GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:11:22 +0100
Gambia-L,

The situation in the country is occupying us. We have just seen some of your
comments and have decided to send you some of the things which had been
taking place by extracting them from FOROYAA. By tomorrow, we will be able
to give you concrete picture of what has taken place. We are still on the
ground.

THE DEATH OF EBRIMA BARRY

A Case Study

To begin with, this is a comprehensive report on Ebrima Barry's death which
I feel should be reported in  such a way as to help clarify some of the
unfounded and confusing stories relating to his death as carried out by the
Daily Observer Newspaper.

As the Information Minister of the Gambia College Students' Sub-union who
along side other GAMSU (Gambia Students' Union) officials, particularly the
vice president of the Union, Mr Alajie S. Darboe, were closely following the
result of the death of Ebrima Barry since it happened on 9 March 2000.
It is based on this that we had gathered enough information as to what had
happened since day one when violence erupted between the deceased and his
teacher at Foster's Vocational Training Centre and not the Senior Secondary
School. The former is known to many as the new site while the latter is
known as the old site (where the deceased was).

Below is a breakdown of facts of how everything went on systematically over
the whole incident:

AT THE SCHOOL

On March 13, 2000, a five person delegation from The Gambia College, on
behalf of GAMSU, visited the school where the deceased was, where we
addressed the students on matters of discipline and obedience, as well as
the role of the school administration in handling disciplinary matters and
not handing down such cases to the wrong agents in order not to repeat
another Ebrima Barry's case happening.

After which proceeding we were brought three witness statement forms from
the Brikama Police Station by one CID Officer in order to take down the
witness statements from among the deceased class mates. All the interviews
conducted with the Ebrima's class mates revealed the same story. Three were
selected. Thus, one of the witnesses stated that:

"It was on Tuesday, March 7, 2000 when I and the late Ebrima were sitting
together on the same bench at the back of the class when Mr Paul, the
Commerce Teacher, entered the class and instructed us to get seated in-front
of the class, which we did. But upon doing so, Ebrima was still instructed
to change position to another seat where the sun rays have their reflection.
Ebrima insisted on not going to that particular seat and complained of the
sun rays reflecting there.

"Meanwhile, a heated debate erupted between Ebrima and the teacher which
later resulted to the teacher scolding Ebrima. When Ebrima also scolded
back, he quickly gave the teacher a hard punch on the face; thus a fight
broke out. Then they were separated and Ebrima came back attacking and
insulting. He was then calmed down and he went home.

"Subsequently, the following day Ebrima was in class when Adjhao, the Senior
Master, went to report the matter to the Fire Station from where he appeared
with a Fire Officer before the class and went away with Ebrima...."

THE SENIOR TEACHER WHO REPORTED THE MATTER TO THE FIRE STATION

Mr Adjhao is the senior teacher responsible for the school. He confirmed
that he did report the matter to the Fire Station, but with the intention
that the officer will only witness the handing down of a suspension letter
to Ebrima and escort him out of the school premises and nothing more than
that.

He further attested that Ebrima came back to the school that very day with
the father, the Fire Officer and another old man in a bid to plead on behalf
of Ebrima. He said I accepted their apology and assured the father that
Ebrima could now come to school after the Tobaski prayer. "This was the last
time when I last saw Ebrima until on Thursday when I heard of his death",
remarked the sobbing and regretful senior master.

MISS CAMARA - EBRIMA'S CLASS TEACHER

Miss Camara, what can you say about Ebrima?

Miss Camara: "Well, Ebrima was an average student, but could have been more
than that if he always applied himself. Above all, Ebrima was very watchful
in class and did actively take part in class discussions but at time he
would just listen rather than participate. Ebrima is also very regular in
school", concluded the saddened and sympathetic looking class teacher.

THE DECEASED FATHER - ALIEU BARRY

On that same day, we visited the deceased's father by the name Alieu Barry
and he had this to say:-

The deceased's father swore sternly in order to authenticate what he knew
about the sad story he narrated before us. "I will not say what I do not
know about this incident, nor will I exaggerate the story on that ground
that they killed my son".

"I was never aware of Ebrima having such a problem at the school with his
teacher. I only came to know about this on Wednesday, March 8 at the market
when he Ebrima and a Fire Officer appeared before me. I was then told by the
Fire Officer to go along with them to the Fire Station upon the orders of
his boss. Upon arrival, I was told that my son had no discipline; that he
fought with his teachers and therefore was suspended from school. Then I
said to the Fire Officer to escort me back to the school to plead with the
master concerned over the issue.

