GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdou toure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:39:14 +0000
The imbecilic behaviour of despots is nourished by a presumptuous belief
that their tyrannical rule has an unlimited existence. This basic fact
explains more than any other why despots behave as if "there is no
tomorrow"; as if they "are forever". The move being contemplated by Joseph
Joof to disqualify Darboe from seeking high political office, like other
machinations and nettlesome acts of skullduggery by Yaya's terrorist regime,
should be seen in this light. They are immersed in the naïve presumption of
immortality- that no one but they are to control the affairs of the nation.
So finding ways of stumping the newly formed alliance is consistent with
their evil designs to control events in their favor. Remember that Yaya and
his grunts are already on record that they will not loose elections! . For
them the die is cast: they are going to prevail because in their diminutive
minds they are "political immortals"; because they have seized ownership of
a country from its people; the Gambia is theirs, according to their
Lilliputian view of things. Therefore, we must not ignore Gassama's estimate
that the opposition would most likely receive about 36% of the vote in the
presidential election. His estimate may be resonating with what the
terrorist regime has planed to doctor the results.

Lamentably, this grim picture is the "reality" we are faced with. Without a
doubt the perils  inherent in this reality are great indeed. This is the
situation we face in the Gambia today. We have a tyrannical regime that sees
no boundaries to its powers and its desire to stay in power. If anybody
thinks that come election day Yaya will make a concession speech, he/she is
making a mistake. That will not happen,not because the opposition would not
win but because it will NOT be allowed to win.This is why the opposition
should have two parallel plans: one for fully contesting the elections and
two for for confronting the pirates when the results are announced in their
favour.

But my fear is that very soon, our greatest enemy would no longer be Yaya,
but instead the chary attitude of the opposition towards any other means of
ending our misery than the ballot box and the courts, which Yaya controls.
Now the opposition must be serious about taking to the streets if Yaya
steals the elections. We have seen how successful this aspect of the
struggle for freedom has been in recent times both in Africa and elsewhere.

History tells us that in many circumstances true freedom is earned through
sustained struggle and sacrifice, including mass action or the threat
thereof. The situation in The Gambia cannot be an exception.

AT