GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:56:00 EST
Essa,

Thanks but I think you miss my point. If there is any organization or U.S
Congressional office soliciting or gathering information of this nature to pass
on to a law making body here, this will not be a covert operation at all
because it is public information. Even if a third party was receiving the
information to pass on to the Cogressman's office, they would also not be something
hidden and should be able to provide their information freely to the general
public so that they will feel comfortable and know that they are a legitimate
operation.
I would never want to collect information from people and then send it on to
any entity that is not transparent  and the process is not done in an open
manner, especially if they say they are connected to a congressional office that
is supposed to be passing information to a law making body in the U.S. Such an
operation I would  assume would have the full backing of the U.S gov't or at
least be something allowable under its' guidelines that a Congressman's office
would operate under  and those sending them information would have no need to
hide their identity.
This place is no Banana Republic and the U.S Constitution still works when it
comes to things like these where public officials such as Congressmen are
public servants and very much answearable to the people.
On your part too, I think it will be in your best interest to provide the
information i mentioned regarding this set up simply for the sake of legitimacy.
Any information gathering apparatus for the offices of Congressmen/women is
by and large sent to their offices through the normal channels and where this
information is collected by someone else, say a non-profit organization working
in the field of human rights, e.g Amnesty International, they clearly
identify themselves and give their full contact details. An example is this RHADDO
whose website you gave. They  are not based in the U.S, but did not hesitate to
identify themselves as people who report to the U.N organization on economic
and human rights, and they gave their full coordinates. A process liek this has
to be transparent so that people know they are not sending information to a
black hole or to the wrong people.
I hope this clarifies where I am coming from.
As far as sharing information with the Gambian public, I commend this and
believe that the best venues for anyone who has  genuine information that is
valuable to the struggle to rid ourselves of tyranny and wants to sincerely share
it with the people, is through the two lists that are accessed by all,
including some representatives of foreign governments I believe.
Thanks.

Jabou Joh