GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:34:41 +0200
Yankuba,

First of all, I would like to applaud your efforts. The Website looks good. With
some pictures telling the message as they are, it will be a good beginning. When
I visited the Site at work, I sensed precisely what the Lady lamented over. But
still we can learn from our mistakes and make something positive out of them.

First, let us focus on the main issue; letting the petition serve its purpose. I
would suggest that you stop the single e-mail action for now. We should adopt
Momodou Camara' suggestion earlier, that is, ask all those who DO NOT wish to
have their e-mails appended to the petition to write a personal mail to you
within two days. By default, we can then assume that silence means accepting to
have your name appended. You can then liaise with the Gambia-L list managers
afterwards, to have a list of all subscribers. Delete those names which should
not appear, as requested, and send the petition with the list of signatories to
the list for members to scrutinize one more time; those whose names do not
appear can send you a private mail and those whose names have mistakenly been
appended can send a private mail for correction. On thursday (latest), the final
petition would have been ready to be dispatched to the addresses specified. This
version with names can then be stored at the Website for anyone who so wishes to
download, append further signatures by hand and use at local level. This will
take people who are not on the list into consideration.

The petition as it is now can be used as suggested indirectly by Catherine
Hampton. On the day when most people will take to the streets to demonstrate, we
can send individual mails to Jammeh,  Gambian missions abroad who refused to
accept petitions from demonstrators etc.

On another note, it seems not all address provided by Buharry and others are
included in your list of addressees. Would it be possible to add the missing
ones?

Finally, I think we should reply to Catherine Hampton's mail. Can you or Momodou
Camara do this? (just a suggestion). I think we should apologise to her and the
Webmaster for overlooking this menace and explain that it was not our intention.
Also the message at the bottom of the mails sent from the Website:
"This letter protesting the senseless killing of innocent students and civilians
was submitted by alhagi njie ([log in to unmask]) on Monday, April 17, 2000 at
13:48:25" should in my opinion be deleted, as long as it is not a requirement
from the Webmanager.

Please consider the above as nothing more than suggestion.

Regards,

Alpha Robinson