GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:12:37 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  012/2007, 31st January – 2nd February, 2007

Editorial
THE ABC OF  GOVERNANCE IN
A DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY
“No Taxation Without Representation”  was the outcry of the forces for
national liberation and independence.  Representation was linked to taxation to
ensure that there is transparency and  accountability in handling public
resources.
When it became evident that  there can be divergent views on how a society is
governed political parties  emerged to seek the mandate of the people.
Those who are given a mandate to  manage the affairs of society take charge
and those who are not given the  mandate serve as watchdogs of how they govern.
In this way the society is kept  informed on how their affairs are managed
and is further guaranteed an  alternative source of representation.
The role of the opposition in a  democratic society is to serve as an
effective tool to monitor how a country is  governed and serve as an alternative if
those who govern fail to meet the  expectation of the people.
In a functioning democratic society one expects to  find a balance in power
between the opposition and the ruling party in the main  oversight institution
called parliament, National Assembly or Congress.
In  emerging democracies where opposition parties are weak governments prove
their  commitment to transparent and accountable governance by respecting the
freedom  of expression of the citizenry especially the right to a free media.
In South  Africa, for example, no representative dare to act with impunity
because of fear  of exposure by the media.
Needless to say, scrutiny of representatives can  also be effected by civil
society groups such as trade unions and other  associations.
The problem with the Gambia is that the institutions of  representation are
still too weak to effect the necessary checks or scrutiny on  governance.
The media depend largely on reporting what is known instead of  what it
derived from investigation. Civil society organisations are still  spectators of
the democratic process rather than participants in building  democratic institut
ions.
The Gambia is a society wanting to discover the  true meaning of democracy
and good governance. Now that we have elected a  president and members of the
National Assembly, Foroyaa will be keenly following  their words and actions to
see whether the next five years will be marked by  restoration of the autonomy
of the councils and the non interference with the  mandate of their elected
representatives; whether the security to tenure of  public servants will be
guaranteed; whether the National Assembly will check all  violations of the
constitution and abuse of power; whether bills shall be  scrutinized and passed
without fear or favour affection or ill will; whether a  freedom of information
act will be passed to enable the media access to what is  now considered
confidential information; whether civil society will become  vibrant to enable women
to come out fully to contest elections than hope to get  appointments.
Will Gambian democracy grow or will it further degenerate into  the mere
contest for office every five years only to end up with an uncritical  mass that
thrives on praise singing and begging for a life time? Will the  sovereign
Gambian emerge to be the architect of a new destiny or refuse to  emerge and
promote hopelessness, poverty and mediocrity in managing our  affairs?

INTERVIEW WITH HALIFA SALLAH
“Where there are wrongs to  be corrected to fold one’s arms
is to be an accomplice”
FOROYAA: Many  people want to know whether you are now to call it a day since
you have failed  to retain the seat?
Halifa: This is not a time for any sovereign Gambian who  treasures his/her
sovereignty to call it a day. Where there is wrong to be made  right those who
fold their arms to become mere spectators are accomplices of a  historical
aberration. I will never be found guilty of abandoning the cause to  build a
society that can guarantee unrestrained liberty and sustainable  prosperity to the
people. I will serve the African people and humanity until I  am caught by
the everlasting sleeps.
FOROYAA: You are quoted to say that the  2007 National Assembly elections
will be your last attempt to contest  seats.
Halifa: What I have said is my intention. I have made it clear that I  am now
53 years. That my desire is to serve one more term as National Assembly
member to accomplish what I had set out to do at the level of the Pan African
Parliament.
I have also said elsewhere that I am committed to serving one  term as a
President if that is the will of the NADD executive. On the other hand  I had said
that if I fail to retain my seat I will prefer to take the struggle  for the
liberty and prosperity into the world of knowledge production.
FOROYAA: Does this not mean that you will leave politics for  academia?
Halifa: For those of us who understand the role of ideas  representation in
history we see a link between knowledge and practice in  shaping human
civilization. The pursuit of knowledge is only relevant if it is  linked to its
translation into practice to build human civilization. I have not  said that I will
pursue knowledge exclusively and abandon the struggle for  enhanced liberty
and prosperity; on the contrary I wish to prepare myself more  to contribute to
the realization of the cause to make the African people free  and prosperous.
FOROYAA: Are you going to retain your post as flag  bearer.
Halifa: I will address a resignation letter to the NADD Executive as  a
matter of principle. It is for them to decide what is in the best interest of  NADD
and the country. I am at their service and that of the country. I know what
I want to do as a person but I am willing to subject myself to their service
and  that of the country.
FOROYAA: Does this mean that if they want you to  continue you will abandon
academia?
Halifa: The two are not mutually  exclusive. In these five years I have every
opportunity to search for knowledge  and produce books for the benefit of the
people. Regardless of what the NADD  Executive decides I have all the time in
the world to achieve the aim of making  my contribution to academia for
posterity.
FOROYAA: It appears that you are  committed to politics for a life time.
Halifa: How the country is managed is  the concern of all people in the
Gambia. We are either representatives or are  represented. All of us should either
strive to be honest and mature  representatives or their electors.
FOROYAA: It is reported that the president  had said that his big mouthed
opponents had been removed from the National  Assembly. That such people used to
destroy his relations with the big powers in  the world. What do you say to
this?
Halifa: Who the cap fits let him wear it.  The Halifa Sallah I know is
respected at home and in Africa and the world.
I  will not debate on personal opinions. The President’s problem is not
Halifa  Sallah but how to guarantee liberty and prosperity to each Gambian. If I
were in  his position I will not be offended by critics but would infact respond
to every  criticism with policy initiatives to enhance liberty and
prosperity. This is the  type of democratic leadership Gambia, Africa and the world
need.

