GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:44:49 EDT
Coleagues, I read the speech presented on our behalf by Dr. Isatou Njie
Saidy, Ajaratou, at the 62nd Session of the UN General Assembly. I will present
the speech in its entirety (I will omit the first 3 Paragraphs of
felicitations) interspersed with my review of it. I thank our representative at  the UN
for her participation on our behalf.

The speech is relatively long so I will review it in its paragraphs and in  a
numbered series. This therefore is the review of the 4th paragraph  and it is
numbered Review 1.

[Mr. President, The mid-term review of the Millennium Declaration two years
ago indicates that the Millennium Development Goals are far from being
attained in most of the developing world. This notwithstanding, for us in The
Gambia, our commitment to the MDGs is unwavering. The overarching policy  objective
of the government, under the leadership of his Excellency the  President of
the Republic of The Gambia Alhaji Yahya AJJ Jammeh, is to reduce  poverty and
achieve all the MGDs. We have just concluded a Second Poverty  Reduction
Strategy Paper which clearly sets out our policy framework for  achieving growth and
poverty reduction despite our meagre resources and  endowments, and despite
the failure of several partners to fulfil their pledges  of aid, debt relief,
and market access for African countries. The same mid-term  reviews showed that
the commitments that were made in many fora by the  international community
in support of the MGDs in poor countries have not  translated into real
resource flows into these countries. We therefore call on  the international
community to rededicate itself to the provisions of the  Monterey concensus, and the
Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness. In this  regard, my delegation welcomes
the panel of eminent personalities established by  former British Prime
Minister, Mr. Tony Blair, to monitor pledges made at the G8  summits including
those made at the Gleneagles Summit. My Delegation considers  it particularly
critical to take action to reverse the downward trend in  overseas development
financing.]

I sit and wonder whether there is a gap in understandings between the
developped countries and the developing countries when it comes to the UN. Or is  it
that Gambian officials have not read or did not understand the Millennium
Declaration. I had thought that my review of our speech at the UN would be on
the premise that we understand the basic elements of the subject matter.
However, our speech indicates there may be a deficit of critical information.
Therefore, I present some relevant sources of information and I encourage all my
coleagues to read these documents as we review our state:
_http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/goals.html_
(http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/goals.html)
_http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mi/pdf/MDG%20Book.pdf_
(http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mi/pdf/MDG%20Book.pdf)

In September 2000, The UN Millennium Summit took place. 189 nations
participated. 147 of those nations adopted some goals targeted to be  accomplished by
the year 2015. It was then up to those nations to devise  policies and plans
toward accomplishing those goals. The goals are 7 in number  and to assist less
able nations, they added an eighth goal to form  development partnerships in
their various journeys toward the common goals. The  UN promised to undertake
monitoring and encouragement of these nations and  partnerships and so they
produce reports every so often to track progress. A  report was completed in
2003, 2005, and recently in 2007. The second URL  above is the 2005 Report. The
Millennium Declaration does not place any  obligation on any participating
nation to give anything to any other idiot. The  relevant development partnerships
must be consulted to review promises and  contracts among nations. It is sort
of like a Pair Effort where nations  associate themselves with other desiring
nations and partner toward achieving  the Global Millennium Goals.

Now then, as you can see, the 8 goals are:
1. Eradicate extreme Poverty and hunger.
2. Achieve universal primary education.
3. Promote gender equality and empower women.
4. Reduce Child mortality.
5. Improve maternal health.
6. Combat HIV / AIDS, malaria, and other diseases.
7. Ensure environmental sustainability.
8. Develop a global partnership for development.

It is no accident that the goals appear in the order that they do. It means
that goals 1 thru 7 must be achieved in tandem with goal 8 or perhaps better
before goal 8 can harness values. For example; you would not expect Gambia  to
participate in trade anywhere on an equal footing with Senegal if Gambia does
 not make any meaningful effort toward eradicating extreme poverty and
hunger,  achieving universal primary education, promoting gender equality and the
empowerment of women, reducing child mortality, prevalence of HIV/AIDS, and
malaria, in an environmentally sustainable manner. Nor would you ask Spain to
absorb Gambia's diseased and ill-prepared children. In effect, instead of
lament  Gambia's lack of Millennium Development partners or donations from more
developed countries, I think the Vice President ought to have shared what
concrete steps her administration has taken in achieving any of the goals  of the
MDG. In fairness to her, Ajaratou, the vice president has shared that her
administration has just (in 2007), concluded their second Poverty Reduction
Strategy Paper. And she shares that burden with her delegation to the UN. A
question then arises: Why since 2000 when the MDGs were adopted, that The Gambia
government has only embarked on the production of policy papers? How  many
strategic policy papers do they intend to produce before they begin  implementing
any one of them? And are those strategy papers dependent on gifts,  grants, and
circumstance from generous countries? How do they intend to find  those
generous countries therefore? I remembered an opportunity they squandered  in
receiving aid from the US based on the Millennium Project. That aid went to  Ghana
instead and Ghana is putting it to good use. I recommend Gambia take a  look
at Ghana's representative's speech on this issue of beggars and  spoilers.

I will give you an opportunity to digest the 2005 Millennium Development
Progress Report by the UN before we review Gambia's performance in detail. I
caution good study and that this review process could take a week or two.

Thank you coleagues for your audience. Haroun Masoud. MQDT.  Darbo.