GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:21:54 +0100
Sister Jabou Joh,

If you "think that even the moles under the rocks were aware of this sad
fact" I should become all the more miffed by the fact that intelligent
humans like your good self are busier with the forensics of who said what
when in the trivial procedural search for a fitting Opposition leader -
demonising or crediting individuals in the process - rather than enhancing
knowledge abount doing everything humanely possible to ensure that the
democratic contents of said revolution are carried out in a post-Jammeh
Gambia, irrespective of who is president!
Details and generalities are important here. But the key question is about
what? Should we deal with the trivial and langourous search for Mr. Uriah
Heep or should we use our time to debate the singular failure of
progressives to cease the best opportunity since independence(!)to be not
only part of a government through a democratic process, but one that is also
equipped with a minimum programme carrying some national democratic content?

At this point, am afraid, we differ in thinking. For instance, your
"...checks and balances ... in order to avoid the possibility of any leader
perpetuating themselves in power" generates the illusion of attainability as
soon as the ink dries. This and other democratic gains, in my view, come
about as a result of popular mass struggle especially enhanced greatly by a
vanguard with a foothold in government. Well now, as you and Edie Sidibeh
would have it, we have a Titanic and its scruffy captain. And the checks and
balances, debris on the shore, long ago tossed overboard as flotsam and
jetsam.

Till later...

Many thanks,
Brother modou sidibeh