GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mr. O. B. Silla" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 04:13:33 EST
Members,

They say, what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.  This forum has been expressly unreservedly it's diverse views as to what/how we expect other people (governments, media houses and individuals) to act/comport, rule, speak etc.  Now we have been reminded ourselves vividly of our responsibilities/duties to our readers who may not only be Gambians.  These criticisms are level against us by observers of what had been unfolding on the Gambia-L for sometime now.  And there is no hiding from the truth, let's us face it squarely and adjust our individual comportments in the usage of language to convey our messages without resorting to any invectives like the ones quoted in the Independent's story and more, least, we send the wrong signals and we shall be perceived in the negative light.  If we (members of G-L) voluntarily set standards for others to be seen to be living by, THEN, we must also be seen to keep our side of the bargain by tempering our angers and fury w!
ith common sense and decency.  It is that simple.  This is why I think the Independent's story is pertinent to discuss objectively amongst ourselves as a community.

Finally, I only hope and based on the Independent newpaper's article  about Gambia-L's handling of debates/discussions and of course, how our friends (non-Gambians on the list) see us, would undoubtedly serve as an undercurrent for all and sundry to put their houses in order before it is too late in the day.

In pursuit of fair play and justice.

OB Silla.