GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:44:46 +0000
Brother Joe,
If my memory serves me right, somebody i can't recall exactly who, tried to
legitimise the possible sources of Jammeh's wealth on this forum. The person
made many citations even the annual returns that Jammeh could derived from
his Kanilai farm but at the end of that exercise, even that person must have
been convinced that his calculation did not add up to what the president
already have in terms of wealth. Jammeh is only filthy rich through filthy
acts; that is the bottom line. He did not earn it from Allah's world bank
even if he has access to it. Therefore he must have stolen it. The president
once even publicly boasted that not even his grandkids will experience
poverty. We all know that his reason for such a defiance is because he has
amassed a massive 'hallabah' and is convinced that he has already escaped
public scrutiny.
In my view, Mobutu Seseseko is more sincere, honest and less corrupt than
Yahya Jammeh in that from the begining of his rule Mobutu made it known that
he was accountable only to himself and the US establishment and not to his
people. But as for Yahya Jammeh, he chanted that he usurped the reigns of
power to foster accountability and transparency, does anyone need to told of
the results of that enterprise? I don't think so. The answer is apparent
from the lack of audited public accounts since 1992/93. Yet inspite of this
complete lack of accountability and transparency in the management of public
funds, the Bretton Wood institutions, the EU and other multilateral
institutions that are indirectly controlled by them are continuing to give
us grants and loans, 25% of which would be towards fees for foreign and
local consultants; 25% towards seminars, conferences, workshops and
administrative fees and 20% will be systematically siphoned away by the
politicians and their bureaucratic slaves with the full knowledge of the
'donors'. The balance of 35% will not be invested in productive activities,
instead a suspense account will be created for it and state officials would
go to the villages in their air-conditioned vehicles and kill them with talk
and never-fulfilled promises or threats and insults or at their best will
construct buildings mostly without the requisite facilities and call them
schools or hospitals. At the end, our leaders will hire external evaluators
of their choice who would produce endless impact assessment reports that
does not reflect any reality whatsoever, meanwhile poverty grows yet they
contend that our countries are developing. This is the modern form of
slavery that the IMF and the World Bank implement against us and more so
future generations with the connivance of our parasitic leaders. The Gambia
belongs to us only in theory but in reality the country has been effectively
mortgaged or sold to the Western world.
Someday if we can't keep up with the payment of the interest on the loans
that our leaders continue to borrow in our name and squander, we should not
be surprised to see in our waters warships painted IMF or the World Bank to
catch fishes to compensate for our debt defaults and even dictate to us how
much our share would be from the sea food obtained from the River Gambia.
Finally our leaders attire themselves in their fancy suits or 'warambos' to
attend the next donors and beggars conference to secure more funds to
misappropriate or as Jammeh would, dress in his Almoravid headgear and robes
and say to the Arabs: "I am a moslem, i have even built a mosque in my State
compound, Like you i hate the West because they support Israel to defeat
you. They have as a result sanctioned my people who are on the verge of
starvation", As if about to cry, he pleads for 'zakat' on behalf of Gambians
and receive millions of $ as a result of his acting,which he would......
What a conman!

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!

BMK