GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:31:07 +0000
My condolences to the Njie family and friends of Max.  He was a strict but
fair referee and I respected him for that and I can certainly speak for my
colleagues at the time.  As one of the youngest and smallest players in the
first division at the time, Max knew that the older players' tricks was to
use unnecessary roughness for their deficit in speed and will always try to
use it to get rid of some of us, Kemo Fatajo in particular.  Max's favorite
rebuke of such behavior was the issuance of a red card with this phrase
"Nurhul Chi Biti" (get the hell out of here), or if the roughness was not
too deliberate he will caution them by saying "Soo Bugae Tella Sangu,
Continale" (if you want to take a quick shower just keep it up, because the
next such roughness will earn you an early trip to the shower and he meant
it).

Yours truly got a taste of a yellow card from him with the second caution
above.  To get an early take off from folks like Modou Sereh (Sweeper), I'll
lean back on them and demand the ball.  Demanding the ball to my right foot,
I will step my left foot on his right foot, making him immobile before
take-off to my right.  This gives me a goal or a free kick or penalty if he
holds my jersey, because its usually right in the box.  Well, Max caught me
that time and disallowed the goal and pointed me with his trademark tiny
fingers with his famous caution.  The crowd really thought that should have
been a goal, but I knew different.  It is a quick move that even those in
the field will not pick up, but he did.  He appreciated tough but fair play,
and had zero tolerance for intensions to maim.  The guilty accused him of
unfairness, but the crowd were certainly behind him for his no nonsense for
thuggry.  Being a stickler for fairness on the field I respected him even
more.  Other impartial referees that come to mind were Badou Jasseh, Osseh
Coker, etc.  This is a loss to Gambia.  May he rest in peace.

Chi Jaama

Joe