BAKAU UDP CANDIDATE’S TRIAL ADJOURNED
By Modou  Jonga
The trial involving the state and the defeated UDP candidate for the  Bakau
Constituency in the just concluded National Assembly Election, Mr. Nfamara  S.
Bojang, was on Monday 29th January, 2007 adjourned to 5th February.
The  case was adjourned due to the absence of the Presiding Magistrate E. F M’
bai.  Mr. Bojang was arrested a day after he was nominated to contest the
Bakau Seat  and was subsequently arraigned in court on 10th January at the
Brikama  Magistrate Court. The accused (Mr. Bojang) who was present in court, on
Monday,  has pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges prefered against him. On
count  one, Mr. Bojang is charged with conspiracy to commit a felony in the
month of  January 2005 at Busumbala Village and on count two he is charged with
being in  possession of forged Gambian currency notes.

INTERNATIONAL  FEDERATION OF JOURNALISTS
Media Release

IFJ Demands Release of  Journalist Held Secretly For
7 Months In The Gambia
The International  Federation of Journalists (IFJ) has called for the
immediate and unconditional  release of journalist, Chief Ebrima Manneh,   who has
been missing  since July 2006 and is reportedly being held in a provincial
police station in  The Gambia.
Manneh, a reporter with the pro-government Daily Observer  newspaper, has
been missing since 7 July and is said to be held by the National  Intelligence
Agency (NIA) The agency has repeatedly denied that it is holding  the journalist
but reports from local media and other sources confirmed that  Manneh was
held incommunicado in different locations by the NIA.
“We demand  the immediate and unconditional release of Chief Ebrima Manneh,”
said Gabriel  Baglo, Director of IFJ Africa Office. “It’s horrendous that in
a state where  there is a judicial system a journalist can be held
incommunicado    for seven months without any charge.”
According to local sources and  newspapers, the journalist was moved from the
NIA headquarter to the Mile Two  Central Prisons in the capital city,
Banjul, to police stations in Kartong  (South of Banjul), Sibanor (West), Kuntaur
(Centre) and then to Fatoto  (East).
Some sources have indicated that Manneh’s detention is related to a  feature
authored by a foreign correspondent on the African Union (AU) summit  held in
Banjul. The news  agency, Afrol, quoted an anonymous source   at the Daily
Observer saying that “Chief’s  efforts to reproduce the said  feature was
aborted, as Observer authorities cancelled  the printed pages  and went ahead to
inform NIA that he is a saboteur to the ruling party.” Manneh  was arrested the
following day according to the same source.
The IFJ renewed  its call from 15 July 2006 for independent investigations
into the killing of  the journalist Deyda Hydara, who was murdered in The Gambia
two years  ago.
Lamin Fatty, a journalist with the now-shut-down newspaper, The  Independent,
has been on trial at a Magistrate Court since July 2006. Fatty was  arrested
on 10 April 2006 and was secretly detained for more than two months.  Fatty is
accused of “publishing false information.”
“We call for the end of  the ridiculous trial of Lamin Fatty. There is
nothing to charge him with; this  harassment should stop and the journalist should
be acquitted and compensated  for all this emotional torture,” IFJ’s Baglo
said.
For further information  contact the IFJ: +2218420143
The IFJ represents over 500,000 journalists in  more than 110 countries.

