GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:33:03 +0000
Mr. Sanneh,

I would like to agree with you that,  the reason for the sudden emergence of
independent candidate victories was mainly due to the fact that the APRC
cnadidates were actually the party choice as you have so eloquently pointed
out.

Wether or not the party supporters agreed to those choices was the main
factor as to which candidate would be elected ,thus demonstrating and
reaffirming a classic case that power belongs to the people.

The main issue and to some extent a major disadvantage for the APRC
candidates this time around , was that some people thought that the actual
independent candidates with the exception of Pa Sallah Jeng who has always
been an independent, should NOT have been the  actual APRC party choices
,and I quote a familiar theme from some observers on the ground  " We would
not allow candidates to be forced upon us, even if our party affiliation
with the APRC".

Besides the low voter turnout, what has happened according to some  is that
some of the INDEPENDENT candidates decided to run regardless of party
endorsement and have demonstrated that they understand their constituencies
BETTER.

My only issue is that,given that some of these independent candidates  were
APRC, I would not be surprised if they decide to rejoin their former party
again in the near futiure to reaffirm that they should ALWAYS  be the
candidates representing the party.   It is called crossing carpets or
Recrossing carpets for that matter.

In closing, I also wish PA SALLAH JENG good luck and hope that he will
continue to demonstrate the exemplary skills in every aspect of his
dealings.  Like you, he has been a good mentor to both me and the rest of
the family here in Atlanta.

We will miss seeing him  in ATLANTA. On behalf of his family here in
Atlanta, we wish him well.

Best REgards,

Ablie Njie-Lekbi