GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:01:26 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/01 8:57:46 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> << Yus, i totally i'm in sync with you on this one. This forum seem to be one
> specifically created for the opposition, mainly the UDP, and any such ideas
> or suggestion that are not in line with their way of thinking is
> hypocritical, moronic, silly, nonsensical, you name it. Fact is, all ideas
> should be pooled together with the intent of making sense and using those
> that by design will enable us be better people collectively. But not on this
> forum. That is simply too much to ask for. *Talk about seizing liberties*.
> Good morrow to you and keep thinking.
> Harona. >>

????!!!  "Seizing liberties"? How does one "seize liberties" in an e-mail
forum where none gets to see the other whilst they are sending in their
views? I thought that each is here on his own volition; and none has the
final say as to who says what and what gets to be discussed here. I thought
the leeway i.e, dictatorial tendencies in silencing others of different
view-points - some of you ascribe to certain members who are constantly
contributing - is a privilege only the List "Management" enjoys??? Certainly,
if the List "Management" wants a view-point muzzled they have it in them to
see to it; they can easily delist those members whose positions they cannot
stand. How on earth then can subscribers that don't belong to this elite
group "seize liberties" vis-a-vis in presenting dissenting views? Do they
board flights to Detroit and point guns at the head of Rone and force him to
swallow their propaganda or be another Koro Ceesay?

Rone, lets come off it; you and i know that if GRTS resembled Gambia-L a bit,
the trash-heap of mediocrity that is GRTS would be an antiquated thing. Were
one of Gambia-L's Ayatollah's appointed GRTS' MD, you can expect at least a
modicum of objectivity in that outfit. This idea that we have a group here
who the "seize liberties" of those who beg to differ with them has a very
dissembling edge to it - there is no iota truth in it.  More to the point, it
ain't nothing but a desperate measure by detractors to cast aspersion on
certain contributors they can't stand.

For the sake of decency and better future understanding, let each fight for
the ideas and corners they believe in and wish to stake out. The best ideas
will prevail; certainly that has been the experience. Respectfully
criticising views you don't agree with, but which you acknowledge others are
at liberty to hold, is not dictatorial and is to be expected of a democratic
forum. What do people want now? Nodding our heads to every bunkum expressed
herein? Gambia-L to become another trash-heap of mediocrity like GRTS? let's
come off it, Brother.

Finally, whingeing incessantly about non-existent threats only helps breed
acrimony, spiteful sniping and never-ending personality spats. I hope by
pointing out this simple truth, i haven't unwittingly "seized" your
"liberties" to believe in what you wish to believe in.

Best wishes,

Hamjatta Kanteh