GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:22:03 -0500
Mr. Berang Jeng and Fellow Comrades:

As a former student of Bishop Michael Cleary's, I want to thank you for
reporting on his message to the Gambian people.  I can vividly remember the
sermons Bishop Cleary did during assembly hall at Saint Augustine's High.
I never doubted that he would speak one day to clarify horrible conditions
under this dictatorship.

We at Saint Augustine's during Father Cleary's tenure were taught to be
decent, hardworking, sincere and respectful to our elders.  We were taught
also to speak the truth and never doubt our ability.  We were always told
to speak our minds and to advocate for equality amongst the Gambian people.
We got along fine, despite our religious differences.  I am oblige to
pinpoint that due to strict discipline at Father Cleary's Saint
Augustine's, I am able to understand the meaning of quality work and
punctuality.

So when evil yahya started tormenting and denying Gambians their rights to
political democracy, I never doubted that the Catholic Church would one day
speak out.  Words and deeds are conditions for a peaceful and tolerable
society.  We have been taught to never give up the fight.  Our ability to
assimilate and accept people with different religious beliefs are
testaments to our success.

May we hear from the rest of the secular society.  We are adamant to keep
the thugs out of the Gambia.  We believe in democracy.  We want our country
back.

Long live democracy and down with dictator yahya jemus.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh

Mariama
> pilgrimage, Saturday, December 9, further lamented, "lives of young
people have
> been lost in what were meant to be peaceful demonstrations that turned
out to be
> armed clashes. Later, armed gangs resorted to criminal activity in
attempting to
> destroy a radio station.
>
> Newspaper headlines included the following: 'Radio 1 DJ flees house,
following
> threats', 'Gangs attack bars, motels, sex workers'. Let us hope that in
these
> cases, justice will be done and seen to be done. There are legitimate
forms of
> protest but these do not include threats to life and the wanton
destruction of
> property."
>
> Speaking on the theme, "Peace begins in the family', Bishop Cleary said
the
> contributions which the family can offer to preserving and promoting
peace is
> 'most important'. He added, "The family is a community of life and love.
It is
> the ideal means for transmitting religious and cultural values. These
values
> must not just be taught, but must be witnessed in a family setting. Which
leaves
> out that self-giving love which is capable of accepting those who are
different
> and making their needs its own.
>
> "Another serious obstacle to the development of peace is the fact that
many
> children are deprived of the warmth of a family. In order to count on a
peaceful
> future, every child needs to experience the warmth of caring and constant
> affection," he added.
>
> This year's annual celebration was the fourteenth to take place at the
southern
> Kombo village of Kunkujang Mariama.
>
> The celebration and prayers began with a vigil mass on Friday evening. On
> Saturday morning, benediction was led by Fr Bruno Toupan, then the
pontifical
> mass was celebrated by pilgrims, priests and the principal celebrant,
Bishop
> Cleary.
>
> At 3:30pm, pilgrims gathered at the shrine, reciting the 'ways of cross'
and
> prayed at the grotto to Virgin Mary.
>
> This year's pilgrimage attracted thousands of worshippers from across the
> country and Senegal.

> if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.

--- Lamine Conteh
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.