GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:05:49 +0000
Binneh, thanks for your observations and I agree with most of them.
However, I have a different take from your below statement.

"Why should people even bother to participate in an election under such a
government?  What Gambians need to do is to boycott any form of elections?
The more elections, the more we even legitimize the APRC under Jammeh."

Binneh, Gambians for what ever reason are not willing to challenge this
government regardless of the murders and massive corruption and abuse that
obtains.  I am hoping that the terrible conditions that our people are
subjected to will be so unbearable that the people will snap before 2006,
making an election with the AFPRC a none issue.  However, if we get to 2006
without this prediction maturing, Gambians will have prepared themselves to
put these criminals out of business for good.  What do I mean by that.  The
Alternative leadership with the support of the masses should be in the
throat of the IEC and be ready to fight the IEC, AFPRC, and the courts each
step of the way if it comes to that.  We knew the game that was played in
2001.  If the voter registration is not accepted by the Alternative, then
there will be no elections and the Alternative leadership will be armed with
that backing from the people, thus, the fight to force Yaya to step down
will commence.  When his term lapses without an election, even his friends
on the outside, like the US and UK will step away from him.  Thus, it will
be Yaya against Gambians and I have my buck on Gambians.

If he gives in and accepts the registration demands from the Alternative,
but hope to steal the ballot, again, we would be armed with proof of that
theft and he will still be forced to step down by mass movement.  Contrary
to his posturing, Yaya is a coward and will run away as things heat up.
Well, he has to pass through Senegal, and so we would have informed Senegal
to look out for the Raccoon.  So, this scenario will net us an ultimate gain
either way we look at it.

Now, let's look at what boycotting elections will do for us.  In all the
countries that the opposition boycotted their presidential elections, the
tyrants are still presiding comfortably both in and out of their countries.
Our world is full of hypocrisy and so, the international community will on
the one cheek say the election was not free and fair, but on the other cheek
are meeting with the same dictator giving him more loans, getting into all
kinds of agreements, and in the end, it's business as usual.  Guinea is the
latest example in our neck of the woods, and Russia another.

As you also recalled, the UDP boycotted the National Assembly elections,
right?  What has Gambia gained from that aside from the rubberstamp that
manifested?  The Assembly is still legislating Yaya's laws and is an
extension of the executive branch.  Is the UDP, PDOIS, NRP, PPP, or NDAM
stopping the Assembly from pushing Yaya's agenda?  How about the
international community?  Now, it would have been logical for UDP to boycott
the elections and followed that with putting pressure on the Government or
bring the masses to conduct civil disobedience to demand a free and better
Gambia.  Have they done that?  As a matter of fact, what have they done
since they prematurely helped Yaya stayed on and handed him the Assembly as
bonus?  Their leader has also been detained and harassed and they still have
not done zilch.  How many times have they even called a rally since 2001 to
address anything?  In short, they ain't saying much of anything and are not
even running a soup kitchen.  Thus, I say, the strategy does not make sense
if you are not willing to complement that strategy with mass action.

Unlike most Gambians, I will be happy if some disgruntled group in the Army
should put Yaya out of his misery.  Those that volunteer for that task
should also understand that Gambians are not going to allow them to stay
pass the parade.  They shall be recognized and will help in the reformation
of the army to allow true democracy to flourish in our nation.  In short,
the country will be handed to pure civilian rule not military turned
civilian leader.  That will be the best thing for themselves and you and I
and the future of our nation.  May some group be so inspired.  True to form,
I know some will quibble that, that is not the Gambian way, Ya da, Ya da....
  However, did we not shed our own blood without fighting for anything in
1981?  How many of our forefathers had perished in Burma and other places
for a war they to this day do not understand?  How many of your fellow
citizens and kids have Yaya killed and maimed or severely abused and
continues to do so?  Where were you when he threatened the whole nation with
"Six Feet Deep"?  So, who are we kidding about the "Gambian Way"?  The US of
all places is the bloodiest landscape any of us ever lived in.  You could be
killed by just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, whether in your
bedroom or in Beverly Hills, yet, I do not see any of us packing to leave.
Folks, taking Yaya out of his misery is an extension of democracy, just like
Hitler was pressured to kill himself, or Savimbi was killed, and countless
other brutes.  The only time we seem to notice Yaya's murderous ways is when
it hits close to home.  Then, we see all kinds of folks that were mute for
ten years all of a sudden want us to torch the whole place, for they were in
essence murdered.  Now, that I can testify, is truly "The Gambian Way" - say
nothing or do nothing until your own flesh is mowed down, then it's
emergency for all.  As long as it's on someone else's doorstep, the murderer
is not that bad.  We are our worst enemy and will knowingly go to bed with
the murderer himself if we think we can mooch for some trinket and Yaya's
trips to the US is testimony to that.  Some of those that call themselves
neutral are what populates his audience in all his trips.  I may not be on
the same side of the fence with Tombong when it comes to Jammeh, but he's
right to state that some of us that let loose on the post and L are the very
people that will be seen running the streets in Gambia, with the Jammeh
sycophants.  They will be the very ones talking about how those on the L and
post are so useless etc.  I know this does not came as a surprise to most
Gambians, if you know "The Gambian Way".

Some may wonder if it is safe for me to say these things in public.  To
that,  I say why not?  If Yaya can tell you'll he'll put you six feet deep
and you're ok with that knowing he can do just that, why should you be
afraid of Joe in Chicago, expressing his disgust at our murderer - Yaya?
Even Haruna is now convinced that I am not capable of doing harm to him.
That is, until he starts to murder our people. :-)!  Folks, the least we can
do is to be realistic about our situation and stop the endless complaining
and praying for devine intervension and finally do something.  Binneh,
thanks for being patient with this response.

Chi Jaama

Joe sambou

>From: Binneh S Minteh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: IEC Raises Hopes of Diaspora Gambians But -/Joe
>Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:28:16 -0800

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by
ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn