GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 12:49:35 +0100
********************************
The perspectives of the Israeli war of ehnic cleansing
of the Palestinians and how a young man who is invloved
in the freedom struggle sees him and brother/sisters-arms
stance against that war.
As an addendum to his very correct argument that the Koran says 'He who commits
aggression against you, you may commit aggression against him in the same
manner.',  here are some more evidence of that in various verses of the Koran

Sūrah ash Shura 42.39
And those who, when an oppressive wrong is inflicted on them, (are not cowed
but) help and defend themselves.

Sūrah ash Shura 42.41-42
But indeed if any do help and defend themselves after a wrong (done) to them,
against such there is no cause of blame.
The blame is only against those who oppress by wrongdoing and insolently
transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such
there will be a penalty grievous

Sūrah an Nisa' 4.135
"O ye who believe!  Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even
as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be
(against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts
(of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do
justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do."

Sūrah Baqarah 2.190
And fight in God’s cause against those who wage war against you, but do not
commit aggression – for verily God does not love aggressors.

Sūrah Baqarah 2.191
And slay them wherever you may come upon them, and drive them away from
wherever they drove you away – for oppression is even worse than killing.

Sūrah Baqarah 2.193
Hence fight against them until there is no more oppression and all worship is
devoted to God alone, but if they desist, then all hostility shall cease, save
against those who willfully do wrong.

Sūrah Baqarah 2.217
Oppression is worse than killing

Ahadith

"Support your brother when he commits or suffers injustice".  A man asked the
Prophet (pbuh): "Messenger of God, I understand that I should support him when
he suffers injustice.  How do I support him when he is the committer of
injustice?"  The Prophet (pbuh) answered:  "You prevent him from doing
injustice.  That is the best support you give to him".

"There shall be no infliction of harm on oneself or others"

On the authority of Abu Saeed Al-Khurdari, who said: I heard the messenger of
Allah say: "Whosoever of you sees an evil action, let him change it with his
hand; and if he is not able to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is not
able to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest of faith."
(Muslim)

Note: fighting against abuse is not limited to nations and enemies, this
includes domestic violence.  'Zulm' = abuse, and Islam demands muslims fight
against abuse.

Regards
Manneh
********************************

Abu al-Abed
Palestinian militant

Abu al-Abed is a member of the Izzedine al-Qasim Brigade, the Military wing of
Hamas. He is 24-years-old and has lived in Gaza all his life.

Every human being who has his land invaded, all he possesses taken and his
rights denied has a right to resist. He has a right to do this by any means he
has. The military operations we undertake do not lead immediately to the
freedom of Palestinians, but are a step in that direction.

I support the suicide operations inside Israel. We never initiate the violence.
Our operations are always in response to a particular crime committed against
us.

If I am called upon to conduct such an operation, like many others, I will not
hesitate. There are so many examples of this. Recently children have taken up
such operations. They were 13 or 14-year-olds. They attacked the Netzarim
settlement and became martyrs during the operation. They bought knives with
their own money and they went. This is proof that I am not alone in this.

My family support me in this. Let me make this clear. We are more ready to
accept death than the life we lead. And this goes for all Palestinians. We have
no security. The word 'suicide' is not important. We do not see it as suicide.
It is resistance.

 We fought and resisted to get back our land for seven years during the first
intifada. Then the Oslo process came along which we gave a chance, but it gave
us nothing. We will not go back to Oslo, only for Israel to invade our land
again in a matter of hours. This is a war of liberation, and it is a war to the
end.

What I mean by saying we seek death more than we seek this life is that
everything we do is an attempt to achieve happiness and peace in our land and
to regain control over our holy places.

The Palestinians do not want a civil war between us and the Palestinian
Authority, but we will not go back to how it was before the intifada – 1,800
martyrs have not died to just go back to where we were. Before the intifada
Israel did not observe any of the agreements it had signed with us. Things must
move forward to our liberation. Without that there is no solution.

Of the Palestinians who do not support these operations I say what has helped
you? Peace? We tried the peace process for seven years without gaining
anything.

Israeli society is a militarised society, not a civilian one. From a very young
age, 12 or 13-years-old they start the military training. At the age of 17 they
go into the army. This is for both men and women. People say that we are
killing Israeli civilians, and I respond that there are Palestinian children
being killed while trying to get food for their families or going to school.
The Koran says 'He who commits aggression against you, you may commit
aggression against him in the same manner.' So this is our right. We respond in
kind.

Resistance can take several forms - armed struggle, rockets, mortars, suicide
bombings, martyrdom attacks. We use all the means we have in response to
Israel's military strength.

 The purely military measure is not the only measure of strength. Look at what
happened in Lebanon. Even in Vietnam, by purely military measures, the US army
should have won overwhelmingly, but in the end the Vietnamese achieved their
aims.

Our military operations, in the first intifada, created a pressure on Israel
and drove it to recognise the PLO and to the Oslo process. Our current
operations have not achieved as much yet, but we can see that Israeli society
is afraid, and more than a million Israelis have left the country. These are
achievements, and if we continue on this path Israel will fall soon.

If you had your house invaded and the invaders moved into your house, would you
accept anything less than removing them from your home? We will not accept the
creation of two states in Palestine, because Palestine is ours. If they had
bought this land, they would have a right to it, but they took it.

There can be no such thing as an Israeli state, it is a Palestinian state and
our rights must be, and will be, granted. Maybe not in this generation, or to
the next or to the one after that, but in the end we will get our rights
completely.

We would accept a transitional agreement or initiative under which there is a
ceasefire between us and an Israeli entity, but we do not accept a two state
solution as the basis for lasting peace. As a combatant, I would accept a
ceasefire in return for Israel giving up Gaza, the West Bank and East
Jerusalem, but we can never recognise the state of Israel.