GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:02:46 +0100
Brothers and Sisters,

Thank you all for your words of concerns. As we keep
saying, The Gambia Press Union is not asking for any
special treatment from the government but rather equal
treatment under the full force of the law dictated by
the principles of good faith. The Union is not atall
opposed to the setting up of a media commission as
this is a constitutional requirement. What we are
opposed to however is the wording of this bill. As you
can see below, this bill has supremecy over the
constitution under chapter 39,  the commission can
receive evidence that is not admissible in ordinary
courts, the members of the commission who are no
judges can fine and even impound the tools of trade of
journalists, and many other repressive clauses.
Enjoying reading it.