GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:30:54 +0100
Folks

This is a good step from Yahya Jammeh, but lets be
cautious by its timing and implications;

Since Decree 89 was deemed to be part of our laws,
then surely it is the National Assembly that should
repeal it. Although, this may sound accademic, it is
best that the President orders the National Assembly
to conduct an emergency session repealing decree 89
from the statute books. According to the 1997
Constitution, the President has no right to amend or
make law, so we have a problem here with yesterday's
statement.

The First Republican Parties affected previously  by
Decree 89 will face an uphill task of trying to
operate as political parties. Despite Yahya Jammeh's
proclamation, they are still not required to operate
until they fulfill the conditions set down in Section
60 of the Second Republican Constitution.

The onus therefore lies on the Government to authorise
the National Assembly to make the necessary
modifications.

On that note I hope the Government clarifies its
position.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi Owens.

 --- Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > In a message
dated 7/22/2001 10:51:30 AM Central