GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 04:08:51 -0500
Matarr and Abdoukarim,
Thanks for the sharing your observation and efforts about Campama. Its
great that the Independent Newspaper brings this topic again. Its very sad
to read about the condition of the place and to see som many mentally
retarded people working around in the streets.
I remember the last time the issue was discussed her on Gambia-l I
contacted the Friends of Gambia here in Denmark and was told that they had
given some hospital beds to Campama.

I received a mail from a good friend of The Gambia Susan Rowe who wrote
that she would send the article to some of their local Psychiatric
Hospitals and see if any of them can help.

Momodou Camara

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:59:08 -0700, abdoukarim sanneh
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Matarr it did not surprise me too. Three years ago I wrote a piece on the
Gambia-l title Gambia's forgotten citizens. Funds where raise in Gambia
with Tijan Nyang and also one of my friends in Birmingham but the corrupt
regime did not compliment such a good effort of concern individuals.The
situation in Campama is dehumanising and more help is needed for the
welfare of our brothers and sisters. The hardship in our country can even
increase more mental disorder. Let us review from the literature of Frantz
Fanon- The wretched of the earth on Algerian where he associated mental
illness in that society with economic and psychological degradation in his
capacity as a psychotherapist.