GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 00:33:48 +0000
The so-called firing spree has been on since the AFPRC cum APRC regime
assumed power on July 22nd 1994. The first phase of the spree was justified
by the regime as a necessity to purge the public service of supposedly
'corrupt and unpatriotic' elements in the 'public interest'. However, the
current phase of the firing spree that the regime is pursuing is in
fulfilment of a pledge made by the president during the election campign to
get rid of all perceived UDP supporters from the public service. In pursuit
of this stated objective, the government is not only giving the sack to
public servants suspected or confirmed to be UDP smpathisers but also those
who did not take the offer of free Jammeh T-shirts during the campaign or
fail to turn up at APRC rallies or even the victory celebrations!.
Public servants who were mostly affected by the latter two categories were
based in the provinces.
As far as the APRC leadership is concerned, public servants are nothing but
more than pawns in a game of chess. Performance-oriented-reward system from
Jammeh's perspective does not count, what counts is what the NIA (that draws
up the firing list)thinks of a particular public servant. As a result of the
NIA's malignant influence in our society, it has over the past seven years
inculcated a culture of informing and misinforming upon one another in the
public service as a means of some acquiring accelerated promotions and
supercessions over others. Civil servants who refused to play in this game
of lies and deceit are sooner rather than later given their marching orders.
The Office of the Secretary General of the Public Service, the Personnel
Management Office and the Public service Commission have been reduced to 'I
have been directed to' institutions.
Inspite of the president's contradictory pronouncements on sacking of public
servants, his government has recently fully manifested more than ever
before, the whole irrationality of the mass firings, later, some
reinstatements and thereafter, even more unjustifiable sackings. The reasons
for this hysteria of sackings have nothing to do with competence or delivery
issues, as some pro-APRC elements would want others to believe. The reasons
have been uttered from the horse's (Yahya's) mouth. The decisions are base
on maere hearsay or fabrications spun against hardworking, honest and decent
public servants by staff of the NIA or their chain of state misinformers.
From all the intents and actions of the regime, there is conclusive evidence
that the sackings are ochestrated in bad faith and not by any iota of desire
to bring about an effective Public Service. The sole rationale behind these
callous dismissals is to deprive the victims of any immediate source of
income  thereby rendering them desperate and frustrated given the number of
dependents, that they are responsible for feeding, clothing and sheltering.
Imagine the impact of a sole breadwinner with an average count of 15 direct
dependents to look after having to loose his or her job unceremoniously. All
what he or she  gets is a letter of dismissal with no reason for
dismissal,no payout or pension for a long tenure of service.It would have
been unquestionably justifiable where the cause of any public servant's
dismissal is proven corruption or incomptetence against him or her. Even if
such should be the reason, procedures to be followed are specified in the
Public Service regulations. But a government that arbitrarily flouts the
supreme laws of the land should not be expected to adhere to regulations of
any sort. What is happening to public servants in the Gambia is an
indication of the type of unjust society we are degenerating into, a society
in which the demise of the good is celebrated, in which incompetence and
sycophancy is rewarded and the industrious, honest and hardworking are
frustrated, removed, abducted or even tortured in every sense of the word.
Is this the kind of Gambia we want to encourage?
We should remember that as a result of colonial regulations, Public servants
have no unions or associations to represent or fight for their interests or
rights. So they are at the mercy of a despotic regime that the APRC
government is.The reasons why most of the Civil servants who are unjustly
sacked do not publicly complain is foremost, they know that the people know
their plight and moreover they do not wish to expose themselves and their
families to the trauma of being detained and tortured by the Notorious
Illegitimate Agency (NIA). They would rather move on.This are enough good
reasons to move on. Ultimately,this brain drain syndrome adversely affects
the level of state productivity, more than all else.

The yoke of oppression shall one day collapse!

BMK

.rom: Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>