GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 07:52:32 +0000
Honestly, the president should have better things to do than to be
campaigning to win another sit in parliament, after all he has the mandate
with a clear majority. One would have expected that with so many pressing
issues to address he would be focused on the fundamentals, but unfortunately
it is becoming increasingly apparent that he is pursuing an agenda to make
the country a de-facto one party state.

With so many resolved Gambians both at home and abroad this will be opposed
tooth and nail. To exploit the ignorance of the people is the limit of
political opportunism. I hope those who are objective enough and work
closely with Jammeh will advice against such a notorious agenda, it is an
agenda that if allowed to materialise will only create problems for the
people. This effectively would give the APRC a free hand to do as they wish.
They would be in a position to manipulate and change the rules of the game
willy-nilly and I cannot forsee how that would serve the intrest of the
Gambian people, if anything it would retard the evolution of our young
democracy, that we are all trying to nurture to have a more representative
forum.

The consequencies of such autocratic schemes have far reaching ramifications
beyond the confines of our terretorial inergrity. After all we live in a
global village in which there are many intrest groups, so the attempt to
subvert the efforts to create a greater democracy will certainly attract a
lot of interest from many quarters and it will not be amusing to democrats
around the world if Gambia boast of having a monopoly parliament, a
parliament in which things can just be rolled through without even the
courtesy to tell the opposition.

I think it is enough for the rhetoric, we have been lectured by some NAM
that this was going to be a parliament with a difference, if that is the
case it better be a difference with good intentions. People are now tired of
listening to sweet talk with no concrete delivery, it is not suffice to make
beautiful catch phrases only to undermine people's power from behind. It
should be noted that there are many people albeit not in the ASSEMBLY, they
are opening their eyes and ears to what is being crafted in the house and
anything untoward would be sounded to alert the world. Gambia is heading
towards a direction where people must not wink for this regime has a
tendency to baffle people using pan african and revolutionary rhetoric.  We
must join hands and effort to ensure that A ONE PARTY STATE DOES NOT COME TO
EXIST.

I hope all those functionaires, instead of going on a campaign trail will
get back to work and serve the nation.