"In school, I pleaded and apologised on Ebrima's behalf for him to be
forgiven of which I succeeded in doing at the end and I was assured that he
would be accepted back in school, but only after the Tobaski prayer.

"However, I went back to the Fire Station to put to them that I had now
settled the matter with the senior master. But surprisingly,I was told that
Ebrima had to stay with them and be disciplined. "In fact, we will shave his
hair without putting water", one among them remarked, said the father. So, I
thought may be they were only threatening him in order for him not to
misbehave in school any more. Thus I left Ebrima with them and went to the
market.

"Later in the evening, on the same day, I reached home only to be informed
that Ebrima was reported to have been in the Brikama Health Centre where it
was claimed that he would not be attended to by a nurse without me being
present. So off I quickly went to the Health Centre and found Ebrima bending
over the stomach complaining of severe general body pain. He was then
prescribed medication and asked to report the following day.

"Throughout the night, he could not sleep. He had a sleepless night. And
during that night, I asked Ebrima what went wrong. "I was beaten
mercilessly, shaved and water poured on me"."

I enquired from Ebrima's father whether he was given cement to eat and carry
bags of cement from one place to the other, as alleged, but the father
denied of such happening to him.

"The following morning, Thursday 9 March, I left for the market. But upon
arrival at the market, I was told to go back home because Ebrima's condition
had aggravated. On my way back home, I met an escorting vehicle on the way
taking Ebrima to the Health Centre and they stopped me. Upon getting into
the vehicle, I found Ebrima lying dead, but did not disclose it to the
people there. Quietly, we arrived at the Health Centre where the doctor
performed a test on him after which Ebrima was declared dead. Thus the dead
body was referred to the RVH for post-mortem.

AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL -  Their Reaction

Upon hearing the news, we all felt bad about it. The tragedy was like a sad
and shocking state of affair that lured the bodies of the entire students.
We were all sympathetic over the death of a colleague and we felt that as a
family immediate and quick action needed to be taken against those
responsible for this barbaric and inhumane act. "They must be brought to
justice, for justice knows neither citizen nor policeman and justice delayed
is justice denied totally", remarked one student.

Apparently, we knew that investigations were on but we also knew for certain
that no arrest in connection with the death had been effected, which really
frustrated and got into our nerves.

Also, we did perceive that the word justice is one of the misused words in
our day which is battered beyond recognition, distorted and mutilated and
above all justice at times as applied in our midst is ridiculed by members
of the law enforcement agents.

Thus, all these factors put together prompted and warranted us, as a family,
to cry out louder for justice to prevail and to take to the streets of
Brikama way down to the Commissioner's Office peacefully in our large
numbers on Wednesday, March 22.

This was also in line with the raping of a 13-year old school girl from
Brikamaba Junior Secondary School who represented her school in the
Inter-Schools Sports Competition two weeks ago by an unknown paramilitary
officer.

During the march, we went as a body to extend our condolence to the bereaved
family and on our way back to the College, we had an ordeal with the Brikama
Fire and Ambulance Service men where they (the officers) started the stoning
which later turned to raining down of stones from both ends and in the
process one of the fire ambulances' windscreen was smashed to pieces.

Soon after this encounter we (the students) had a closed door meeting in the
Principal's Office which was filled with a high powered delegation from the
Department of State for Education. Among them was the Permanent Secretary
and some security personnel from almost all its branches. They included
Landing Badjie (13 Badjie) - the Commander of the Serious Crime Unit;
intelligence officers from the President's Office; police detectives and CID
personnel; the Commissioner, Western Division; the Chief of Kombo Central
and the Principal Education Officer for Region 2.

During the meeting, 13 Badjie said "I do not blame you (the students) much
since you should have been informed of the latest development as to how far
we have gone into the issue, and I am not here to tell you sweet words but
the hard fact and not because the situation at hand is  tense."

We were advised and assured of justice taking its right course.

Besides, I was given a copy of the post-mortem (autopsy) report that proves
beyond all reasonable doubt that the post-mortem report is not empty as
allegedly reported by Pa Nderry Mbai of the Daily Observer. It evidently
shows signs of torture of the deceased.
Attached is a photocopy of the autopsy report.

