GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:57:27 -0400
Did we need a press statement from the APRC-controlled IEC to know that we
would not be allowed to vote? Months ago, I said that Roberts gave himself
wriggle room to come back and tell us that IEC does not have enough money to
register Gambians living abroad. Like I keep saying, one does not have to be
a clairvoyant to anticipate the moves of these morons.

I knew Roberts was lying when he said that they wanted to register people in
the Diaspora. Roberts was just singing to the tune of Sedat Jobe. At the
onset I told people that the reason Roberts brought the matter up was that
Sedat Jobe went to Senegal and promised APRC supporters that they would be
allowed to vote in the elections. Now let us watch Roberts and see if they
are going to selectively register certain Gambians living abroad. Now that
they have succeeded in unlawfully registering the Gambians and non-Gambians
living in Senegal, that are sympathetic to APRC, the IEC cares less if the
rest of the Diaspora is registered. Rather than re-registering the whole
Gambian electorate, the IEC should have used some of its meager resources to
register the Diaspora. The local re-registration exercise should have been
limited to people without valid voters' cards from previous elections. But
we all know that the IEC is not motivated by economics and commonsense. All
the IEC is interested in, is 'electing' Yaya by hook or by crook. He must
fight to ensure that that does not happen.
KB