GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:17:55 EDT

Afuan Ya Wuld Ammi,

Ma Yero montesgue,

I have read the Ulamaa's reasonings and opinions and I must say our  opinions
do converge. I will explain here how I mean. But first I want to  impress
upon you that right off the bat, your friend has multiplied his  quandry:

1. He seeks to enlist (voluntarily join) the US military.
2. He makes this decision for economic (selfish) reasons.

Yero, Islam, shariah, and Islamic fiqh addresses only muslims. If I were a
christian living in Saudi Arabia, or a citizen thereof, I may not be guided by
Fiqh or Shariah. Unlike the Saudi constitution which does not guarantee
inalienable rights of non-muslims, the US constitution attempts to accomodate
muslims of all walks of life. The latter is better in the eyes of Allah and God
and even the Quran supports such effort to accomodate people of other
religions  by the mere statement "Lakum Deenikum Walya Deen".

Yero, if you read the Ulamaa's opinions carefully, you will find that they
do not address your friend's quandry, i.e. voluntary participation in the US
military. And it was with that background I asked you to find out why your
friend wishes to enlist in the US military. And I shared that if his intent was
to serve his fellow US muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Mormons, Jews, Hindus,
etc., there are a variety of ways to complete that desire other than through
enlistment in the military. So my opinion runs a parallel course to those of
the  Ulamaa.

Next point is that the very nature of fiqh and its uniqueness of audience
(muslims), precludes the Ulamaa from considering the interests of non-muslims in
 a plural society such as America. This is exactly why I suggested your
friend  not rely on Fiqh, Islam, or the Quran to make his decision. At least not
until  all the christians, Jews, Hindus, mormons, bahai of America decide to
convert to  islam.

You must bear in mind that as a muslim who serves in the American military,
in whatever integral capacity, you are defending the freedom and interests of
American muslims also. The reason I brought this point up is because Islamic
fiqh advises Not to fight with or kill fellow muslims. Let us therefore
assume,  though not likely, that America goes to war with Saudi Arabia. Those Saudi
 muslims will be poised to fight with and kill American muslims. This then
brings  us to the higher quandry of which muslim is better than the other; the
American  muslim or the Saudi muslim. Fiqh does not address that simply because
the  overarching goal of Dawah is to multiply adherents and therefore
considers all  adherents as equals, new or old. Although you will find out to your
consternation that most Saudi muslims think of themselves better than American
muslims. That is subject of another discussion. In a case such as this,
Allah,  subhaanahu wa Ta'Aala advises me that both the Saudi muslims and the
American  muslims should exercise restraint and consider the conscientious objector
statute with their different governments. You tell me if the Saudi government
 will accept that from her citizens in the military. We already know America
at  least allows for that and has made good on that on some occasions. So who
are  the better muslims, the Saudi government or the American government?? I
can't  hear you.

Now then. The next point I want to share with you centers around harmonious
co-existence with your neighbours. This is very important to Allah and
Muhammad.  You can consult the hadith and Quran for more detail. Remember it is not
terribly significant to Allah whether your neighbors are muslim, christian,
jew,  hindu, mormon, or kafirs. It is an unqualified honour between neighbors.
Imagine  being a muslim in America living likely among christians, jews,
hindus,  buddhists, mormons, etc. and sharing a common constitution. That
constitution is  now up for defense. The christians, jews, hindus, mormons, buddhists,
etc.  enlist in the American military to safeguard the common constitution. How
do you  think it would make those neighbors of yours feel when they learn
that you  assert conscientious objector clause on account of your religion
Islam???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????
Do you think you deserve to be their
neighbor????????????????????????????????????????????????????
How does your recusal from service for commoner value affect your ability  or
fortunes in Dawah which your fiqh safeguards? If they were to later embark on
 a campaign to expel you from their neighborhood after such defense of your
common constitution, would they not be justified?

During the many badrs fought by Muhammad, Sallim Alaihi, there were muslims
or prospective muslims who fought on the other side of the divide. How did
fiqh and Dawah address those muslims and prospective muslims respectively?

In effect therefore, I part ways with the Ulamaa in the area of  warranty of
war. It is extant to current considerations.

Also, it is not significant who is President of the United States when one
enlists in the Military or indeed when one considers philanthropy or
volunteering for the United States. The United states connotes the muslims,
christians, jews, hindus, buddhists, mormons, jalangbatulaal, etc. Therefore, it  will
be the height of treason and dishonesty to oneself, to serve or NOT, in the  US
military, on considerations of who is President of the US. That is addressed
by the ballot box. Not by the military. That is why the US is the greatest
nation on earth at this time and precisely because of the diversities in
religion and industry

I am getting long here. I am confident you can expand on the  thoughts I
share. Some are only limited treatment of more profound fiqh and  Islam. Thank you
for your audience and I still encourage your friend to  look for alternate
ways of accomplishing his economic goals. I would further  advise the US
military not to accept him in the military, in any capacity. He is  better placed in
social work or service to the more indigent of his fellow  citizens. That will
please Allah more.

Masoud. MQJGDT. Darbo. Al mutawakkil.

In a message dated 7/24/2008 10:41:47 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,