GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Solomon Njai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:26:56 EDT
Brother, I understand your frustration and shortcoming[s] regarding the
various splinter groupings of Gambian organizations both at home and abroad.
This is not a new phenomena and will never get resolved as long as we keep
dwelling on personalities instead of 'the group,' knowing well, that amongst
us, are rabble-rouser, provocateurs and the apathetic masses within the
group/organization. Is it not true that our African brothers and sister in
the USA encounters the same organizational dysfunction, if not worst,
especially churches? Each of us must start a new chapter of trusting, caring,
maturity, respect and sincere dialogue within our immediate family and
friends, and then to the outside groups/organization in order for us to be
whole and complete. In the absence of this, we'll be discussing this issue
again in 2011.
I believe recent events in Gambia and Yahya Jammeh in general, is a blessing
in disguise for us to change the equation afflicting Gambians, whereby, we
resign and sink our citizenry to false hopes, apathy, anonymity and
depersonalization.
My suggestions are:
1] As disenfranchised Gambians, we must organize/coalesce the different
groupings under one umbrella with branches all over the world
2] We must start working inside the 'system' [i.e.] selecting, empowering and
electing our own progressive leaders that would serve our collective interest
3] We must engage in a critical and diagnostic analysis of our current
conditions by analyzing what went wrong? and where do we go from here?
4] We should extend invitations to the various opposition party leaders and
APRC regime, to attend the upcoming ALD in DC, whereby we'll demand voting
rights for Gambian's living abroad; instead of watching from the sidelines,
we'll become participants in the process.This is the only reason why Jawara
and hence Yahya Jammeh do not give a hoot about what we write or say from
abroad. We must start using our $, #, DM, KRONA and email power to vote our
interest
I will elaborate more on this.... any suggestions, add your dime to this
worthwhile endeavor
peace