"On the instructions of the Coroner of BRIKAMA the undersigned on this day
carried out a Post-Mortem examination within the mortuary of this
institution on the body of EBRIMA BARRY which was identified in my presence
by the following persons:
"1. Saikou Barry - uncle of Brikama Perseverance;
"2. Kebba Barry - Brother of Brikama Perseverance.
"Present at the identification was 1ST CC 448 KALILU BOJANG - BRIKAMA POLICE
STATION.
"My findings are as follows:-

"EXTERNAL EXAMINATION
"The body is that of an average build African male of 25 years. It is well
preserved and well nourished. No trace and evidence of beat in the external
examination were found.

"INTERNAL EXAMINATION
"At the opening the thoracic cavity any abnormalities of the heart vessel
greats and mediastinum were found. All the structures were found in the
normal anatomic position.
"Into the trachea and bronchial lumen were found aereate secretion. In the
inspection and examination of the lungs were found that both were increased
in size and weight and edema were present. The right lung showed a bigger
area of the infarct located in the middle lobe and in the base with severe
harmorrhage necrosis.

"ABDOMINAL CAVITY
"LIVER - Increased in size and weight with fatty liver appearance.
"SPLEEN - Normal
"PANCREAS - Normal
"INTESTINE - Normal
"KIDNEYS - Normal
"REST - Normal.

"CRANIAL CAVITIES
"The scalp is normal, all the skull bones are normal. No fracture are seen.
The suture line of skull were very carefully examined. The brain was normal
only showed mild edema and congestion. No abnormalities that has
relationship with trauma was found.

"CONCLUSIONS
"CAUSE OF DEATH-
"Infarct of the right lung located in the middle lobe and base with severe
harmorrhagic necrosis. Severe edema of both lungs.

"Acute respiratory insufficience
"Hepatic estaetosis

"Note: Any relationshiped lesion with trauma and beat were found in the
autopsy and in the post-mortem examination. It called attention the lung
finding in the post-mortem examination.

"DR RAFAEL RIZO
"HISTOPATHOLOGIST
"RVH."

13 March 2000.

Secretary of State for Education,
Department of State for Education,
Bedford Place Building,
BANJUL.

DISCIPLINE IN SCHOOLS - On The Death Of Ebrima Barry

Events of far-reaching significance for the educational system in the
country has compelled us to address this letter to you.

It has been reported by Ebrima Barry's mother that before he died he claimed
that three officers of the Fire and Ambulance Services Department arrested
him and forced him to arrange over forty bags of cement. He was then
undressed and water was allegedly poured on him.

According to the mother, the child was flogged, kicked and hit on the head
after his hair was shaved. Cement is said to have been poured on his head
and  put in his mouth.

How a school boy who is accused of infringing school rules or proper conduct
could find himself in the hands of officers of a Fire and Ambulance Services
Department raises fundamental questions. It signifies that coercion is
increasingly being resorted to as a means of dealing with problems of school
children.

The cruel and inhumane punishment which Ebrima has been allegedly subjected
to constitutes a gross violation of Section 21 of the Constitution which
states in no uncertain terms that no person shall be subjected to torture or
inhuman or degrading punishment or other treatment.

It goes without saying that section 19 of the Constitution asserts that
"Every person shall have the right to liberty and security of person. No one
shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprive
d of his or her liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such
procedures as are established by law."

It is very clear from the information received that Ebrima was deprived of
liberty unlawfully and arbitrarily. He was not held in detention in
conformity with any law. He was deprived of liberty, but was not treated
with humanity and respect for his inherent dignity as a human person.

To make a school boy to  arrange over forty bags of cement, shave his head
and flog him constitute torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment.

What led the Fire officers to partake in such a brutal exercise? Is it
because of the fact that the school system has found it convenient to
involve officers, as alleged, in ensuring discipline in schools?

The reports we have received from both the father of the young man and the
school indicate that the officers were initially asked to intervene to try
to calm tension between the child and a teacher. This issue is, therefore,
not a simple question of brutality from members of a security force. It
reflects a tendency to give more weight to coercion than counselling in
ensuring discipline within the school system.

How discipline is to be enforced in the school system is a matter that
requires urgent attention.

School administrators are increasingly resorting to suspensions, transfers
and coercion, as we have seen in Ebrima's case, to address  problems
associated with challenges to authority in the school system.

All these methods reflect a tendency towards disowning the child instead of
accepting responsibility for his or her integration into normal school life.

