousainou or Hamat either.  But as far as
Gambian politics is concerned, only Ousainou can do
the job for now, and that why the people(majority) are
rallying behind him.

 PEACE.

Pa. Saikou Kujabi.