GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:26:20 -0800
Greetings,
I just came from downtown Seattle which is currently considered a
"restricted access" zone.  that means that no protests are allowed within
certain streets, but also regular citizens are being stopped, asked for
ID, searched and in many cases denied access to their city.  The National
Guard is marching down the streets and police in riot gear are arresting
peaceful protesters by the busload. Many people have been teargassed and
shot with rubber bullets--this morning I photographed a young man whose
entire body was covered in bruises from rubber bullets.  There is no
denying that a small number of people went nuts last night and engaged in
mindless stupid violence, looting and rioting (most do not appear to be
part of any organized protest whatsoever and some were apparently local
teenagers looking for an adrenaline high).  As these images go out into
the global media, however, I hope that people will remember that this is
not all that is happening in our city.  Wednesday, thousands of people
gathered for an interfaith service, organized by Jubilee 2000, calling for
debt relief and later formed a peaceful human chain around the opening WTO
reception, then symbolically breaking the chain of debt.  Likewise,
yesterday something in the neighbourhood of 20,000
activists--environmental, human rights, labor--marched in peace and
dignity and focused on issues rather than media attention.
If anyone is interested in more information from "the front" e-mail me in
private, Ylva