SUWAIBOU JATTA DETAINED
Suwaibou Jatta  (a separatist) of the Movement Democratic Forces du Casamance
(MFDC) is detained  at the Maximum Security Wing of the Mile Two Central
Prisons, a source informed  this paper.
The Casamance   secessionist was arrested and detained  by state security
agents. Reasons precipitating his arrest and detention are yet  to be made public.
In a separate development, the death of Father Abbe  Diamacoune Senghore
(the initiator of the Casamance rebellion) has left a  leadership crisis in
the separatist movement. Some of the movement’s big wigs  want Jean Francoise
Marie Biaggui to lead the MFDC, while some of the movement’s  stalwarts are
opposed to any move that will see Biaggui rising to the apex of  the group.
Casamance insurgents have waged a protracted guerilla warfare that  has left
hundreds of people dead and maimed.

Open Letter to Halifa  Sallah
Halifa Sallah- A HERO FOR EVER
Mr. Sallah, Please allow me as a  citizen of The Gambia and a person who
highly respects you to congratulate you  for having stayed a long and painstaking
course only to entrench democracy in  our country. There is one old saying
from a famous singer which is “The harder  the battle, the sweeter the victory”.
This saying indeed fits your person and  character. Despite all the odds in
this wild field of politics I for one and  many others within the silent
majority will never seize supporting your efforts.  If India and The Gambia were to
exchange values of family geography I would  nominate you to match those of
the Ghandis. In my mind you are the Mahatma  Ghandi of our time. 2006 marked the
20th year from 1986 when you openly started  your educative programs in The
Gambia. Prior to starting an active life in  politics you used to run a radio
program with Alhaji Assan Njie called”Maggi  Elek” in wollof meaning the
leaders or elders of tomorrow. Today you are reaping  some of those sweet fruits in
a very sophisticated method of approach. You have  not failed my good
brother! Philosophically specifics are not meant to determine  failure because
specifics can also be attributed to strange cases like accidents  of history. There
is also an old learned Indian who said this:”....where  politics is considered
to be the dirt of society, knowledge is the soap to wash  it...” This laundry
can be done during one generation and then be left hanging  to dry during
another one. Your role is to do, God’s role is to destine. The  destiny of our
land does not lie in the hands of the incumbent regime. The  destiny of our land
lies in the hands of its people.
These are the very  people you have always chosen to serve at all cost.
Serving one’s people can  never be buried by the unfair markers of history or
society perse. This is why I  chose to prepare this letter thus wait for the day
that the destiny of our  beloved nation will revive the wise words of great
minds like you. Certainly God  willing this day is on the way and it will be here!
Mr. Sallah, many Gambians  and non Gambians can still remember the time you
chose to come back home from  the USA ready to serve your people. I had the
privilege of meeting one of your  respected classmates in Austin Texas who is
today a head of a faculty at  UTA-University of Arlington Texas. The latter is
one of the most recognized  universities in the globe. Listening to the good
things your former school mate  had to say about your character was so pleasing
for someone like me, who has  been your fan for all these years. I am naturally
obliged to expose the other  side of you that I came to know outside The
Gambia. This is a positive side of  your being therefore of great value and pride
to Gambians home and abroad. This  same positive side made you chop wood to
pay for your school fees while  traversing the cold streets during winter. This
side shows great dedication from  a responsible citizen who chose to ignore
portfolio and wealth for the sake of  one’s people. This side makes you my hero
for ever.
Mr. Sallah, In view of  the above my good brother take note that, my most
sincere intension is to  recognize the valuable services you have been rendering
to our people, including  me and others. The president of the incumbent
government can of course never  deny having benefited from those services. You have
indeed done so much for  Gambia and Gambians, at home and abroad. I cannot see
you be called someone who  failed in elections when you succeeded in
capturing the same seat on two  occasions after having faced one of the world’s worst
media campaigns, harsh  insults dripping from the septic tank of the media
machine of a sitting  government towards decent folks like you my good brother.
The same adverse  effects killed Marthin Luther King, Mahatma Ghandi, then
led Mandela to jail.  Today these names have been honoured by history and
society. This is why I would  want to salute you with my cap down on the ground.
Winning elections does not  mean winning confidence because confidence does not
care about fuming  popularity. Elections are meant to give mandates therefore
mandates are a  reflection of great expectations coming from people who have
either been misled  or educated. Where popularity comes into play understanding
one’s responsibility  can either be misplaced or miscalculated. Where choice
is based on principle and  responsibility mandates will never be used to
replace effective services. This  is how you and Sidia Jatta captured Wuli without
spending stolen dollars. This  is why intelligence does not recognize regional
feelings or social tags. The  farmer in Wuli has proven popularity wrong
because they voted Sidia again and  again after having understood his message of
sense and sensibility. Bravo!  Foroyaa! Bravo PDOIS! Bravo NADD! Where great men
are affected by negativity  sensible souls search for reasons. Where
characters that use popularity continue  to be the sucking lice of men and women
sensible souls will still search for  reasons. Reasons can be plausible or not
plausible but reasons are reasons in  one way or the other. What are the reasons
behind the current situation in our  political arena in The Gambia and in many
other countries in Africa? This is  where another responsibility waits for
researchers like you Mr. Sallah, Sam Sarr  and Sidia Jatta. Start your new jobs
right from this minute. Remember! There are  streets named after Marthin Luther
King and Nelson Mandela. These streets were  named after people who suffered
so much for the sake of liberating others.  Therefore good legacies are so
costly!
While expecting an open reply please  accept the assurances of my highest
regards and ever lasting support from a  brother who admires you so much.

