GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 04:44:59 +0200
Sister Jabou,

Thanks for that reinvigorating gush of much needed uncommon wisdom. Let me just say in passing that I am one of those who gratefully recall the limitless generosity of your parents.

Your this piece in response to Gassa reminds me of Breyten Breytenbach's Letter To America forwarded here about a month back by our own Dr. Ebrima Sall active now at the Scandinavian Institute of African studies. (I should cease this moment to wave a "Welcome-Back-Salute" to Sall). We, the so called educated ones, have enormous difficulties inventing strategies decoupled from class-room knowledge. Even where our problems are homegrown and local the solutions that are breathed down our throats and those which appear to be the only morsel of sense that it would be foolish to spit out are those Western gurus and institutions tell us are magic wands. Not even the meltdown in Argentina and the impending collapse of Brazil's economy are menacing enough to inject a sense of dejá-vu - that we cannot build our future on borrowed money!

Lest we forget Breytenbach's last paragraph, I am recasting it below:

"...And Africa? As a part-time South African (the other parts are French and Spanish and Senegalese and New Yorker), I've always wondered whether Thabo Mbeki would be America's thin globalizing wedge (at the time of Clinton and Gore it certainly seemed so) or whether he was ultimately going to be the leader who can strategically lead Africa against America. But the question is hypothetical. Thabo Mbeki is no alternative to the world economic system squeezing the poor for the sustainable enrichment of the rich; as in countries like Indonesia and your own (see the role of the oil companies), he too has opted for crony capitalism. Africa's leading establishments are rotten to the core. Mbeki is no different. His elocution is more suave and his prancing more Western, that's all.

What do we do, then? As we move into the chronicle of a war foretold (against Iraq), it is going to be difficult to stay cool. Certainly, we must continue fighting globalization as it exists now, reject the article of faith that postulates a limitless and lawless progress and expansion of greed, subvert the acceptance of might is right, spike the murderous folly of One God. And do so cautiously and patiently, counting our steps. It is going to be a long dance".

Momodou S Sidibeh