In our view, a healthy society is one where people are imbued with a sense
of belonging. We all know that young people who are seen as the worst
delinquents do go abroad in search of greener pastures and do not hesitate
to send the bulk of their earnings to eradicate the poverty of their parents
when they do succeed. Many are determined to suffer just so that their
parents would be free from suffering.

This clearly shows that when people are truly imbued with a sense of
belonging, they are, in most cases, willing to sacrifice to ensure that
those whom they are a part of do not suffer unnecessarily.

If we are to build a healthy society, it means that families,
neighbourhoods, schools, children and youth associations and the State must
create environments which children will be proud to belong to. The more we
create a society where families, neighbourhood, schools disown children,
social exclusion will become the order of the day.

When people are deprived of a sense of belonging; when they no longer feel
that others care for them, they also must become care free. When others do
not want to spend time to show them that they are concerned; that they
matter; that they are willing to invest in them so that they become their
best selves; they also become callous, defiant and indifferent. Every
attempt to use force or coercion to ensure conformity leads to greater
inconformity and deviance. The ultimate result is to propagate rebellious
tendencies within families, neighbourhoods and schools.

It is, therefore, absolutely essential to see that the discipline through
canes is the discipline of the donkey. Coercion may break the will of a
donkey and make it to live as the master wills. Coercion enrages a human
being and makes him or her rebellious. He or she may conform just for
sometime, but ultimately the end result is always social disorder.

What is essential is to understand that a family, a neighbourhood, a school
system which promotes a greater sense of belonging tends to have greater
influence in shaping the behaviour of its members. Its members are keen in
accepting sanctions in order not to be excluded from such a precious
company. This is the direction towards which educational institutions should
move. Schools are promoters of a way of life, that is, if those who manage
them are motivated by a sense of purpose and direction.

There is, therefore, need for the educational institutions to be given a
re-orientation so that the problems which have surfaced in Brikama will be
effaced for good. Those who may have thought that they were disciplining
Ebrima were doing so under misconceived notions of how to help a child to
develop. What they may have been trying to do was to break his will to
resist so that he may conform. Where that conformity is resisted, more force
is applied. The end result is always incalculable. It is realised only when
the undesirable happens.

What is essential now is to draw fundamental lessons from the development so
as to avert a reoccurrence. We would like to suggest the convening of a
national conference of  headmasters, principals and other senior
administrators as soon as possible to discuss democratic administration of
schools. How to manage institutions without risking such incidents is of
fundamental urgency.

We hope your Department of State will facilitate such discourse which should
go on and on at all levels in the education system and the community, at
large, so that the school system will continue to influence the emergence of
a Gambian man and woman with a great sense of belonging and responsibility
for the community, and serving the greater good in the interest of all.

Halifa Sallah
For: The Editorial Board.

THE PHASING OUT OF FORSTER'S TWO GRADE 10 CLASSES

On Monday, 27 March 2000, a delegation from the Department of State for
Education, led by the Permanent Secretary, Dr Saidou Jallow, held a meeting
at the Regional Education Office in Brikama with the proprietor of Forster's
Skill Centre, Junior and Senior Secondary Schools, Mr William Forster; the
Regional Education Officer, Mr Kakai Sanyang; the Commissioner, Western
Division, Mr Kebba Ceesay; the Chief of Central Kombo, Mr Bakary Santang
Bojang; the Officer Commanding Western Division; Student leaders from GAMSU
and The Gambia College and parents/guardians.

The delegation from the Department of State for Education included Mr
Baboucarr Bouy, Director of Planning and Mr Pap Sey, Director of Basic
Education.

The objective of the meeting was to discuss matters relating to the
immediate phasing out of the two grade 10 classes at Forster's Junior
Secondary School.

In his opening remarks, the Permanent Secretary said that at the beginning
of the academic year, Mr William Forster was cautioned not to enrol any
students to grade 10 in his secondary school because he did not fulfil the
educational requirements and criteria to continue operating a senior
secondary school in accordance with the Education Act of The Gambia.

He further indicated that according to findings from the School Inspectorate
Unit, Mr Forster went ahead and registered two grade 10 classes under the
name of a skill centre known as Brikama Technical Training Centre (BTTC).

According to Dr Jallow, findings also revealed that these classes were using
the same outline and specified government grade 10 syllabus, which he said
is not similar in any way to that of the syllabus of any skilled centre;
that this is a clear manifestation, which also clears all doubts, that what
Mr Forster is claiming is untrue and unfounded.