Yours Sincerely
Essa Bokarr  SEY.
Former Gambian Ambassador in the US

DEFEATED INDEPENDENT  CANDIDATE SPEAKS
By Modou Jonga
The Defeated Independent Candidate for  Kombo South Constituency Mr. Abdou
Colley has said his losing to the APRC  candidate, Paul L. Mendy, is a verdict
of the people of Kombo South. Mr. Colley  who contested for the Kombo South
seat for the first time described his  performance as encouraging to this
reporter. The election result, he noted,  should be taken in good faith for the
common good of all. Mr. Colley urged his  supporters to be peaceful and be law
abiding. He thus hailed his supporters for  their show of solidarity both before
and after elections. “I call on my  supporters to accept the election results
in good faith as it stands,” he  reiterated.
Mr. Colley described the election process as transparent, free  and fair. On
his future political plans, Mr. Colley emphasised that he hopes to  contest
for the Kombo South seat in the future.

DEFEATED FONI  BINTANG CANDIDATE DECLINES TO COMMENT
By Modou Jonga
The defeated  candidate of the APRC for the Foni Bintang seat, Mr. Ebrima
Janko Sanyang has  declined to comment about his defeat in the just ended
National Assembly  polls.
Mr. Sanyang who was eyeing for a second term is defeated by Mr. Ebrima  Sollo
Jammeh who stood on an independent ticket. When I attempted twice to seek
his reaction on phone, he rang off.
Efforts by this reporter to get comments  from the elected Kombo Central
National Assembly member, Mr. Abdou F.S.H Jarju,  the defeated UDP Kombo North
candidate, Mr. Ismaila Sanneh and the elected Kombo  South National Assembly
member, Paul L. Mendy proved futile at the time of going  to press.

ELECTION DAY IN KOMBO NORTH
By Abdoulie G.  Dibba
As Gambians go to the polls on the 25th of January 2007 to elect their
National Assembly Members, this reporter went round polling stations within  Kombo
North Constituency to monitor the process. At polling station C137, it was
observed that there was no queue as voters trickled in. The presiding officer at
 this polling station, Bintou Sanyang, expressed disappointment regarding the
low  voter turn out. This view was buttressed by Malang Badjie, the APRC
agent and  Mustapha Sarr the UDP agent. This was the trend in all the twenty
polling  stations visited by this reporter in Kombo North constituency. The voting
process was smooth in almost all the polling stations visited, except Station
 C140A. The presence of the people hanging around was noticed by this
reporter  the polling station. The presiding officer at the station, Lamin BF Jassey,
told  this reporter that he intervened for them to disperse but the crowd did
not  disappear. It was discovered that they were APRC stalwarts in Lamin
village. At  polling stations C118A and C119B within the same vicinity, the Alkalo
of  Banjulinding could be seen brewing “attaya” at a close proximity which
the  election rules do not allow.

