GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:36:22 -0700
HAVE YOU GUYS READ THE ARTICLE BELOW?  I THINK WE
BETTER LET MR. DONNELLY KNOW THAT HE HAS JUST JOINED
THE LONG LINE OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN FOOLED BY
JAMMEH.  SAMBA, ALL OF US NEED TO SEND A PERSONAL NOTE
TO MR. DONNELY AND THE BOSTON GLOBE.

--- SAMBA NJIE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The article below appeared on the Boston Globe a few
> weeks ago.
> Samba
>

>  AFRICAN LEADERS LASH OUT
>                   AT UN, WEST ACCUSED OF KEEPING
>                   CONTINENT IN POVERTY
>
>                        Author: By John Donnelly,
> Globe Staff Date:
> 09/09/2000 Page: A1 Section:
>                        National/Foreign
>
>                   UNITED NATIONS - Amid a year that
> has seen intensive
> international attention
>                   toward Africa and its daunting
> list of troubles,
> dozens of angry African leaders
>                   fired back this week at Western
> powers, saying concern
> alone is not enough.
>
>                   As the United Nations millennium
> summit finished three
> days of deliberations and
>                   speeches yesterday, an overriding
> theme emerged from
> African heads of state
>                   who charged that the forces of
> globalization are
> enriching the West anew while
>                   sentencing them to even more
> misery.
>
>                   "We were slaves, then there was
> colonization, and we
> are saying that even with
>                   globalization we will never become
> global slaves
> again," President Yahya Jammeh
>                   of Gambia said in an interview in
> his hotel suite
> overlooking Central Park. "It took
>                   African blood, sweat, and tears to
> build the West, and
> now the West, instead of
>                   respecting us, is treating us like
> dogs."
>
>                   Several African leaders voiced
> solidarity with the
> grass-roots international
>                   movement against the International
> Monetary Fund and
> the World Bank,
>                   suggesting that an alliance was
> possible.
>
>                   "From Seattle to Washington, D.C.,
> from Davos to
> London, and in many other
>                   places, people have spoken and
> signaled in no
> uncertain terms that the present
>                   world order, particularly in
> economic, trade, and
> development areas, is
>                   unsatisfactory and needs to be
> reformed," said Anund
> Priyay Neewoor, UN
>                   ambassador from the tiny island
> nation of Mauritius.
>
>                   "What the people have said in the
> streets now, the
> developing countries have been
>                   saying for many years in various
> international fora
> with little success," he said.
>
>                   Resentment from Africa is not
> uncommon at world
> events, but this time it came in
>                   a year in which the United Nations
> held extensive
> hearings in January on the
>                   continent's needs. On Thursday, a
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

                       ALSO

"NOTHING IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE ONLY QUESTION IS, WHETHER ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS DESIRED"