The Permanent Secretary further cited provisions in the laws of The Gambia
which give the Secretary of State mandate to allow or disallow anybody
wanting to operate a school, be it nursery, primary, junior or senior
secondary school, but upon conditions that the said person in question has
fulfilled all requirements, terms and conditions deemed necessary by the
authorities of the Department.

Dr Jallow went on to say that "it is the same Education Act that mandated
the Secretary of State for Education to announce or effect the closure of
any such school found to be non-fulfilling the specified terms and
conditions laid by the Department.

"Thus, here today, this led or warrant us to conclude that these two grade
10 classes under discussion, said and known to be under Forster's Senior
Secondary School be transferred to Mindaw Junior Secondary School and will
be continued there as normal grade 10 classes under any government senior
secondary school with effect from Monday 3 April 2000".

Dr Jallow urged all parents, guardians and students affected by this change
to abide by what the Department of State for Education is asking them to do
in order to avoid another Ebrima Barry history repeating itself at Forster'
s.

A parent asked the type of uniforms the students will wear. It was made to
him that the students shall continue to wear the uniforms they wore when at
Forster's. It was also indicated by the education authorities that teachers
will be provided to teach the students.

Another parent was also concerned about the mode of payment of school fees.
The Permanent Secretary assured him that it is the same trend that is to
follow suit regarding the manner and mode of payment of school fees.

He made it clear that those students who had paid fees for the first and
second terms will only pay third term and those who paid only one term will
need to pay the rest.

Dr Jallow further clarified that those continuing grades 8 and 9 within
Forster's Junior Secondary School and the grades 11 and 12 in the senior
secondary school are not affected in any way by this current change. Thus,
the aforementioned grades will continue to operate under the name of both
the junior and senior secondary schools without any disruption whatsoever in
the education of those students until at such a time when these grades will
phase out completely.

By Lamin Jobe, Minister of Information, Gambia College.

10 April, 2000.

Secretary of State for The Interior,
Department of State for The Interior,
BANJUL.

GAMSU AND THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE FOR THE INTERIOR

A Collision Course Or Dialogue?

Sentiments do grip a person when confronted with situations that students
have been confronted with upon learning the death of Ebrima Barry and the ra
ping of the school girl, Binta Manneh.

When a vacuum is left by inaction after such developments, emotional
reactions are usually the price of such inaction.

Suffice it to say, it is the duty of those who manage State affairs to be
the ultimate protectors of the rights and vital interests of the people. It
is their duty to accord speedy justice in order not to be seen to condone
injustice.

The Department of State for the Interior is said to have issued a press
release indicating that action has been taken to arrest and detain those who
are alleged to have tortured Ebrima Barry to death; that the files have been
handed over to the Attorney General's Chambers for action.

The message, however, lamented that GAMSU still intends to hold a
demonstration and warnings were issued that the security forces would not
allow any break down in law and order.

This gives the impression that GAMSU and the Department of State for the
Interior are on a collision course. It is, therefore, necessary for the rest
of us not to twiddle our thumbs while the bush fire is being set alight.

This letter springs from our cognition of a sense of duty in promoting the
defence of rights, as well as the legitimate exercise of duties of both
State functionaries and the sovereign people of The Gambia.

The contradiction between GAMSU and the Department of State for the interior
is not a complex one. The Department of State for the Interior is a
government department. GAMSU is a civil society organisation. The Department
of State for the Interior is established under the Constitution to provide
services to the Gambian people. It has the responsibility to display a high
degree of honesty, fairness and impartiality in its dealings with members of
the public.

As a Department of State, it is required under section 216 of the
Constitution "to secure and promote a society founded on the principles of
freedom, equality, justice, tolerance, probity and accountability."

This is due to the fact that Departments of State are public institutions,
and as organs of the government they are bound by section 1 of the
constitution which asserts that "the Sovereignty of The Gambia resides in
the people of the Gambia from whom all organs of government derive their
authority and in whose name and for whose welfare and prosperity the powers
of government are to be exercised."

This should be very instructive to every Secretary of State. It should
inculcate a sense of understanding that a Department of State is just an
instrument for rendering service to the sovereign people of The Gambia, and
Secretaries of State should always put the interest of the people at the
forefront in making any decisions. When this approach is taken, power will
never be exercised for its sake. It will be exercised for the sake of the
people.

So far the Department of State for the Interior has been collaborating with
the students to ensure that the alleged cases of murder and rape are
thoroughly investigated. What is now in question is the expression by the
students that they will hold a demonstration after the Department of State
feels that it has done all within its possibilities to see to it that the
grievances of the students are addressed.

Apparently, the press release seems to imply that the students are becoming
unreasonable for calling for a demonstration even after certain guarantees
are given. This raises questions regarding the culture of right. Where does
the exercise of rights start and end is a fundamental question of
governance.

Governance is, in deed, the art of predicting probabilities, identifying
priorities and making options that can enlarge the freedoms and welfare of
the people. It constitutes the lawful exercise of responsibility with the
objective of creating possibilities to solve problems. The objective of the
action of every State official is not to enlarge problems, but to minimise
and even ameliorate them. This should be the objective of the Department of
State for the Interior.

If the Department of State for the Interior is to have the desired impact,
it must not weigh the actions of the students against what it deems to be
reasonable. What it should do is to weigh whether the actions are reasonably
justifiable in a democratic society. If this yardstick is established, one
would be able to promote dialogue. One would be able to know where actions
threaten to exceed the bounds to the legitimate exercise of rights and
infringes on the rights of others. Instead of issuing threats, one would be
issuing advice that would serve as food for thought.

Suffice it to say that the students are learning from the school of life. It
is through such developments that they come to understand how citizens
exercise their rights, what constitutes the legitimate exercise of rights
and what constitutes the infringement of the justifiable and democratic
bounds established for the exercise of such rights. A democratic culture is
inconceivable without according citizens the freedom to exercise what they
have rights to do even if the context is considered by others to be
unjustifiable.

In short, rights are not gifts. They are possessions. They belong to those
who take ownership of them. It is not for others to bar the legitimate
exercise of rights, but to convince those who wish to exercise them of the
futility of exercising them to achieve a purpose which has already been
served if one is of such an opinion. It is more judicious to protect the
exercise of rights even if the officials of the State consider it to be
unnecessary, as long as those who willed it to be exercised are resolved to
exercise it. This is how matters stand with GAMSU.

Section 25, subsection (1) (d) of the Constitution asserts that "Every
person shall have the right to:-
"freedom to assembly and demonstrate peaceably and without arms."

Subsection (f) adds that "Every person shall have the right to freedom to
petition the executive for redress of grievances and to resort to the courts
for the protection of his or her rights."

It is, therefore, a constitutional right to address a petition to the
executive as well as to demonstrate peaceably without arms.

The Public Order Act, therefore, has to be read in conjunction with the
supreme law of the land. What is required of the students, if they are to
engage in any procession, under section 5 is to make an application for a
licence defining the conditions on which the procession is to take place.
Needless to say, those who receive such licences to hold a procession are
obliged to do so peaceably and not destroy any private or public property.

In this light, it is the duty of the Department of State for the Interior to
guide the students to have their demonstration legally by abiding by the
provisions of the law and even safeguard them to go to the places they want
to go, submit the petitions they want to submit and disperse peaceably.

It is the duty of the students to teach each other how to conduct themselves
in such a way that the rest of society will give them confidence and respect
by displaying conduct that is reasonable and justifiable in a democratic
society. If students can act in unison with maturity and respect for the
rights of others, one would be fair to conclude that a new culture of rights
has emerged where people do not only become self-centred but are concerned
when the rights of their fellow citizens are violated. If such social
conscience and social action which will inject consciousness of the
implications of violating the rights of others. This can serve as a check
for each citizen to temper his or her action with the hammer of justice
before perpetrating any action against others. Justice becomes instituted
when the vast majority of people refuse to tolerate acts of injustice.

It is not demonstration which constitutes a threat to security. Security can
only be threatened if demonstrators go beyond the bounds of what is
reasonable and justifiable in a democratic society.

When people are not obstructed from exercising their rights, the burden of
exercising it responsibly shifts to them. However, when the State bars the
lawful exercise of rights, the expression of frustration which may threaten
national security becomes its responsibility.

The point of convergence, therefore, which accords with justice is for the
State not to bar the legitimate exercise of rights and instead counsel for
precisely such an expression in a reasonable and democratic way. This is the
way to avoid a coalition course between GAMSU and the Department of State
for the Interior. We hope the Department of State for the Interior will give
regard to the conceptions inherent in this memorandum.

Halifa Sallah
For: The Editorial Board.

Prior to the delivery of the letter, we received information that the
students were being suppressed at the GTTI to bar them from starting their
procession. We went to the scene. The details and the actions we call for
will be dispatched by tomorrow.

Halifa.