POLLING DAY IN JOKADU  CONSTITUENCY
By Annia Gaye
The Gambian people once again went to express  their constitutional rights on
Friday, 25th January 2006, by voting for the  candidate of their choice in
different constituencies; in The Gambia. This  Foroyaa reporter went round to
various constituencies and had  witness  polling in various stations within the
Jokadu District.
The first village  this reporter visited was polling station D55 at Munyagen
village where voting  started at 7. 00 am. Speaking to Foroyaa, the presiding
officer, Abdoulie Saho,  said he was supplied with 1000 tokens. He said the
voting process in Munagen was  peaceful. He observed that the turn out in the
area was not as good as was  expected. He added that most of the villagers were
engaged in their domestic  work, especially the women, but hoped that they
would come to cast their votes  later in the day.
The polling agent for the APRC, Mustapha Kebbeh, explained  that voting went
on very smoothly and peacefully and that there was no problem.  He said the
turn out was very good. The polling agent for the independent  candidate, Pa
Amat Jagne, also explained that the election process was going on  smoothly.The
polling agent for the UDP, Mustapha Gassama, also expressed a  similar
observation. He urged people to maintain the peace. He indicated his  lateness to cast
his vote but said he was happy to have finally done so.
When  I spoke to some voters namely one Fatou Cham and one Mustapha Joof,
both  expressed their satisfaction with the way the election process was
proceeding  and how voters were conducting themselves. They commended the IEC for a
job well  done.
Polling At Kerr Jarga Village
This reporter proceeded to Kerr Jarga  village to observe the polling and
interviewed the presiding officer, agents and  some of the voters. Talking to the
presiding officer at polling station D53,  Alpha B. Jallow explained that the
voting process was going on smoothly. He said  the turn out was fair. The
agents for the APRC, UDP and the Independent  candidate, namely Alhagie Cham,
Famara Jatta and Juma Bah,  respectively,  also expressed satisfaction that the
turn out was good as people were coming in  their large numbers to vote for the
candidates of their choice. .
Polling at  Kuntair Village
Polling took place in Kuntair Village at polling station D48.  The presiding
officer for the station, Bubacarr Jallow, stated that voting  started by
7.00am and that he was supplied with 1000 tokens. He said the voter  turn out was
good as people were coming in their large numbers. He further  expressed his
satisfactory with the process. Expressing his views on the voting  process, the
party agent for APRC, Idrissa Jallow, said the election process was
satisfactory and that every thing was in order. The agent for UDP, Amat Dem,  said the
process of the election was satisfactory. The agent for the independent
candidate, Ebou Bah, also expressed similar sentiments.

VOTING IN  NIAMINA EAST
By Lamin Fatty
Voting started in all the nineteen polling  stations in Niamina East at
7:00am. The presiding officer at Kundang Polling  station told this reporter that
the voting process started on time with a  promising voter turn out. In an
interview with a voter who claimed to support  the independent candidate in
Kudang, this reporter was told about the optimism  of Ebrima Marenah’s victory. In
Pateh Sam village the presiding officer, Kabiro  Bayan, said that the voter
turn-out was very low compared to the presidential  election. Visiting Sambel
Kunda, this reporter observed a smooth voting process  at the polling station.
The results for the constituency was as follows:  Foday Jallow of APRC polled
2586 votes and Ebrima Marenah, the Independent  candidate, got 2401 votes.
The difference is only 185 votes. However, Mr. Ebrima  Marenah, the independent
candidate expressed his refusal to accept the  results.

