GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:35:04 +0100
Hei all football enthusiast,

I got a mail from the Y.M.C.A that the Scorpions lost 3-0 to the Lions of Senegal in last Sunday`s encounter. According to them Senegal played a side filled with their foreign based players as they prepare for the coming African Nations Cup. It seems a less experienced Gambian side couldn`t pose any significant threat. Well, what should I say? I dont think The Gambia has ever been a major obstacle to the Senegalese.

It`s great that there are many football guys out here. Adama Sey, that was a touching peice. I`ll tell you I feel the same way about football. I`ve shed many tears for especially Real de Banjul. And thanks for mentionig Baboucarr Sillah. I sure remember him during the days of Joko Bell, Mbye Boye. Joe Gaye, Alagie Mbye, Koliko, Banks, Modou Sirray, Maya, Garanti etc etc, some of whom were Farimang guys at the Serekunda West Nawetan. By the way Baboucarr let me remind you that it was Kofi Habreh who humiliated Bill Badjie at the Box Bar Stadium and not Nii Lampteh. Lampteh was too young then. Momodou Mbye Jabang thanks for the reminder about Nyanga Sallah. You see we`ve produced so many great players that it is difficult for every one of us to recall everybody. It`s great that all these names are coming up again. Remember Rahu Mbye and Dangki Nyang? May they both continue to rest in peace.

Personally I believe that all these sports personalities we`ve been mentioning, and those we dont remember have contributed immensely in our history. Remember they were(are) all ordinary people who lived in ordinary homes just like the majority of our people, and most of them shared the same plight with some of us. But they have all contributed in their own ways in filling many hearts with joy, and yes most of them would still serve as icons. It was common that kids go round carrying names like Biri, Charlie Boy, Sang Ndong, Burama Yengall etc. They were part of us, and as Mandela stated "It is not the armies and generals who make history, but the masses of the people". I salute all Gambian sports heroes.

Now this is my line up.
Goalkeeper- Saho
Defenders- Gaba Touray, Lamin Owens, Saul Jagne(Gentile), Commie Owens.
MIdfield- Saihou Sarr, Biri( yes player of the century), Amadou Makalay Adams, Saul Samba
Forward- Aziz Corr, Bais Wadda.

Do you guys remember this policeman called "endurance" because of his persistannt endurance in chasing the likes of myself who always sneak into Box Bar? He caught me once, and I was lucky that Alieu Sinyan former Adonis player came to my rescue. And what about Modou, the caretaker, and Ndama the taxi driver who was a dead Real fan, and the late Alieu Sallah with his trumpet, and Jatta who also was a dead Wallidan fan ? I can never stand Wallidan though. Why? Because I was a Lancaster kid and you know what that means?  REAL DE BANJUL.But, I admire Biri and Star Janneh a lot to be frank.

How about an African team of the century ? Here is my line up.

Goalkeeper- Thomas Nkona (camaroun)
Defenders- Stephen Keshi(Nigeria), Emmanuel Kunde(Cameroun), Roger Mendy(Senegal), Celestine Babayaro(Nigeria)
Midfield- Aziz Bouderbala (Morroco), Lakhdar Belloumi(Algeria), Rabah Madjer(Algeria) Abedi Pele(Ghana)
Forward. George Weah (Liberia), Roger Milla(Cameroun.)

What do you guys think? Have a good evening.

Regards,
Omar.