GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:53:25 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:15:55 -0500
From: Saul Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Barbara Lee's statement

____

hello friends - most of you probably know that Barbara Lee,
Oakland/Berkeley's representative in the House, was the only person in
Congress to vote against a recent resolution granting Bush sweeping war
powers and removing several safeguards that ensure accountability. Although
I am not her constituent (too far north by one mile), I admire
Representative Lee's courage and unwavering principles, and thought you
might be interested in seeing her statement to Congress. In addition, here's
a link to her "voting fact sheet" so you know exactly what she voted for and
against:

http://www.house.gov/lee/Fact_Sheet_Votes.htm

I hope that we will soon see the wisdom of her eloquent words, and not face
the consequences of another "historic mistake". If you agree, please support
Representative Lee and make your voice on this issue heard.

peace,
jean

    Ms. LEE: Mr. Speaker, I rise today with a heavy heart,
one that is filled with sorrow for the families and loved
ones who were killed and injured in New York, Virginia,
and Pennsylvania. Only the most foolish or the most callous
would not understand the grief that has gripped the American
people and millions across the world.

     This unspeakable attack on the United States has forced
me to rely on my moral compass, my conscience, and my God
for direction.

     September 11 changed the world. Our deepest fears now
haunt us. Yet I am convinced that military action will not
prevent further acts of international terrorism against
the United States.

     I know that this use-of-force resolution will pass although
we all know that the President can wage a war even without
this resolution. However difficult this vote may be, some
of us must urge the use of restraint. There must be some
of us who say, let's step back for a moment and think through
the implications of our actions today--let us more fully
understand its consequences.

     We are not dealing with a conventional war. We cannot
respond in a conventional manner. I do not want to see this
spiral out of control. This crisis involves issues of national
security, foreign policy, public safety, intelligence gathering,
economics, and murder. Our response must be equally multi-faceted.

     We must not rush to judgment. Far too many innocent people
have already died. Our country is in mourning. If we rush
to launch a counter-attack, we run too great a risk that
women, children, and other non-combatants will be caught
in the crossfire.

     Nor can we let our justified anger over these outrageous
acts by vicious murderers inflame prejudice against all
Arab Americans, Muslims, Southeast Asians, or any other
people because of their race, religion, or ethnicity.

     Finally, we must be careful not to embark on an open-ended
war with neither an exit strategy nor a focused target.
We cannot repeat past mistakes.

     In 1964, Congress gave President Lyndon Johnson the power
to ``take all necessary measures'' to repel attacks and
prevent further aggression. In so doing, this House abandoned
its own constitutional responsibilities and launched our
country into years of undeclared war in Vietnam.

     At that time, Senator Wayne Morse, one of two lonely votes
against the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, declared, ``I believe
that history will record that we have made a grave mistake
in subverting and circumventing the Constitution of the
United States.........I believe that within the next century,
future generations will look with dismay and great disappointment
upon a Congress which is now about to make such a historic
mistake.''

     Senator Morse was correct, and I fear we make the same
mistake today. And I fear the consequences.

     I have agonized over this vote. But I came to grips with
it in the very painful yet beautiful memorial service today
at the National Cathedral. As a member of the clergy so
eloquently said, ``As we act, let us not become the evil
that we deplore.''