ELECTION DAY IN CENTRAL BADIBOU CONSTITUENCY
Polling At  Salikenni Village
By Annia Gaye
As the much awaited day arrived, voters in  Salikenni Village in Central
Badibou, went out at polling stations and ready to  cast their votes for the
candidates of their choice. Foroyaa went round to the  polling stations to
interview the presiding officers on the election process.  The first polling station
visited was D76 in Salikenni where the presiding  officer, Fabakary Makalo, in
an interview said that by 1:40 am they had  registered about 265 voters from a
total voter list of 789. He indicated that  the process of voting was going
on very smoothly but that it was a bit busy in  the morning. He said that the
only problem which they encountered was voter card  transfers. He said three
people transferred their voter’s cards but their names  were not in the voter
register. He explained that he had to call the Assistant  Returning (ARO), who
referred him to the Regional Office at Kerewan. He said  that it was after the
names were confirmed there that he finally allowed them to  cast their votes.
He further indicated that this was taken note of by the  party’s polling
agents. The presiding officer expressed his appreciation of the  process which he
described as smooth and orderly. The presiding officer for  polling station,
D65B, Buhadry Juwara, said that voting started at 7:00am and  that the voter
turn out was very low. He stated that the voters were coming out  one by one to
cast their votes. He said the process was going on smoothly as  expected.
The presiding officer for D75B, Ebrima A.M Bah, said that voting  started at
the scheduled time with all polling staff and agents who witnessed  every
stage of the process; that the voting proceeded smoothly. Also interviewed  was
the presiding officer for D74A, Sheriff John Fofana, who complained about a  low
voter turnout but noted that the process was without incident; that the
problem of transfers also surfaced but was finally settled.
Polling At  Mandory Village
The polling station at Mandory Village, D80, was also  visited. The presiding
officer, Kebba Colley, told this reporter that the voting  started at 7:00 am
but that the turnout was very low. He, however, expressed his  satisfaction
with the process and attributed the low turn-out to voters who are  residing in
Banjul and the Kombos and were not coming home to vote.
At Kinteh  Kunda Marong Kunda
At D81 polling station for Kinteh Kunda and Marong Kunda,  the presiding
officer, Momodou S. K. Balajo, also lamented the low turnout and  projected that
they would get between 25% to 30% out of the total number of  registered
voters. He said that everything was fine and that the security  officers were
present.
Polling At Njaba Kunda
This Foroyaa reporter  proceeded to Njaba Kunda village where three polling
stations were put in place  at the Njaba Kunda Upper Basic and Lower Basic
Schools.
There too, the  presiding officers expressed their observation of a low voter
turn-out. Overall,  the voting process was said to be peaceful in the area.

CANDIDATES  DISATISFIED WITH VOTER TURN OUT
By Amie Sanneh
Candidates within the  Serrekunda East and Jeshwang Ward constituencies, who
contested for the National  Assembly Elections, have expressed dissatisfaction
with the turn out of  voters.
They described the turn out of voters as “poor.”
The UDP candidate  for Serrekunda East, Bunambass Congira, expressed
satisfaction in the manner and  way the IEC conducted the voting process. “But I’m
not satisfied with the turn  out of voters, even during the campaign periods,”
he said.
He gave his  reasons for the low turn out of voters as, “People who are
discouraged due to  the way the presidential elections went.” Mr. Congira added
that, “People also  think that parliamentary elections are not important which is
why they did not  turn out to vote.”
He however thanked God for the peaceful atmosphere but  noted that the only
sad news he had was that one of his supporters, (Kebba Demba  Ceesay) was
arrested a day before the elections.
Also speaking to these  reporters, the APRC candidate Fabakary Tombong Jatta
after casting his vote said  he was concerned about the low turn out of
voters, “People may believe that in  the morning there will be long queues so they
may decide to wait till in the  afternoon,” he said.
Mr. Jatta however described the election process as  peaceful and commended
the electorate for allowing him to contest for a third  term. Pa Sainey Jallow,
the Independent candidate for Serrekunda East also  speaking to Foroyaa after
casting his vote, described the voting process as  peaceful but expressed
dismay about the low turn out of voters, “Gambians will  wait up to the eleventh
hour before they come out in their numbers,” he said. He  further explained
that “At this moment maybe people are busy with their domestic  work,” he
remarked.
Mr. Jallow pointed out that some would prefer to wait  till after the two O’
clock prayers or after lunch.
“Elections” he said “come  and go but the people remain.” Thus, he advised
the people to join hands towards  the development of the country after
elections. At the Jeshwang Constituency I  spoke to the UDP candidate, Junkungba
Dukureh, who also said the turn out of  voters was disappointing, “It might be a
punishment,” he said. He however  remarked that it is their democratic right
not to come out to vote.
“We have  been sensitising the electorate but you see they did not turn out,”
 he said  “Gambians do not pay regard to parliamentary elections. It is only
the  presidential election that they regard,” he remarked.
The UDP candidate  noted that people should respect themselves by coming out
and voting. “You can  only fight your right by voting,” said Mr. Dukureh.
He also described the  voting process as peaceful.
Efforts were made to get in touch with the APRC  candidate for Jeshwang,
Haddy Jagne, for her opinion. This reporter however  visited her house twice but
never meet her there.
According to most of the  presiding officers at the polling stations in the
two constituencies I visited,  the turnout was as poor but they noted that no
problem was  encountered.

