GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:26:39 -0500
"If you thought Yahya Jammeh deserved the ultimate punishment for murdering
our fellow citizens, once you understand the magnitude of his
economic crimes of pillage and plunger you will want to have a second go at
him as impossible as that is.The guy is a combination of Edi Amin and
Mobutu."
Karamba

Karamba, the above-quoted statement of yours is spot-on.  We tend to focus
so much on the human rights abuses of this government that at times we
ignore their other abuses.  Granted that the lives and liberty of our fellow
citizens is more important than whether Yaya steals from us to maintain a
zoo or send his wife on a shopping spree to America.  Having said that, we
must also look into these people’s ‘economic crimes’ as we catalog the
murders, abductions, torture etc.  We also have to debunk the ‘development’
myth and show the whole world that rather than feeding our people and
lifting them from poverty, the AFPRC/APRC stole the bulk of the money that
came into the country.

Karamba, the worst corruption scandal ever committed in our country was
committed by Yaya and his cohorts.  Yaya was caught with his pants down when
he instructed the Central Bank to transfer millions of dollars to his
(PRIVATE) Swiss Bank account.  Have you ever heard an AFPRC/APRC crony deny
this fact?  They just pretend as if it never happened.  But when rubber
meets road, there will be no pretending.  Because this government was so
eager to recover three million dollars from Ebou Jallow, they made
concessions in open court that tracked the money from the Central Bank of
The Gambia to Yaya’s bank account.  They CANNOT ‘unring’ that bell.  Whereas
in Jawara’s case Yaya and his Commissions of Inquiries were dealing with
rumors and innuendoes, with the morons running our country, one has hard
evidence showing their corruption.

Just going by their ridiculous formula to nail the PPP gang, one can nail
the whole AFPRC/APRC outfit.  When they took over, they would just look at
people’s assets and say that you must be corrupt or else you can’t possibly
amass that kind of ‘wealth’.  ‘How did you build your house in Fajara?  That
was the AFPRC mantra.  Well, how did they build their houses and their zoos?
  How do they send their wives to America to have babies?  How do they pay
for their children’s school fees in private schools in the country?  But, we
need NOT use this ‘hateful’ formula.  These people left a lot of evidence
behind them to show the whole world that they are CORRUPT.  We need NOT have
an ‘Asset Evaluation’.  That is putting the cart before the horse.  First,
we have to prove that something was stolen before we look at people’s
assets.  We have blatant evidence showing that these people stole from us.
Just take the torching of the government ministry right before the
presidential election.  Did you hear anything about that?  Did the NIA
investigate that?  What happened to the million dalasis that got burnt in
the ‘arson’?  Has Yankuba Touray ever been interrogated for that crime?
These people are nothing but a bunch of common criminals.
KB