“CELEBRATE VICTORY PEACEFULLY”
SAYS DEFEATED UDP  KOMBO CENTRL CANDIDATE
By Modou Jonga
After the declaration of the results  of the National Assembly Elections, the
defeated UDP Kombo Central Candidate,  Mr. Ousman G. A Kebbeh, has urged his
opponent’s camp (the APRC supporters) to  celebrate, cheer and jubilate
peacefully. Celebrating victory with provocations  and harassments he said, could
consequently lead to disorder and chaos.
Mr.  Kebbeh, made this call on Friday in Brikama, in an interview with this
reporter.  The defeated UDP candidate has described the polling process as
free. The Kombo  Central UDP defeated candidate also lamented the low turnout
which he stated, is  one of many factors responsible for his defeat. He also
expressed his gratitude  to his supporters who have contributed either morally or
financially during the  campaign. Mr. Kebbeh thus conceded defeat.
On his future political plans, Mr.  Kebbeh stated that it is premature to
outline that but added that he could  honour future political call by the people
of Kombo Central.

APRC  CANDIDATE DECLINES AN INTERVIEW
Mr. Ousainou Sainey Jaiteh, the APRC  candidate who vied for the Serrekunda
Central seat in the National Assembly  election, has declined to grant an
interview to the Foroyaa Newspaper prior to  the polls.
Despite several unsuccessful arrangements and appointments, he  finally told
this reporter he has nothing to do with Foroyaa.
Asked why, the  candidate claimed that he has other things to do rather than
grant an interview  with the paper.
“I am busy with leveling my ground and my campaign  programme,” he said. “
You will be the first person I will grant an interview  come Friday 26th January
2007,” he ironically stated.

“I WAS HIGHLY  OPTIMISTIC”
SAYS MODOU S. TOURAY
By Annia Gaye
The Newly elected APRC  National Assembly Member for Central Badibu, Hon
Modou S. Touray, described his  election victory as something he expected since
the campaign period. Hon Touray,  was speaking to this reporter at the counting
station at Njaba Kunda Upper Basic  School immediately after the results were
announced by the IEC.
He claimed  that his prediction was that he’ll have “3100 votes but instead
had 3053 votes.”  “Definitely, I was highly expecting this number,” said
Touray.

ELECTIONS IN BANJUL
By Madiba Singhateh
In the  Parliamentary Elections in Banjul, polling started at 7:00 am in
almost all the  3 constituencies and closed by 4:00pm. I spoke to presiding
officers at their  various polling stations. The presiding officer for A3 polling
station at Gambia  High School, Abdoulie Sanyang, said that polls were opened by
7: 00am and should  close by 4:00pm. At polling station A5B situated at
Campama Primary School in  Banjul North constituency, polling closed by 4:00pm.
Just before the close of  the polls, this reporter spoke to one of the presiding
officers, Yankuba Kanteh.  Mr. Kanteh told this reporter that the turn out was
very low and that they were  to close by 4:00pm.
In Banjul North Constituency counting started at 6:00 pm  at The Gambia High
School Hall and it ended by 7:30pm. In Banjul South counting  was held at the
St. Joseph’s Primary School, while in Banjul Central, counting  was held at
the BCC grounds. In all the constituencies of Banjul, polling went  on smoothly.

KALIFA B. JAMMEH WINS BAKAU SEAT
By Sarjo Camara  Singhateh
The constituency of Bakau, selected their choice of representation  in the
National Assembly, in the recently concluded National Assembly Elections  of the
25th of January, 2007. The end result of the political battle between the
ruling APRC candidate, Mr. Kalifa B. Jammeh, and the opposition UDP’s Mr.
Nfamara S. Bojang, in the said constituency finally came on the 25th January  2007,
at the Independence Stadium, where the counting of the votes took place.  Mr.
Kalifa B. Jammeh, retained his incumbency with 3009 votes, while Nfamara S.
Bojang of the UDP came out with 2869 votes. The total number of votes cast was
 5877 with 8693 unused tokens, out of a total number of 14,570 registered
voters.
The counting was witnessed by the Assistant Returning Officers  Messrs.
Yankuba Sawaneh and Ousman Sawo, of the IEC. When I spoke  to Mr.  Kalifa B.
Jammeh, shortly after the counting was completed, he said, he knew  that he would be
re-elected because he had been securing the interest of his  constituents
during his first term. He promised to re-double his efforts to  serve his people
more efficiently in his new term.
Mr. Jammeh also said that  on behalf of his people, he would appeal to the
authorities to consider the  situation of the people of Bakau. He noted that
presently there are some  families in Bakau whose lands have been taken from them
by the authorities. Mr.  Jammeh said he would also take women’s issues
seriously in the next National  Assembly because Bakau women are hardworking but
lacked facilities for their  produce.
He stated that they could not alleviate poverty without putting such
structures in place. “I promised to develop Bakau constituency in any way,” he
stated. Mr. Jammeh said his doors are open for anybody who wants to work with
him. Polling at Bakau started as early as 7: 00am. This reporter visited many
places, but the voter turn out was very low, according to the presiding officers
 I spoke to. Also, some voters could neither find their names on the register
nor  the counterfoil which created confusion. Later it was confirmed by the
IEC  officers that any voter who came with a voters’ card should be allowed to
vote  for the simple reason that the transfer counterfoils could not be found
at the  IEC head office. The voting process went on smoothly. Readers could
recall that  Bakau was a UDP stronghold until 2001, when the UDP decided to
boycott the  National Assembly elections and Mr. Jammeh went  unopposed.

OLD YUNDUM TRIAL
By Modou Jonga
The trial  involving Mustapha Jadama and 16 other accused persons was, on
22nd January,  2007 adjourned to Wednesday 31st January. The case was presided
over by  Magistrate E. F M’bai of the Brikama Magistrate Court. The seventeen
accused  persons, who pleaded not guilty to the criminal charge against them,
are charged  with acting without lawful excuse in a manner that is calculated to
lead to  incitement of violence, destruction or damage to property.
This alleged act  which violates Section 59 (b) of the criminal code, is said
to have happened on  the 1st December, last year at Old Yundum and Sinchu
Alagie Village in the Kombo  North. The court has so far heard the testimonies of
three officers of the  Police Intervention Unit who are attached to the
Brikama Police  Station.

APRC SUPPORTER’S CASE
By Modou Jonga
The Brikama  Magistrates Court will on Wednesday 31st January, 2007 deliver
judgment on the  assault case involving Alimamo Gibba, a supporter of the APRC.
The case was  adjourned on the 24th January, 2007. The accused, Alimamo
Gibba, has entered his  defence on Tuesday 19th December last year at the said
court presided over by  Magistrate E.F M’bai
The accused is said to have pelted the complainant (Olly  Touray) , a
supporter of the United Democratic Party, with a stone on the 15th  May last year at
Pirang Village in the Kombo East Constituency. The court has  heard the
testimonies of the complainant, Lamin R. Darboe (The defeated UDP  Candidate in the
National Assembly Elections) and Sergeant Bunja Darboe who is  attached to the
Brikama Police Station.

REPATRIATED MIGRANTS’ CASE  RE-ADJOURNED
By Modou Jonga
The trial involving Ismaila Jawla, the first  accused, and twenty-nine other
repatriated Gambian migrants was on Monday 29th  January, deferred to 12th
February, due to the absence of the Presiding  Magistrate, E.F M’bai.
The repatriated migrants, most of whom are in  their mid-twenties, are
charged with malicious damage to the property of The  Gambia Civil Aviation
Authority (GCAA) at The Banjul International  Airport  on 28th October 2006.
The accused persons have pleaded not guilty to the  charge preferred against
them. Six of the accused persons were present in court.